Controller Won't Pair Up With PS3 After Getting 3.10...

UnReAL

this is weird.... I use the DualShock 3 to turn on the PS3 & it turns on fine.... then the 4 lights on top of the controller just keep flashing like it's out of sync.... when I connect to the USB port with a wire it works fine....

what the hell is going on here? this never happened before I got the 3.10 update.... I'm really at a loss trying to figure out what's going on...

Just reset your controller. PS3 controllers have a memory, theres a tiny hole in the back of the controller which is a reset button. stick a paperclip in or something and then turn on ps3, put the usb in and press the PS button. Should Sync straight away.

EDIT: If that doesnt work - On your PS3, hold down the power button for 8 seconds. After that, plug your controller into the USB then pull it out and press the PS button. It should work after that.

Edited by JackRPT

Thats defiently the problem then, to make sure it dont happen again, just reset the controller, pop a little paperclip or pin into the reset hole at the back.

And then sync the controller up.

Its memory will then be saved to your new PS3 and the problem shouldnt happen again :)

im having the same problem and regardless of what i try it wont sync corectly. i've tried resetting the controlers, syncing the controllers with the usb wire and nothing. the controller doesn't even turn the ps3 on just keeps blinking? what is going wrong here? can you help?

im having the same problem and regardless of what i try it wont sync corectly. i've tried resetting the controlers, syncing the controllers with the usb wire and nothing. the controller doesn't even turn the ps3 on just keeps blinking? what is going wrong here? can you help?

this happened to me before and i just used a different usb cable and it worked just fine after

this started happening to me aswell after the last patch. whenever i hit the PS button on the controller to start up the ps3 all i get is flashing lights. i have to manually hit the power on button on the ps3 and when it has started up i can press the PS button on the controller and it works just fine. ngh...

I am a totally new PS3 owner. Just got it today. I installed the 3.1 update. Well, I play some games for a while then we go to dinner. When we come home I sit in my chair and hit the center PS button on my controller...the PS3 turns on.....then all I get are the 4 red blinking lights on the controller! It won't pair! ....oh, and the green and yellow LED's on the PS3 are flashing like crazy.

So I use the USB cable to re-pair the controller to the PS3. Seems to work ok again. But I have not turned off the PS3 yet....I didn't think I had to re-pair the controller EVERY time I want to use the PS3? Thats STUPID!

So I start searching the net this issue seems to be all over the net the past couple days, here is another example...

My ps3 controllers keep blinking when I turn them on | Video Game Online Forums & Community | Game Platform Discussions for Video Games - GameTrailers.com

Hope Sony gets a firmware FIX out soon....this is a real pain. Sony should test their software before releasing it.

Jeff

I was just coming to this site to see if anyone else was experiencing this exact problem.

According to several sites (including the forums on the main Playstation site), 3.10 seems to have borked Bluetooth connectivity.

The PS button on my controllers will turn the system on, but will not pair up. And when this happens, my remote control and bluetooth keyboard won't work either.

I end up having to manually reset the system -- sometimes two or three times -- to get the controllers to sync up again. It's basically all or nothing -- if my controllers work, all my BT devices work. If the controllers don't work, none of them do. So it's definitely a problem with Bluetooth. And I didn't have this issue a single time on my old launch model, nor did I have it before I upgraded to 3.10.

Here's a link to the thread on the PS site:

Wireless(BT) syncing issues THREAD** - PlayStation®3 Updates - PlayStation.com Forums

I actually took the time to read through all of the other threads on the other sites regarding this issue. Here's what I've been able to figure out:

1) This seems to be an issue specifically with the PS3 Slim, Bluetooth, and the 3.10 update. I haven't read of any older models having this problem.

2) Turning on your system by using the power button on the PS3, waiting for it to load, THEN turning your controllers on seems to be an effective workaround so far, but this hasn't worked for everybody. It also kinda defeats one of the main purposes of the PS button -- not having to walk across the room to turn the system on.

3) Sony seems to be in complete denial. There's a 16 page thread I've linked to above on Sony's own website, and there's a dozen or so people who have called up and reported the problem, only to be told by Sony that they are the first and only people to have reported the problem so far. Pointing their representatives to the various threads or giving incident numbers of previous phone calls gets nowhere -- they still claim that your call is the first they've heard of the issue.

4) According to several of those posts, some have managed to get their reps to say that no fix is in the works.

This could become a siginficant problem for them very soon. With Christmas a month away, there's going to be a significant number of non-technically-savvy people who run into this problem, and won't know what to do or how to fix it etc. Most of them will think that their system is simply broken, and they're not going to like getting a flood of phone calls from angry parents who are pissed off that the one thing they got for their kid isn't working. I know I'd be pissed if I spent 300 bucks on something for my kid and he was sitting there crying because the damn thing didn't work right.

Sony has come a long way in a short time in the battle vs. X-Box. But if they continue to be in denial and allow this to linger through Christmas, all of that work could be for nothing once the angry parents write off the PS3 as a piece of junk and end up buying an X-Box.

I was just getting pissed off last night about this problem. My controller however would turn the PS on then it would start blinking the 4 lights. I just played with it plugged in. When I turned off the system I unplugged my controller, system turned off then I heard the beep telling me the system was just turned on. WTF?! My controller synced and turned on the system after I unpluged it.

Good tip about the reset button on the controller, I didn't know about it. Will try it next time.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any updates or new information? My controller seemed a little better for a time, maybe 1 in 4 or 5 times I would have to get up and go over to the console and turn it off at the front power switch, then back on again. But the past week it is about 50/50.

I complained to Sony tech support online a few weeks ago. Got some generic useless answer....

FIX IT SONY!!!!!!

Jeff

No, I hadn't. I just did it now, thanks TMIB!!! :D ....and Thank You to Sony if this does the trick :)

I thought I would see a message from the PS3 that an update was available, but I did not see one, or maybe I missed it...

After my PS3 just did the 3.15 update, it turned off, then on, then checked again for another update and downloaded and installed that, then turned off. I pressed the PS3 button on my controller and the console powered up and sync'd to my controller....:applause:

Fingers crossed this fixes it. I am partly disabled and it it was pain having to go press the power button on the console....

Thanks!

Jeff