Why Do People Get So Offended By TV Shows?

oversoul53

I was thinking about this earlier.

I watch shows like Family Guy, South Park, Futurama, and Drawn Together. and all of them, (with the last one being the worst) make jokes that are over the line, racist, stereotypical, sexist, and generally offensive.

and ya know what?.... IT'S FUCKING AWESOME!!!! :applause::dance::D

I have yet to be able to fathom why people get so offended by the jokes in these shows...

here's a few reasons I think u shouldn't be offended....

1. it's a joke

2. it's a cartoon

3. it's a TV show

4. it's not serious

5. it's a CARTOON

anyways, the more offensive a joke is, the better it is.

my favorite type of humor is random and offensive satire.

I'm the kind of guy who watches Comedy Central Roast Of _____ and goes "ooohhhhhhhh" when someone makes a joke that was below the belt, then I just start rolling.

Personally, I think ppl need to just shut up, sit down, grow a pair of balls, and stop being so sensitive, it's just a TV show. if u don't like it, down't watch it.

Edited by oversoul53

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kira;1714927']Well I think you need to go back to school and take english again' date=' your grammar is terrible.[/quote']

if u mean me using abbreviations like "u" and "ppl" it's because I'm on the internet and that's how many ppl talk on the internet. Granted it started mainly with IMs and Texting, but it's widely used now.

I don't use bad grammar when doing homework or whatever, but on sites like this, it doesn't matter if u say people or ppl. either way is fine because you are on a forum site.

if u mean me using abbreviations like "u" and "ppl" it's because I'm on the internet and that's how many ppl talk on the internet. Granted it started mainly with IMs and Texting, but it's widely used now.

I don't use bad grammar when doing homework or whatever, but on sites like this, it doesn't matter if u say people or ppl. either way is fine because you are on a forum site.

Your right, it doesn't matter.* We might want to get this back on topic, this could be a pretty good thread. (For a legitimate reason, not just laughing at stupid shit people post)

*That is of course unless you want to be taken seriously in your opinions and perspectives when you communicate them.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/announcements/93981-ps3t-site-rules.html

2.0 - Bullet point 11 :fire:

As for the topic, people are sensitive and overly serious.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/announcements/93981-ps3t-site-rules.html

2.0 - Bullet point 11 :fire:

As for the topic, people are sensitive and overly serious.

wow, never noticed that before... seems to contradict the first amendment, but whatever, I won't make a case of it.

*sigh* Now I'm gonna have to change my whole persona again :mad:

anyways, back on topic...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VjJRpu_aO8]YouTube - Sarah Palin Takes on Fox's 'Family Guy' and Gets Grilled by Critics Over Notes on Her Hand[/ame]

this is the type of over-sensitivity I'm talking about.

Edited by oversoul53

With family guy I find it tends to try to make jokes but just comes off offensive and unfunny with peter says, namely the gay 'jokes' he makes are closer to hate slurs. Though it is kind of funny on the same show with stewie they make offecive yet funny jokes with/about him being gay. (though the bank vault episode was pretty gross.)

Oh also Drawn Together is pretty offensive and funny but it has nothing on the Canadian spoof of Big Brother aka Life's A Zoo.com.

Then there is another great offensive Canadian show called Kevin Spencer, one episode Percy spends the whole episode in black face, another episode he becomes a super hero knowen as drunken wellfair man, the whole family has each been arrested more then 200 times each and Kevin their kid is only 14, yet he smokes, drinks, does any type of drugs he can get his hands on, beats the crap out of anything that moves, is a thief, has torn a man apart in a secret island death fight and lots more.

Your right, it doesn't matter.* We might want to get this back on topic, this could be a pretty good thread. (For a legitimate reason, not just laughing at stupid shit people post)

*That is of course unless you want to be taken seriously in your opinions and perspectives when you communicate them.

I like how the guy criticizing grammar used the wrong you're. Not trying to start anything, just thought that was sorta funny. :p

Anyway, back on topic, people are way too serious nowadays. I can't believe an episode of Family Guy was banned from TV just because the plot was based around abortion. It's a cartoon people, not an informational program to be taken seriously... :rolleyes:

I can't believe an episode of Family Guy was banned from TV just because the plot was based around abortion. It's a cartoon people, not an informational program to be taken seriously... :rolleyes:

The Anti-Abortion movement in the States basically has every Republican in their pocket. I.E., they have a lot of influence amongst very influential people. Some calls were probably made, and it got the boot. They probably looked at it as a promotion of abortion or something.

Anyway, back on topic, people are way too serious nowadays. I can't believe an episode of Family Guy was banned from TV just because the plot was based around abortion. It's a cartoon people, not an informational program to be taken seriously... :rolleyes:

They still that showed that episode in the UK, we don't seem to mind too much what is on tv. People who get offended by Family would have a heart attack if they watched anything with Frankie Boyle in!

I don't know.

I've seen things on tv shows where the characters have made jokes which I personally should probably be offended by, but I don't care, simple as that. There is a reason that tvs come with tv remotes. They allow you go switch off shows you don't want to watch and/or change the channel.

Edited by HairySpud

They still that showed that episode in the UK, we don't seem to mind too much what is on tv. People who get offended by Family would have a heart attack if they watched anything with Frankie Boyle in!

Showed in Aus as well. If something like that gets banned, people just complain about political correctness gone wrong.

It still happens though - there's an Australian children songs that uses the word 'Gay' (as in happy) and it's stopped from being sung in school. I mean how goddamn stupid.

It's the fear of offending a minority (or vice versa) that creates this kind of attitude. Humour like South Park, Family Guy, etc is just a way of trying to tell people that they have to stop taking themselves so seriously.

It comes down to the way you see yourself and the world. Someone can laugh at a joke about asians, but if there was a joke about your own race, suddenly it's below the belt.

I like how the guy criticizing grammar used the wrong you're. Not trying to start anything, just thought that was sorta funny. :p

Haha, touche. I commonly just ignore what 'your' I'm using, I really should make a note to pay attention to it. :p

it really all depends like on the new episode of family guy it was very wrong of them to make fun of Michael J Fox illness that was just wrong on a lot of level's because that isn't funny a lot of people have that

but like with south park when they make fun of gingers all my friends laugh and 2 of them are ginger they never got offended by that

it really all depends like on the new episode of family guy it was very wrong of them to make fun of Michael J Fox illness that was just wrong on a lot of level's because that isn't funny a lot of people have that

see, "wrong" is just a matter of perception. That joke didn't bother me one bit. Why? because I grew a pair of balls and grew immune to things cartoons say.

This is what I'm talking about, instead of being offended u should just shrug it off like it doesn't matter, because ultimately.... it really doesn't matter.

This is how I look at life: if it won't matter 5 years from now then it's not worth stressing over.

see, "wrong" is just a matter of perception. That joke didn't bother me one bit. Why? because I grew a pair of balls and grew immune to things cartoons say.

This is what I'm talking about, instead of being offended u should just shrug it off like it doesn't matter, because ultimately.... it really doesn't matter.

This is how I look at life: if it won't matter 5 years from now then it's not worth stressing over.

Agree and Disagree

yes its a joke and yes people should stop getting offended but its the fact that this man actually sued because of this family guy just needs to cool it with making fun of people with illness......everyone will always make from of race color culture in cartoons

Of course, there are those who would make similar arguments about video games...

As a general rule, I agree that there is little point in getting riled up about a joke someone makes on television or in a movie. That said, I should point out a couple of things:

1. The defense of "they're just jokes" needs to be abandoned. Reason being, it suggests that humour is something frivolous that never deserves any consideration. The best humour is usually that in which the person behind it is using comedy as a way of saying something they deem important -- George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Michael Moore, etc. -- and saying, "Wel, it's just a joke," implies that nothing they say actually matters because of the way in which they are saying it.

2. It's not really fair to criticize someone for being offended by work that goes out of its way to be offensive. Anybody remember a couple seasons ago when Family Guy was shoehorning 9/11 references into every single episode in what seemed like more-and-more desperate attempts at shock value? With every passing year, we're seeing an increasing number of TV shows and movies that sacrifice depth and subtlety for constant shocks to our sensibilities, and it's only reasonable to assume that someone's going to take the bait.