XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > >

Old 01-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
mrawdtsi

Send a message via AIM to mrawdtsi
Thumbs up Hard Drive Upgrade Guide

Hello fellow PS3ers. Yesterday I wanted to try what the majority of the internet said was impossible. Upgrade my PS3 Internal hard drive to a 1TB internal.

Many sites/forums said this was impossible due to the size of the drive, but with very little modification, I completed the upgrade yesterday.

I wanted to share this with you so that you may use these steps in upgrading your own PS3. Many people use the HD in the PS3 for media etc, so this is the perfect "next step mod."

This is a link to the Hard Drive i purchased for this upgrade:

Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD10TPVT 1TB 5200 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I went with a Western Digital Scoprio Blue 2.5" SATA 5200rpm.

The next step was to backup all of my old data (game data, game saves, user profiles, themes etc)

Under the System icon in the XMB, choose Backup. Make sure you use an External HDD or thumb drive that exceeds the amount of data on your PS3. in my case it was ~ 150G.

The backup took roughly 1.5hrs. Once you start the backup do not cancel it or touch your controller. it will stall or halt the backup.

Now that you have backed up all of your data, go ahead and unplug the PS3, and locate the HD door on the bottom of the ps3 (if vertical) or left hand side (if horizontal)

Now, take a flat head screw driver and pry off the plastic door. After that remove the blue screw with a small phillips screw driver, and slide the tray containing the HD out towards you.

You now hold the Hard drive and the tray that will need to be modified to accommodate a larger 1TB drive. In my PS3 (80G fat model) the OEM drive was a Hitachi.

remove the 4 screws that hold the drive into the tray.

Now you will need to do the only modification necessary to make this possible. On the tray itself, there are 4 raised bumps in each corner that lift the OEM HD into a centered position to ensure alignment of the SATA ports. I used a hammer and finishing nail punch to pound these flat. see pic:

Now that these have been pounded flat, put the new HD in the tray, and insert it into the PS3 drive bay. You will need to give it a little pressure pushing it back in. When re-seated properly, the new HD and tray should sit roughly 1/2" deep into the ps3. Screw the blue screw back in and put the plastic HD cover back on.

At this point you can plug everything back in and power up the PS3.

Your PS3 will give you a message that it cannot find the new firmware necessary to start up. Go to PlayStation® - PS3 and download the 3.55 firmware to a thumb drive. Make sure on your thumb drive, you have a "PS3" folder, and within that folder you add a folder called "UPDATE" download the firmware to the "update" folder and insert the thumb drive into the ps3.

Connect a controller via the USB cord, then hit [start] and [select] at the same time to force the PS3 to search removable media for the firmware. The PS3 will automatically format your new HD to FAT32 and install the firmware.

Once the firmware update is complete. Go to System in your XMB and choose restore from backup.

This process will take some time. it took me roughly another 1.5hrs.

Once the backup is complete. you Have a brand new 1TB PS3. If you go to system information in your XMB you can check it.

see pic:

It was a fun little project, including the backup and restore i would estimate about 4hrs total time invested. I wanted to do this because so many people said it could not be done. But i proved them wrong!

Side note: i have a temp sensor monitoring the temps of the new drive right now, so far so good. its running at room temp ~68F and left it on all night. no issues at all.

Happy PS3 upgrading!

*note: i will take no responsibility if you damage your PS3 attempting this upgrade, however it is very straight forward and you shouldnt have any issues whatsoever*

Last edited by mrawdtsi; 01-06-2011 at 05:00 PM.
mrawdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
GODCHILD1020

Send a message via AIM to GODCHILD1020 Send a message via MSN to GODCHILD1020

Awards Showcase Gold  Road Map Submitter   Word of Mouth - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Platinum Submission   5,000 Posts   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Member of the Month Winner   Bright Idea!   Gold Trophy Guide Submitter   Community Gaming Event Bronze
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)

Sony has a guide too. There are Youtube videos and you should add PS3 Slim Images too. There are members that have slims, and the HDD in the slim is pretty well hidden. Great job overall. Maybe centering the images would help.

EDIT: If its a guide you should have a Mod remove 1TB from the thread title, not everyone will upgrade to that much memory.

Last edited by GODCHILD1020; 01-06-2011 at 04:58 PM.
GODCHILD1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
mrawdtsi

Send a message via AIM to mrawdtsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODCHILD1020 View Post
Sony has a guide too. There are Youtube videos and you should add PS3 Slim Images too. There are members that have slims, and the HDD in the slim is pretty well hidden. Great job overall. Maybe centering the images would help.
Thanks for the advice, i will look for PS3 slim images, but having first hand experience with a PS3 fat, i was reluctant to say "it works!" for the slims as well.

mrawdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #4
xenonxyanide

Send a message via MSN to xenonxyanide Send a message via Skype™ to xenonxyanide

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

nice guide mate, i think you should make a guide that applies to all hdd's and provide information on what drives to go for aswell and get a mod to sticky it, theres always loads of threads with "how to back up" "what drive to get"

Working On (6) - Battlefield 3(52%28/44)Assasins Creed Revelations(42%22/60)
NFS:R(75%27/37)Motorstorm Apocalypse(17%10/48)Dirt 3(78%49/67)
Uncharted Drakes Fortune(18%13/48)
xenonxyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #5
Asura

Just editing my comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODCHILD1020 View Post

EDIT: If its a guide you should have a Mod remove 1TB from the thread title, not everyone will upgrade to that much memory.
This is not your average run-of-the-mill HDD upgrade. The process involves modding the external drive to fit into the PS3.

The ones you are talking about are standard sized (in both thickness and height) installations.

Last edited by Asura; 01-07-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
Skullz_69

Awards Showcase Call of Duty 4 Birthday   Community Gaming Event Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)

this is awesome! only thing I don't feel confortable taking a hammer to any part of my PS3

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
CURRENTLY PLAYING
???
BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS WILL BE IGNORED
Skullz_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:35 AM   #7
SolidSnakeNZ
Banned

Awards Showcase Community Gaming Event Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

How can you possibly use up 1TB anyway?
SolidSnakeNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:36 AM   #8
xBigBadx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullz_69 View Post
this is awesome! only thing I don't feel confortable taking a hammer to any part of my PS3
me too

But its so awesome!!!!!!! GEEZUS!

Had to make a new xbox live account.
xBigBadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
Skullz_69

Awards Showcase Call of Duty 4 Birthday   Community Gaming Event Bronze   1,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBigBadx View Post
me too

But its so awesome!!!!!!! GEEZUS!
I'm soon gonna become a doctor

CURRENTLY PLAYING
???
Old 01-07-2011, 04:29 AM   #10
Skullz_69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeNZ View Post
How can you possibly use up 1TB anyway?
You can never be sure, I prefer being on the safe side

CURRENTLY PLAYING
???