10 Bucks well spent or wasted?

One More Thing

I recently signed up for playstation plus; and I'm glad I did, but one draw back is that now I'm skittish to pay full price when stuff comes out, only to have the plus discount come a month or two later. I know it's only a couple bucks, but it's more a matter of principle. To me, based on the mixed reviews this seems to have at minimum a plus price drop, and probably just a flat out playstation store price drop in it's near future.

I was wondering if people who've purchased it feel like it's worth the ten dollars, I'm tempted because I loved the classic, but it sounds like it doesn't even offer the classic mode; is this true?

it sounds like it doesn't even offer the classic mode; is this true?

The marathon mode is there but it doesn't go on forever. Once you beat lv 15 the game ends. I think this is for the best though, since you're encouraged to go for the more rewarding but riskier moves (Tetris and T-spins) rather than keep it safe with simples and doubles and play forever. A whole game from lv 1 to lv 15 should last about 25 minutes.

As for the $10 price tag, as much as I love the game, I do think it's a bit too much. A price drop will surely come, but who knows when it'll happen. Are you willing to wait for 6 months or more to save 2 bucks?

The marathon mode is there but it doesn't go on forever. Once you beat lv 15 the game ends. I think this is for the best though, since you're encouraged to go for the more rewarding but riskier moves (Tetris and T-spins) rather than keep it safe with simples and doubles and play forever. A whole game from lv 1 to lv 15 should last about 25 minutes.

Thank you very much for the info.

Edited by One More Thing

Well I think for the ps plus members, you're better off going with the program's pace. If you're really into tetris, then 10 bucks should not be a problem considering other games can go up to $70.

Personally, I can't see myself spending a lot of time in front of my TV playing tetris even if I bought it. But that's just me =/

It's a very sterile and basic version of Tetris, the sound effects get a little annoying, and only a few decent in-game music tracks...and like Tetris DS I find most of the non-traditional modes to be novelty and not fun after first few times.

The fans need to speak up and get someone to make a port of The New Tetris (Nintendo 64) to PSN, complete with online and just upscaled to 720p/1080p. The best (and most under-appreciated) Tetris game of all time. Gold/silver block mechanic, great soundtrack, great art and level atmospheres, great stats mixing with motivation to keep playing (building the World Wonders), etc.

It's a very sterile and basic version of Tetris, the sound effects get a little annoying, and only a few decent in-game music tracks...and like Tetris DS I find most of the non-traditional modes to be novelty and not fun after first few times.

The fans need to speak up and get someone to make a port of The New Tetris (Nintendo 64) to PSN, complete with online and just upscaled to 720p/1080p. The best (and most under-appreciated) Tetris game of all time. Gold/silver block mechanic, great soundtrack, great art and level atmospheres, great stats mixing with motivation to keep playing (building the World Wonders), etc.

Right on! The New Tetris for N64 is easily the best version of Tetris I've ever played (and I've played a ton over the last 25 years or so). I still have an N64 and a single game cart that never leaves it... The New Tetris. I was very disappointed that this version didn't have a mode where you can make the super-blocks for a bonus. Maybe they could still add it with DLC...

Overall this version is average imo... but it has potential to be improved.

I think it's 10$ well spent. Tetris is Tetris, and you get exactly what you pay for. I love it, especially if you want some fun battles with friends. Even Marathon I play over and over. Tetris gods may find it lacking because Marathon doesn't go on forever, but for the average player like me it is great. I felt so satisfied when I beat the Origin variant on Level 10.

• 2 months later...

I picked up Tetris recently while on sale for $5 and I wouldn't pay more than that much for it... for $10, after all, you can pick up Lumines Supernova, which is 10x the game Tetris ever was.

One thing I've got to say about this game that really irritates the piss out of me is the load times. It's fucking Tetris... if I didn't have load times in '89 when I was playing this on the Gameboy, where are they coming from now in 2011? It's certainly not from the amazing graphics or anything. Another irritating thing is the lag when bringing up the pause menu, which has caused me to Resume instead of Restart several times -- and each time you've got to sit through a countdown until you can access the menu again.

And EA persists with their insistence that you sign up for an EA Online account, which they prompt you to do just about every time the game tries to do anything, whether it be load, save, start a game, restart a game, etc.

Edited by jqtaxpayer

• 3 months later...

I absolutely love Tetris and always play it on any system I can get it for. I think it is 10 well spent because it is one of the fun party games I can play with friends and keep my hand eye coordination up. It may be somewhat mindless, but the game is still very fun and enjoyable, especially with friends if you are all about the same skill level.

-fidaamica

geeky chic

• 4 months later...

For me it was a waste of money, no were near as fun as I thought it would be.

It feels very generic and watered down to me, I only found one or two modes that are any fun at all.

I find it more annoying and boring than anything else, and I can only play in very short spells, before I'm just like screw it.........done!!

But that's just my opinion, you may love it.

• 1 year later...

I like it, it has a much higher replay value than most games. The battles are always fun.

If you are complaining about $10 and a 5 second load time in between games, then I think you may have some bigger problems in life that you need to address.