Vita Version is Horrible

diskdocx

Seriously, I think this may be one of the worse Vita games I have ever played. I quite enjoyed Shattered Dimensions, and did buy (although never got around to playing) Edge of Time, so I figured I would grab the Vita version of this one.

I realize Beenox didn't do the port, but in my opinion this is far below standard.

The graphics are pretty poor. There is considerable stuttering in sections, I've seen cars run through each other or your character, the city is quite dull and many of the characters are lacking basic textures. I would think this would pass as a poor PS2 game.

While I didn't expect this to rival the PS3 version, recent Vita games have demonstrated just how great games can look if given the proper attention - Killzone, Tearaway - even some of the first run games like Uncharted look far better.

I also found the controls quite poor, and the camera terrible.

This feels like a rushed port, and well below expected quality for a full priced game.

Compounding the above is the fact that the game itself isn't very good. I think there was 5 hours of story max, with the rest of the time coming from inane challenges (seriously, call them infected citizens or escaped patients, but the task is mindnumingly identical - pick them up, drop them off, repeat 50 more times). And don't get me started on the 700 comic pages. Seriously, who asks for more game time swinging around looking for a small glowing rectangle than the actual story. At least you can look forward to hearing one of the 5 or so 'witty' comments repeated several hundred times :2walls:

Despite all of the above, the thing that most annoyed me was Spidey's comment while working on the escaped patients. Several times I heard "time to put the dogs back in the cage". This is 2014, and that is completely inappropriate. And we wonder why society continues to stigmatize the mentally ill. Disgusting. :mad:

It sounds like it might be a port from the PS3 version then. All those same things are there in the PS3 version. Pretty much all the character models in the game look like a PS2 game.

With that said, I enjoyed the game well enough that I would consider playing again on the Vita if Gamefly gets it so that I can rent it. How did they do the controls for webslinging? I ask because it is R2 on the PS3 version. Since there is no second set of shoulder buttons, I am hoping that it did not get mapped do the rear touch panel. Same question for how to do the camera for taking pictures since it was L2.

It sounds like it might be a port from the PS3 version then. All those same things are there in the PS3 version. Pretty much all the character models in the game look like a PS2 game.

With that said, I enjoyed the game well enough that I would consider playing again on the Vita if Gamefly gets it so that I can rent it. How did they do the controls for webslinging? I ask because it is R2 on the PS3 version. Since there is no second set of shoulder buttons, I am hoping that it did not get mapped do the rear touch panel. Same question for how to do the camera for taking pictures since it was L2.

Webswing is :vitar:. The camera was :right: (I think, might have been :left:). :vital: was webrush.

Again, I'm not just focusing on the graphics, but I have seen the video guides for the PS3 version - trust me, it is light years ahead of the Vita version. If you think the PS3 version looked bad.... :whistle:

are the controls bad or is it you just don't like the game/graphics? I'm the guy who likes to just hop in the game and swing around the city so I'm glad they put the comic books in there as a a little mini thing to watch out for. 700 is a lot though but in the ps3 version they are everywhere. I wonder with the smaller vita screen if it makes it difficult to see them.

• 2 months later...

I finally got this on Vita and personally I think it's great. It fits into the movies decently enough that if you're a fan it'll be fun. I think Spider-Man's graphics are pretty awesome for the Vita (his costume) and while the rest of the city and everything is pretty lacking it's not complete garbage at all. What's is fun is the controls are fairly simple and it's fun to swing around and go nuts in the city once you get upgraded a little bit and get used to it. I also love how some form of stealth mechanics have been added, he responds to my controls fluidly, and the fighting animations are varied and not boring for what essentially amounts to a button-mashing hack-n-slash style fighting game. I love sneaking on the ceiling and just snagging up a guy or two and then web-retreating to disappear and strike again. I'm sure the PS3 version is better in general, but as somebody who understands the charm of these handhelds, I preferred this version so I got it and I think its been a blast.

I also love how little loading there its, and the frame rate stuttering you mentioned is there, but it seems to happen most when entering a new area cause the game loads as you go. I personally think it's nice cause tons of great Vita games will just give you loading screens constantly. At least this game is trying to give you a full experience with minimal loading or loading as you go. I think if you are a handheld fan and a Spider-Man fan you'll enjoy the game enough. Maybe not worth $40 but I got mine for $20 and I'm happy.

By the way, I'm a Metal Gear fan. So I know what quality is and I prefer it. I guess I just didn't go into Vita Spider-Man expecting much and it wowed me enough to be satisfied. Anyways, I'm going back to randomly swinging through the city collecting comic pages. It's been mindlessly fun!

I think I'll be grabbing the sequel for my PS4 as the graphics look insane on it and there's no Vita version for it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I cant agree with TS. This game is overall very good. You are playing on vita so you cant expect too much. We have open world, nice story, we can play as Spidey and thats great. Collecting isnt too bad, Im enjoying the process of travelling in the city. Combat system is very close to Batman series and thats a plus too. So overall Spider man on vita is really good game, and of course for portable system this is a good choice.

• 6 months later...
I cant agree with TS. This game is overall very good. You are playing on vita so you cant expect too much. We have open world, nice story, we can play as Spidey and thats great. Collecting isnt too bad, Im enjoying the process of travelling in the city. Combat system is very close to Batman series and thats a plus too. So overall Spider man on vita is really good game, and of course for portable system this is a good choice.

Agree fully. I just finished it on the Vita and enjoyed it a lot. Decent difficulty (I played on the hardest), ok controls and no lag/crash. Looks quite ok also (for a portable).

No real issue with the collectibles either, first ~400 comic books came naturally by just playing and keeping an eye out for them.

• 4 months later...

As the title of the OP says... The Vita version is horrible! Of course it is, it's the Vita. Every game I've played on the Vita has been horrible and much harder than the console version.

This game is pure ugly. Seriously man throw-up looks better than this sloppy, rushed port. The framerate is horrible. Constant lag. Wonky, finicky controls and camera. The PS3 version is nowhere near as bad as this. I regret buying both the NA and EU versions because now I have to go through this twice.

If you don't care about stacking trophies than stay away from the Vita port and go with the PS3 version instead.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

There was nothing wrong with this game. The frame rate rarely dropped, maybe once or twice, and never in the high action scenes. The graphics are fine, I seriously have no idea what you're talking about. They're obviously not PS3 quality, but for 2014, these are damn good. The controls take a bit of getting used to, but that's the case for every Spider-Man game since the very nature of Spider-Man's wall-crawling ability makes it so the camera flips quite often. The only Spider-Man games this doesn't apply to are the old 2D side-scrollers.

The only complaint I have is the loading, but I know that's due to how "big" the world is.

• 2 years later...
There was nothing wrong with this game. The frame rate rarely dropped, maybe once or twice, and never in the high action scenes. The graphics are fine, I seriously have no idea what you're talking about. They're obviously not PS3 quality, but for 2014, these are damn good. The controls take a bit of getting used to, but that's the case for every Spider-Man game since the very nature of Spider-Man's wall-crawling ability makes it so the camera flips quite often. The only Spider-Man games this doesn't apply to are the old 2D side-scrollers.

The only complaint I have is the loading, but I know that's due to how "big" the world is.

Maybe I will give it a shot then, if i can find it cheap :)

I'm gonna get this to complete my Spider-Man game stacks, but it's so expensive despite most of them being pre-owned. Ranges from £35-£55. This would be the last Spidey game in my back-to-back stacks. It's encouraging to read that most of you folks here still say it's a good game. After what Insomniac Games had offered to us, the older games now look kinda dated and for a couple they seem to not have aged well. ASM1-Vita would be the last game in the series I'm playing:

1. Marvel's Spider-Man (completed)

2. Edge of Time (completed)

3. Shattered Dimensions (completed)

4. Amazing Spider-Man 2 - (PS4/PS3 completed)

5. Amazing Spider-Man 1 - (Vita/PS3 completed)

I was worried that being the last in the order of play, it would leave a bitter taste in the mouth after starting with an all-time high with MSMPS4. I've checked some YouTube videos and reviews and as some of you have mentioned here, the graphics was poured into Spidey's costume. I enjoyed the PS3 version so I was kinda expecting the Vita would give me the same experience? We'll see...

Also the mention of trophies on the Vita being much less. I've checked them out so anyone who would also want to play this game, for whatever reason or purpose they have would be aware of them.

These trophies were not included in the list compared to the PS3 version:

(B) Apparent Defeat - Defeat Iguana.

Wow this is a good thing. I remember getting a bit frustrated trying to beat him on the PS3 version, and his mission is kinda long so yeah... awesome!

(B) Down for the Count - Defeat Rhino in the sewers.

Looks like they've omitted the sewer missions which includes Iguana. I'm okay with that!

(B) Amazing Spider-Man - Unlock all concept art.

A collectible trophy less. That can only be a good thing. Can't remember if this was a big chore, or if it's tied up to some missions or something. Anyway less sidetracking from the main objective is good.

(B) The Camera Loves You - Complete all XTreme Video challenges.

Thank God for removing this. It would be frustrating doing this on the Vita I presume. I guess it's because of the lack of those extra :l2: :r2: triggers.

(B) A Dash of Spider - Complete all XTreme Race challenges.

This one too! Glad that's it's not included.

Apart from the grindy 700 comic books, the trimmed-down list should be manageable. I'm kinda excited on playing this soon. And with stealth still a viable option, things shouldn't be that difficult right?

700 is a lot though but in the ps3 version they are everywhere. I wonder with the smaller vita screen if it makes it difficult to see them.

F* YES! It's so hard, I actually do not see them right away... I just get the :l1: prompt and hope for the best. I don't know how will I be able to manage once I get to lower numbers... not having as good of an eyesight as when I was way younger adds to that difficulty.

EDIT: 26.04.20198

The last 200 weren't that hard since we will have a location indicator to show us where the remaining ones are located. I have totally forgotten about this.

----------

Actually for a VITA game it isn't bad at all. I mean it is in 3D compared to what :pvita: is more popular for - visual novels. It's definitely not as detailed as the PS3 version but what they did to the Spidey costume making it the highlight of the game's visuals is clever. You tend to focus more on Spider-Man and forget the rest. As for the freeroam buildings, you also get so used to it that it ends up okay in the end. So far I'm having fun especially with the auto-lock ons/auto-snap with the dumbed-down controls compared to the console version, obviously because of the absence of a second set of triggers (:l2:/:r2:)... I'm quite pleased with it, so to any Spidey game (super) fans out there - GO FOR IT!

The only gripe I have is the battery draining out when you're so immersed in the game. The Vita blacked-out during the Whitney escape chapter - yep the one with the flirting LOL.

Edited by Naps

• 4 weeks later...
I was going to do both the ps3 and vita version. Now only ps3.

I hope you stuck with avoiding the :pvita:... I spoke too soon having just played the game before doing the "bosses". This Vita is not meant to receive any amount of button mashing. This damn thing is so fragile and I feel that I've worn it off for playing this game on it. I also firmly believe the lack of any AAA game support from Sony says it all - the VITA is built for visual novels, and perhaps racing games and a few shooters as long as there is no button spamming/mashing. For fighting/combat games I don't think this tiny tech of a machine is built for that. With the DS4s it's easy to open it up and replaced the worn out silicon button contacts, but for the VITA? No way man...

Yeah true for a VITA the graphics for ASM1 is "acceptable". But I personally believe that a game like ASM1 should not have been released on the VITA. Just because they could fit the game in an SD cartridge doesn't mean they should consider releasing it on that format. For an open world game the Vita screen is so small. I'm not particularly worried about not defeating the bosses, I'm playing Super-hero difficulty and I've reached S-02 without any problems... what I'm worried about is the state of my handheld after I complete the game/plat. It's not worth playing this game on the Vita... HECK even My Name Is Mayo should not be played on the Vita. For a cheap game like that, breaking your Vita bottons because of it - just for an easy plat is never worth it.