Legion (TV Series)

The_Spider-Fan

I thought I'd share this bit of news I've read today as I know the regular TV/Movie posters on this site have debated Fox and Marvel working together before, especially around the recently released Fantastic 4 film. It looks like they have buit a truce of sorts to develop TV together :eek:

In a two-project kinbergagreement between Marvel and Fox Networks Group, FX and Fox are moving ahead with two TV dramas set in the world of X-Men, both executive produced by the film franchise’s director, Bryan Singer, producer Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg as well as Marvel TV’s Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory. FX has given a pilot order to Legion, written/executive produced by Fargo creator Noah Hawley, while Fox has closed deals to develop the long-rumored Hellfire (working title), created by Evan Katz (24: Live Another Day), Manny Coto (24), Patrick McKay (Star Trek 3) and JD Payne (Star Trek 3).

Neither series has the X-Men branding though both are set in the same universe and both stem from 20th Century Fox’s Marvel deal for the rights to the X-Men franchise, which has spawned 11 movies, including several that are in the pipeline. The deals expand Marvel’s live-action TV footprint, adding to the company’s two existing series and a pilot at ABC and four series and a limited series at Netflix.

Legion introduces the story of David Haller: Since he was a teenager, David has struggled with mental illness. Diagnosed as schizophrenic, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. But after a strange encounter with a fellow patient, he’s confronted with the possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees might be real. He’s based on the Marvel comics character Legion, the son of X-Men founder Charles Xavier (played by Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy in the films), first introduced in 1985.

Hawley will write the pilot and serve as an executive producer with Shuler Donner, Singer, Kinberg, Loeb, Chory, John Cameron (Fargo) and Steve Blackman. The pilot for Legion will be produced by FX Productions and Marvel Television, with FXP handling the physical production.

“Legion is just the sort of ambitious story that Noah excels at,” FX’s Nick Grad said. “His adaption of Fargo for television was one of the most acclaimed television events in recent memory. It’s also an honor to partner with Marvel on Legion and to enlist such an accomplished team of Executive Producers to create this pilot.”

Set in the late 1960s, Hellfire, produced by 20th Century Fox TV and Marvel Television, with 20th Century Fox handling the physical production – follows a young Special Agent who learns that a power-hungry woman with extraordinary abilities is working with a clandestine society of millionaires – known as “The Hellfire Club” – to take over the world. A different version of The Hellfire Club was previously seen as the primary antagonists of X-Men: First Class, led by Kevin Bacon’s Sebastian Shaw.

“We are thrilled to partner with Marvel to bring this world to television and build upon the vibrant mythology that has captivated fans for years,” said Fox Entertainment president David Madden. “These powerful and dynamic characters are complicated and larger-than-life, the pace and visual imagination are unrelenting, and the story takes place during one of the most explosive eras in recent history. ”

McKay and Payne will write the pilot script, based on a story by Katz, Coto, McKay and Payne. Shuler Donner, Singer and Kinberg executive produce with Marvel TV’s Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory will executive-produce the pilot, alongside Katz and Coto, who will serve as showrunners.

Source: ‘X-Men’ Marvel TV Dramas Set: FX Orders ‘Legion’ Pilot | Deadline

Edited by The_Spider-Fan

She's in the new X-Men movie mate :rolleyes:

Doesn't mean we're going to hear from her. There's a difference between being a character in the back-drop who the credits "claim" is Jubilee and being an actual featured character who, you know, speaks and does stuff. Technically, she was in some of the earlier movies. At least, there were cameos by a girl who, again, we only knew was Jubilee because the credits said she was.

Doesn't mean we're going to hear from her. There's a difference between being a character in the back-drop who the credits "claim" is Jubilee and being an actual featured character who, you know, speaks and does stuff. Technically, she was in some of the earlier movies. At least, there were cameos by a girl who, again, we only knew was Jubilee because the credits said she was.

Sorry to break it to you again but I hear from the old interwebs that she is going to be a much larger part of the new film than a background character. She's part of the new, younger team of mutants (Jean Grey, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, et al) that are being trained by Prof. X.

I'm not a fan of her character btw.

Sorry to break it to you again but I hear from the old interwebs that she is going to be a much larger part of the new film than a background character. She's part of the new, younger team of mutants (Jean Grey, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, et al) that are being trained by Prof. X.

I'm not a fan of her character btw.

Curses! Well, there goes that movie... :(

• 4 weeks later...

Update on Legion:

Since the news broke about the two in-development X-Men TV projects – Hellfire and Legion - we haven’t heard a great deal more about them. Now, stalwart X-Men producer Simon Kinberg has broken the silence.

“Legion and Hellfire are both super active,” he confirmed to Collider. “Hellfire we’re hoping to be shooting at the beginning of next year, the pilot. It’s been extraordinary working with [Fargo alum] Noah Hawley [on Legion], who I think is a straight up genius.” Kinberg goes on to mention that Legion will probably shoot early next year, as well.

“I mean the thing that’s cool and that’s the hope in branching out to TV is that we can tell these X-Men stories in a slightly different way and even with a slightly different tone,” he continued. “It’s one of the thing we’re kind of doing in the different movie franchises. I mean Deadpool obviously has a very different, almost antithetical tone to the mainline X-Men movies. The X-Men movies are dramatic and almost operatic, whereas Deadpool is irreverent and hysterical and sort of a dirty R-rated comedy in many ways. And Gambit will have its own different flavor and tone to it, will be more of like a heist movie and a sexy thriller in a way.”

“So the TV shows give us an opportunity to go even further and certainly what I’m seeing on Legion with Noah and FX is an intent to do something completely original in the genre, in some ways to sort of blow up the paradigm of comic book or superhero stories and almost do our Breaking Bad of superhero stories.”

Now there's a comparison that has our attention. Sadly, Mr Kinberg didn't elaborate any further.

If you’re unfamiliar with the concept, Legion is all about a mutant called David Haller whose powers are an amalgam of various personalities and abilities. The battle within him will likely be the focal point of the series. Hellfire, on the other hand, will show us a team of villains akin to The Hellfire Club of X-Men: First Class (albeit with a new cast, we’d expect).

Legion is in development for the FX network, while Hellfire is destined for Fox. More on both shows as we hear it.

Source: Legion: X-Men TV show dubbed the 'Breaking Bad of superhero stories

• 1 year later...
I don't know this thread btw holy shit! another more shows by marvel studios

I'm looking forward to this show. Legion first appeared as a villain, so this might be another show like Breaking Bad in away. Where you're watching a character portrayed as a protagonist but turns out to be the antagonist and anithero. I believe he will be a villain like character as the series progresses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm looking forward to this show. Legion first appeared as a villain, so this might be another show like Breaking Bad in away. Where you're watching a character portrayed as a protagonist but turns out to be the antagonist and anithero. I believe he will be a villain like character as the series progresses.

I'm interesting this, and I'll try to watch first episode.

I had watched the first episode yesterday and it was good. It's well worth sticking around for this series. The first episode is quite long, was about 1 hour and 7 minutes. You might be confused on David's mutant powers. I'm sure the show will explain it as it goes further into the season(s). If you want, it might be best to watch an origin video to get a better understand on who David will become:

[ame]

[/ame]

• 6 months later...

This show is thoroughly amazing. Every episode left me with goose bumps for the next episode. You have to know Noah's work, rather than be a x-men fan. They threw the rule book out of the window and went completely inside the mind of Legion. Such a delicious brain dripping treat. You won't find such good experimental tv for a while. It's clockwork orange meets the shining meets fargo. Great cinematography, shot for shot. ;)

I need to finish this. I had stopped on like episode 4. :(

Mmmm, yes, do yourself the favor. And remember, it's not x-men, it's superb experimental tv by noah. He goes psychedelic into Legion's mind and experience. Stan Lee still has a production credit but is a no-show himself. This is a deep cut into the psychological marvel universe. It really gives the DC universe a run for its money. Just enjoy it and all the spectacular shots.;)