How to set up your Ps3 with open dns for a stable connection

johnodd4

So welcome to the tutorial for.

HOW TO SETUP YOUR PS3 WITH OPEN DNS TO SPEED UP YOUR CONNECTION AND CONNECTING SUCCESSFULLY.

Thing's you need!!!

1. a router that supports custom Dns (or manually selected dns for new computer users)

2. the open dns numbers which are.

3. a playstation 3 video game console (of course)

Here is what to do...

1. look at your routers manual for how to connect to your router.

2. once logged into your router go into dns.

3. change it from automatic to manual

4. insert open dns numbers from above.

5. apply settings

6. done.

Troubleshooting:

Q. I get a great connection but when i try to connect to home i get a connection times out notice or e85 notice.

A. I myself ran into this not a bad issue just kinda a pain in the can to fix this reload the home channel after the error message by pressing the ps button and selecting home again no need to quit it should relaunch and connect you to home.

Q. Will this work on improving connections with dsl!!!

A. Yes in fact several Dns user's have found that the dns server they have connected to for dsl works better and gives them nat 2 status on the ps3 after which is needed for voice and video chat...

Known issues..

only one issue.

The stupid E85 error when trying to log into home this isn't a connection failure but when there are to many people online in one location the home channel fails to connect to the server all you have to do to fix this issues is press the ps button the controller and select the home channel again without closing the home channel running in the background the home channel will then reconnect and your done...

Why do this???

Qwest and comcast throttle game traffic..

What does throttle mean... (it basicaly is the idea to limit bandwidth to online gaming which in turns slows down the connection to online games)

isn't this illegal...

in fact yes throttling network traffic is illegal in fact comcast got sued for it because they where throttling bittorrent traffic and p2p traffic which messed with peoples internet connections.

Why use Dns....

Dns is a lookup server without you couldn't look up a connection to connect to the internet and online gaming comcast and qwest have really poor dns servers that limit connection speeds to some and gives full access to others

which kinda sucks if you spend 70.00 to 90.00 dollers a month for internet access and only get half the speed you where promised.

Ummm, what?

DNS resolution has nothing to do with increasing overall network speed. While using the Open DNS servers may be a good idea, your network traffic is still routed through your ISP (Comcast, Time Warner, etc). Yes bandwidth limiting is a pain, but I'm not all together sure it is illegal either (Hotels do it ALL the time, mainly to prevent you from watching adult videos online, and instead get it through their TV service).

Network speed also depends on the size of the network connection and the number of concurrent users accessing the service. I'm sure sdreaper can tell you story after story of network impairments due to limited bandwidth, as can I.

DNS is a name resolution service. It is what allows you to type in http://www.ps3t.org and come directly to this site. You can still operate on a network without DNS, however it would be EXTREMELY unefficient as you would need to know the IP address of every site, organization etc you want to visit. A DNS server does not limit connection speed (that would be at a proxy server or at the router/gateways).

I could go on here, but in conclusion, using Open DNS is a decent idea if you want to do it, however it does not circumvent your ISP as far as the connection goes and should not be done by users if they are not familiar with computer networking (as changing settings from automatic to manual greatly increases the chances of other things going wrong).

That, and there is no need to modify DNS on your router unless you don't trust your ISP's DNS servers at all. You can modify these on a per device basis.

Also agreed with poster above, at best you are increasing name-resolution if your ISP's servers are hosed most of the time (i.e. TWC). But aside from that, there is no increase in network speed at all since you haven't changed the infrastructure you route over.

Edit: Also didn't notice the shout-out from Turbo..thanks...and yes I can...spent an hour with "tech support" last night fighting my way to Tier3 escalation to report a problem on their gear. Apparently hopping from their 6513 in the street to their colo with response times of 110ms isn't enough to warrant an immediate escalation. I wonder what the magic number is for a response time to be that is roughly 10miles away.......

But amazing...I make it through the script-reader that answers the phone, up to her "manager" (i.e. another script-reader right next to her), to an actual engineer. 58min spent fighting to get escalated, 2minutes to speak with engineer and for him to go, "wtf, that isn't right....give me a second...oh look at that, we have a lot of flapping going on, I'll dispatch a tech to your residence and to the CO to solve this right now." Honestly...amazing how dumb NOCs have gotten when they are no longer filled with engineers but instead glorified receptionists.

Edited by sdreaper