Classic game, but man does it suck now...

I remember playing Tecmo Bowl when I was kid and loving it as it was the best thing around at that time. When I heard they were re-releasing it, I was excited as hell! Unfortunately, after playing through it now, man is this game terrible! I love it for the retro feel and for the memories of years gone by, but as far as gameplay goes, man it is HORRIBLE! I know it is the same as it was before, but I guess back then it seemed amazing although by today's standards it's piss poor.

The computer is stupid as hell on both sides of the ball (although worse on your side it seems), the QBs can't even throw to the selected receiver or really even in the vicinity of them half the time (and usually throw it right to a defender that isn't even near the original receiver for an interception), season mode is a joke as the computer gets insanely impossible to defeat as it just jacks up the teams stats it seems (even the crappy teams are better than the best teams), the "blocking" punts/passes/field goals system is complete crap (I've had people "wrestling" with the kicker and him get the kick off during it still), the computer defense and offense seems to have no lack or lag in burst of speed (takes your guys 10x longer to get up a little speed to catch up to anyone on defense) and makes the zig-zag trick worthless in later rounds of the season, and it seems your team comes down with extreme fumblitis in the playoffs to the point where it's laughable.

I still love the game, but I really wish they would've tweeked a few things here and there and made it a more well rounded game than just slapping better graphics on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the old school Tecmo Bowl titles, they were a lot of fun. Throwback is horribly unbalanced; season mode is not fun.

You know when you are going to lose because the AI will make damn sure nothing will go your way:

- Your receivers are almost always completely covered

- AI speed is jacked up through the roof (lol at Philly cornerbacks)

- if someone gets open, you pass, and they'll have 2 or 3 defenders on top of them before the ball gets there - defense moves faster than the ball

- You can't run the ball, because the secondary is all over you before you cross the line of scrimmage

- Interceptions

- Fumbles - especially in the red zone, and almost certainly if you're going to get a lead

- Opposing running back...and the damn fullback is faster than your entire defense

- AI will catch touchdown passes when your defense is standing on top of them

The season seems to get harder as it goes on. I was 9-2 with Buffalo, but lost the next four games, and then won the final game to earn a Wild Card spot.

Playoffs were actually easy; the Super Bowl was not too bad against Dallas, luckily the AI wasn't cranked up too much. Save your game to a jump drive so if you lose, you don't have to start a new season. It also takes the pressure off.

Also you'll have a much easier time if you pick a good team.

Edited by LockeJV

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...