Supergirl (TV Series)

Blaze Naruto Shippuden

http://media.dcentertainment.com/sites/default/files/imce/2014/09-SEP/DCE_Supergirl_lr_541c4e84123d55.23417656.jpg

Looks like the Man of Steel isn’t the only Kryptonian you’ll soon be seeing on screen.

Yes, the news of its development broke a few weeks ago, but today it was made official. As reported this morning, Berlanti Productions, in association with Warner Bros. Television, will be producing a Supergirl television series for CBS, which has given the show a series commitment.

If the Berlanti name sounds familiar to you, it should. It’s the production company of Greg Berlanti, the Executive Producer of both Arrow and the upcoming The Flash. He’ll serve as Executive Producer of Supergirl as well, along with Ali Adler and Sarah Schechter. As for what fans can expect from the show, it sounds like Berlanti and team will be keeping pretty faithful to the comics:

Born on the planet Krypton, Kara Zor-el escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.

Supergirl first appeared in ACTION COMICS #252 back in May, 1959, and eventually went on to become one of the core members of the Superman family. This won’t be her first onscreen appearance, having previously been the star of a 1984 feature film starring Helen Slater, as well as a supporting character on The CW’s Smallville. She’s also appeared in animation, including Superman: The Animated Series and Justice League Unlimited, as well in several DC Universe Original Animated Movies, including the recent Superman: Unbound.

Look for more news on her most recent live action iteration here on DCComics.com as it breaks.

Seen this on the official DC Comics website

Source

Edit:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgA8iEnR5_o]CBS Orders Supergirl Series - IGN News - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by Blaze Naruto Shippuden
ign video

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
At least it's on CBS and not CW. I can't take another cheesy super hero show like Arrow and Flash. I'll be giving it a shot.

What's wrong with Arrow/Flash? Anyhow its cool Supergirl is getting her own show. Wish Laura Vandervoot was gonna be her again. However, I know it'd take away from the new show too much. Not sure how I feel about Claire Holt up for the role yet. Don't know her to well.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm kind of glad though that CBS has decided against allowing crossovers with The Flash and Arrow. Its just from the look of the trailer, it doesn't seem as though it meshes well with either show in tone. I mean, you could probably just get away with crossovers with The Flash, at a push, but never Arrow. Then again, with Arrow set to have a more lighter tone in S4, who knows. And seeing as though CBS co-owns The CW and Greg Berlanti produces all three shows I doubt their decision will last long. Especially if Supergirl doesn't get the desired ratings right off the bat, they might consider crossovers to gain more viewers. It worked for The Flash with its Arrow crossovers after all.

Edited by ForceGrip86

I'm kind of glad though that CBS has decided against allowing crossovers with The Flash and Arrow. Its just from the look of the trailer, it doesn't seem as though it meshes well with either show in tone. I mean, you could probably just get away with crossovers with The Flash, at a push, but never Arrow. Then again, with Arrow set to have a more lighter tone in S4, who knows. And seeing as though CBS co-owns The CW and Greg Berlanti produces all three shows I doubt their decision will last long. Especially if Supergirl doesn't get the desired ratings right off the bat, they might consider crossovers to gain more viewers. It worked for The Flash with its Arrow crossovers after all.
See, I think CBS is making the wrong move here. I predicted a few weeks ago during the episode of Flash where Barry mentions a test pilot disappearing (the possible nod to Hal Jordan getting abducted by Abin Sur to join the Green Lantern Corps), that there's a very good chance we could be getting a Justice League show in the future (likely around the time of the Justice League Part 1 movie).

Now considering the first look trailer for Supergirl mentions that Superman is already an existing character in the Universe has me really hopeful for that. But I won't fully be convinced until Bruce Wayne is easter egged in some how (quick mention of Gotham City or Wayne Enterprises or something).

All in all I feel like Supergirl, Flash and Arrow would all benefit from doing a complete shared universe of TV shows. It would at least make up for their horrible decision to keep the shows and movie universes separate.

Edited by TheViper4Life

So I just watched the Pilot episode and it wasn't that bad to be honest.

[spoiler=ghghg]

First and foremost I was curious to see what type of villains we can expect from this show, what with Smallville having used the whole kryptonite infused humans to death. I'm happy to see that they went with prisoners that escaped from the Phantom Zone, the first of them being Vartox, although a whole lot less powerful version than the comics version. I do have one concern that apparently all of these prisoners will want to kill Kara because her mother put them in the Phantom Zone to begin with. That seems a little one dimensional and I hope they flesh out some of the villains a little more so they don't seem so one note.

The special effects were good. Not movie level good, obviously, but for a tv show they were surprisingly decent. And the two fight scenes between Kara and Vartox were solid to. Good hard hitting brawling which is what you would expect from two people with so much strength and power. I always felt on Smallville that the fight scenes never lasted long enough.

What you essentially got from the pilot was the basic storytelling that has been done a million times before with superheroes. Person decides to use their powers to save people. Fails spectacularly to begin with. Thinks about giving up before getting that inspirational pep talk that sets them back on the path. I wasn't expecting anything different so that was no shock to me.

One thing I don't particularly like though is that Kara is essentially portrayed as an awkward bumbling mess who works in a media job. I mean, I know she is the female Superman, but come on. I was hoping they would put a little bit of a new twist on things. And having her sister working as part of a task force that protects against aliens was a little much if you ask me, but whatever, we'll see if that dynamic adds something going forward.

And finally, stop with all the gratuitous Superman references.

All in all it was solid for a pilot episode. I do love the fact that Kara's adoptive parents are played by TV's Superman and the movie's Supergirl.

Also, one more note about whether or not they think of doing crossovers in the future with Arrow and The Flash. I really don't get how they would do it now having witnessed the sheer strength and destruction that the villain from Supergirl's pilot episode was capable of. Seriously, in a straight up fight against Arrow or Flash or both, he would have dominated them in seconds.

So I just watched the Pilot episode and it wasn't that bad to be honest.

[spoiler=ghghg]

First and foremost I was curious to see what type of villains we can expect from this show, what with Smallville having used the whole kryptonite infused humans to death. I'm happy to see that they went with prisoners that escaped from the Phantom Zone, the first of them being Vartox, although a whole lot less powerful version than the comics version. I do have one concern that apparently all of these prisoners will want to kill Kara because her mother put them in the Phantom Zone to begin with. That seems a little one dimensional and I hope they flesh out some of the villains a little more so they don't seem so one note.

The special effects were good. Not movie level good, obviously, but for a tv show they were surprisingly decent. And the two fight scenes between Kara and Vartox were solid to. Good hard hitting brawling which is what you would expect from two people with so much strength and power. I always felt on Smallville that the fight scenes never lasted long enough.

What you essentially got from the pilot was the basic storytelling that has been done a million times before with superheroes. Person decides to use their powers to save people. Fails spectacularly to begin with. Thinks about giving up before getting that inspirational pep talk that sets them back on the path. I wasn't expecting anything different so that was no shock to me.

One thing I don't particularly like though is that Kara is essentially portrayed as an awkward bumbling mess who works in a media job. I mean, I know she is the female Superman, but come on. I was hoping they would put a little bit of a new twist on things. And having her sister working as part of a task force that protects against aliens was a little much if you ask me, but whatever, we'll see if that dynamic adds something going forward.

And finally, stop with all the gratuitous Superman references.

All in all it was solid for a pilot episode. I do love the fact that Kara's adoptive parents are played by TV's Superman and the movie's Supergirl.

Also, one more note about whether or not they think of doing crossovers in the future with Arrow and The Flash. I really don't get how they would do it now having witnessed the sheer strength and destruction that the villain from Supergirl's pilot episode was capable of. Seriously, in a straight up fight against Arrow or Flash or both, he would have dominated them in seconds.Wait, pilot episode? Where did you see this!? :eek:

I thought the show didn't debut until November?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the Pilot got leaked early.