PS3 sound cutting out??

Insomniak17

Anyone else ever have the problem of the sound cutting/dropping out? It seems to go silent like almost every other second for a bit, then the sound will drop completely out. Then after around 5 minutes of silence, it comes back and is fine. It does this when the machine has been just turned on sometimes, sometimes after it's been on a long time, with all different games...

Just wondering if my machine is on the way out, or what's going on.

Thanks

I seem to have a problem that is similar to the one you're having. It doesn't happen often though.

I turn on my Playstation 3, and I don't get any sound at all. Now I'm thinking that it could just be my HDMI cable, but it's fairly new. If I restart the Playstation 3, it works fine though.

Nothing severe, but it is annoying.

--NeuroFusion--

My sound cuts in and out on certain games. Happened today actually while I was playing NFS: SHIFT. It came back in but it is annoying.

Thats funny you say that... The ONLY game ive had problems with sound cutting out was N4S:Shift. Every other game works fine.

try plugging the ps3 in with a scart or a component (i think its component, its the 5 colour one) cable and see if the sound still cuts out then, if it doesnt then its your hdmi. remember that processing sound for games is much harder work than for films or general laptop media programmes as it isnt really scripted on the ps3 and is playing constantly, at multiple volumes, with multiple layers/levels.

for example an average fps has background music, footsteps, shooting, talking and vehicle noise and there are multiple levels of those too.

whereas a film has just the two layers for the left and right speakers. im not sure what you were using your laptop for with your hdmi cable though

• 1 year later...

"Anyone else ever have the problem of the sound cutting/dropping out? It seems to go silent like almost every other second for a bit, then the sound will drop completely out. Then after around 5 minutes of silence, it comes back and is fine. It does this when the machine has been just turned on sometimes, sometimes after it's been on a long time, with all different games...

Just wondering if my machine is on the way out, or what's going on."

I'm having the same problem as Insomniak17, except the sound does not come back after five minutes. I need to shut the system down and let it turned off for hours before I can get sound again....then the same thing happens....sound starts being intermittent and then completely gone after about a half hour. It does not matter the movie format....Sound cuts out completely. If I leave the movie I'm watching and try to access anything else on the PS3, the sound is gone everywhere on the system. I'm streaming the movies from my Synology DiskStation media server. Any ideas what is going on???

Edited by Wingit49
added additional information

"Anyone else ever have the problem of the sound cutting/dropping out? It seems to go silent like almost every other second for a bit, then the sound will drop completely out. Then after around 5 minutes of silence, it comes back and is fine. It does this when the machine has been just turned on sometimes, sometimes after it's been on a long time, with all different games...

Just wondering if my machine is on the way out, or what's going on."

I'm having the same problem as Insomniak17, except the sound does not come back after five minutes. I need to shut the system down and let it turned off for hours before I can get sound again....then the same thing happens....sound starts being intermittent and then completely gone after about a half hour. It does not matter the movie format....Sound cuts out completely. If I leave the movie I'm watching and try to access anything else on the PS3, the sound is gone everywhere on the system. I'm streaming the movies from my Synology DiskStation media server. Any ideas what is going on???

Welcome to the forums, but please don't revive 2 year old threads. Thank you!

• 2 months later...

I'm having a similar problem. I had my ps3 connected to my Toshiba LCD tv with an HDMI cable before and the sound would never cut out.

Now when I have connected my ps3 with HDMI to a a new samsung LED TV, the sound cuts out and then cuts back in after 10-15 secs. It's really annoying.

I have changed my HDMI cable and put in a brand new one.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Please let me know.

Thanks

I'm having a similar problem. I had my ps3 connected to my Toshiba LCD tv with an HDMI cable before and the sound would never cut out.

Now when I have connected my ps3 with HDMI to a a new samsung LED TV, the sound cuts out and then cuts back in after 10-15 secs. It's really annoying.

I have changed my HDMI cable and put in a brand new one.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Try changing the PS3 sound settings from Bitstream to PCM or the other way around, depending on what your setting is now.