XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > General Discussion > Tech Centre

Old 06-15-2010, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question About PS3 Ventilation Placement

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums and am a new PS3 owner as well(Almost) I just bought it and it's coming in the mail. The problem is, I didn't really think about where I was going to put it until just recently.

So I need some help. I know that with this system, I should keep it in a well ventilated area to prevent overheating. But how much space do I really need?

I have a TV Stand that looks a bit like this - http://www.alcazarfurniture.com/asse...d-tv-stand.jpg

In that it has a shelf right under the TV. The dimensions are 21x20x6. 21 Inches wide, 20 inches in length, and 6 inches in height. The front and back are both open and behind the stand is plenty of space. Is this enough to keep the PS3 well ventilated? Will I have to worry about it overheating? It really is the only place I can put it(Except on top of my 360 - which I'm sure isn't a good idea)

Thanks in advance. I'm a complete noob when it comes to PS3 hardware and everything else..pretty much. Would be a big help to get some suggestions about this.

EDIT: The problem with putting it next to my TV is that I already have a 360 up there.. And my TV is slightly off-center because of that. So the PS3 would literally have to be behind the TV's left side just to fit. And in that situation, I could hardly even put a disc in it.

EDIT2: Lol, I'm just terrified to put any of my game consoles in an area where it is semi-confined. Bad experience with my Old 360 I guess. I'll see how it goes.

Last edited by IINayRII; 06-15-2010 at 02:28 AM.
IINayRII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Johnny Bananas

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Platinum   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   THL Season 3 Champions - Sharks With Laser Beams   THL Season 3 - Ghost Busters   15,000 Posts   THL Season 1 - Close But No Cigar   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   Bronze Road Map Submitter   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter   Silver Submission   Community Gaming Event Gold
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)

Your PS3 should be fine wherever you put in on your TV stand. I'd strongly recommend having it on top next to your TV for maximum space. I've had my PS3 is much secluded areas and have had no problems. Just be sure to keep an eye out for any unusual sounds like the fan overpowering and such.

July 13, 2004 ~ Donate Life ~ April 3, 2013
Johnny Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Strap your PS3 to one of the blades on your ceiling fan. Problem solved.

Seriously though, I've never had a problem, and the 2 I've used have both been in pretty tight spaces. I'd say just do the best you can with what you've got, and don't worry about it.