Terraria Pumpkin/Frost Moon guide (From Pre-Pumpkin Moon to Post Frost Moon items)

optimusmart

Hey all,

A lot of people are having trouble farming the Moons (pumpkin/frost) for items, especially for the Trophy related pets.

And so because of this and the fact that most the Moon guides out there are made using Post Moon items, I thought I would make a simple guide on how to first farm the Pumpkin moon with Pre-moon items which then leads to farming the Frost moon!

To be able to get to this point in the game you would be experienced with Terraria so I won't be explaining everything thoroughly so refer to the wiki if you require any info that I haven't explained, for example how to get a certain item or weapon.

This first video sees me set up a basic moon arena with pre-moon items which I then reach the final wave with. Just keeping farming the wave until you get your required items. If you wish, save the game at 7:10pm, if you don't get the items you want by the end of the moon, exit without saving, then reload to save you waiting a game day for the next night. However if you have a item you wish to keep, but still require another item, obviously you must wait!

The videos are pretty self-explanatory, pause where needed.

What to bear in mind for the pre-pumpkin moon setup and some applies to Frost Moon also:

- I kept creating new worlds until I spawned in one that was fairly flat in the spawn area. Although you can flatten an area out yourself if you wish. Moons can be summoned in pre-hardmode worlds.

-Make sure there are no big holes in the ground just off-screen your arena area, as the enemies may spawn there. If you do notice any enemies spawning in nearby holes you missed then fill them in. Enemies can spawn within 84 tiles to the left or right of the player and 47 tiles above or below and cannot spawn within 62 tiles horizontally and about 35 tiles vertically within the proximity of the player.

-You definitely need the spikes, make sure your defence is 80 or above, then make sure your touching a spike almost always as they negate most other attacks (but not enemy contact). I grapple to them just to be sure i'm always in contact!

-The heart lantern and campfire are key!

-Make sure you have at least 1500 explosive bunnies.

-Be careful when leaving your spot to collect items (in the video I made

the mistake of forgetting to equip a 'no knockback' accessory!). 'Rod of Discord' can be useful.

-I've made the arena straight above the initial spawn location so I can use the mirror sometimes to warp to the items easier.

Another set-up you could use is make the arena a bit lower down so the the mirror spawns you inside your base,i have used that method before.

- Only so many items can be on screen at once and then the item on the ground longest will despawn. If you see an important item drop, grab it straight away to prevent it despawning.

-The spiky ball traps are found in the Lihzard Temple.

-Duplicate your items using the upload/download character method.

-What Accessories you use on Pumpkin Moon don't really matter because you are using the Bunny Cannon which accessories don't affect. Just make sure your defence is over 80 as stated above.

-Make sure your base is a similar height to mine (18 tiles at least above the ground) otherwise the spiky balls may bounce up and hit you.

Enjoy

This second video shows a Frost Moon setup using The Horseman's Blade (drops from PumpKing).

Bear in mind:

-Some of the same aspects apply from the Pumpkin Moon arena: spikes, spiky ball traps for example. But this one does require the statues because killing the enemies so quick are what spawns the Horsemans Blade Homing pumpkins.

- The accessories I use on this do need taking note of and the potions as its this that allow me to make so much damage. Although this is still a good method with different accessories, you just may not reach wave 18.

- I reached wave 18 about 8 times before getting the 'mischief whistle' drop, I had killed about 80 ice Queens. Others may be luckier or may take longer, just be patient.

-Again, be very careful when collecting items.

I think I covered everything but Any questions please ask

Kind regards

Edited by optimusmart

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...