Firefox edges out Microsoft globally for first time in browser wars

OceanH

http://gs.statcounter.com/download/ww-desktop-browser-apr-2016.png

Firefox narrowly overtook Microsoft’s combined Internet Explorer (IE) and Edge browsers for the first time globally in April in terms of desktop internet usage, according to independent web analytics company StatCounter.

"Microsoft might have expected a boost to its overall browser share as the result of the launch of the Windows 10 with Edge but it hasn’t happened to date," commented Aodhan Cullen, CEO, StatCounter. "Chrome has continued to gain share globally."

In the US, IE and Edge combined (25.2%) are still ahead of Firefox (13.4%) for desktop internet usage in April. Google Chrome leads on 51.6%.

Similarly in the UK, Chrome is leading on 54.2%. IE and Edge combined have 21.8% and Firefox is in third place with 13.2%.

http://gs.statcounter.com/press/firefox-browser-edges-out-microsoft-globally-for-first-time

And Chrome is still ahead by miles.

Good. IE should be last, though I'm surprised to see how far Chrome is ahead of everyone. I prefer Firefox myself over Chrome.

I just personally prefer Chrome, but I hate that it doesn't support Sky Go :( Well it used too...

Edited by Combatting

Firefox edges out Microsoft...

I see what they did there! :p

Trololol!

Yeah this was bound to happen eventually as the average user becomes more familiar with technology. Less old people who've never touched a computer and more kids who grew up on them. The users are simply more able to assess their own wants and needs these days than in the past where it was a case of "use what you've got pre-installed".

This was going to happen sooner or later because Microcrap have been behind the times for years and now they've caught it in the ass. I use Firefox because not only is it the only thing that works properly with our Guide Loading tools but it also doesn't spy on you anywhere near as much as Chrome does.

Yeah this was bound to happen eventually as the average user becomes more familiar with technology. Less old people who've never touched a computer and more kids who grew up on them. The users are simply more able to assess their own wants and needs these days than in the past where it was a case of "use what you've got pre-installed".

Exactly, I personally use chrome however at work I have to use IE unless I get specific access. Also interestingly no programs which are cloud based/ hosted by google servers (which reside in the US or anywhere international) are allowed to be used because I work for the National Health Service in England and patient data is not allowed to leave the UK, not even just for online storage.

...Why?

Internet Explorer and Edge are bad browsers that come pre-installed on your computer when you install Windows. You use them to download Chrome and never use them again.

To get Firefox is to consciously make the choice to use a bad browser, rather than having one thrust upon you by Microsoft. Firefox is slower at rendering webpages that Chrome and slower to adopt new internet technologies than Chrome. I remember when I switched to Chrome from Firefox because YouTube got 60 FPS support finally, and it worked in Chrome and Internet Explorer, but not Firefox. I was surprised at how much better Chrome was beyond just being able to watch 60 FPS video. I'd never go back.

I don't really give a rat's ass about how much Chrome "spies on me" either. Everything spies on you. Your smartphone spies on you, along with all of those apps you download and run. Your computer's operating system spies on you. Any browser out there will spy on you. Websites spy on you beyond what your browser does on its own. Software that isn't a web browser spies on you. Game consoles spy on you. Games you play on your game console spy on you. Apps you run on your game console spy on you. Your ISP spies on you.

I figure I have two choices: I can smash my phone, disconnect everything from the internet, and be a hermit to stop anyone or anything from ever spying on me, or I can just accept that there's no practical way to not be spied on (even if you find a way to block everything else from doing it, you cannot block your ISP from doing it) and at least get the best web browser so I have the best experience.

Anyway, I want to see them split Safari out on its own. I think "Opera and others" are getting an unfair stat boost. :p

• 4 weeks later...

I tried to like Firefox and Opera... but they both had issues when I used them years ago, hence why I've stuck with Chrome because it's never given me issues. Even when Chrome needs to update, it re-opens with your previous tabs intact. Maybe Firefox and Opera do that too, but my bad experience with them in the past means I'll never use them again.

Edited by squodge

I formally take back what I said earlier about Firefox because I recently got a new Laptop since my old one was on its last legs and for some reason Firefox runs like crap on it so I went looking for another browser and found one in the form of Vivaldi, which wipes the floor with FF in every area except compatibility with our Guide loading tools. Due to the aforementioned compatibility problems, I still have to use FF for loading Guides but I now use Vivaldi for everything else :).

UPDATE:

I've had to go back to Firefox since Vivaldi turned out to be a broken piece of crap that crashed often and sometimes refused to load :mad:.

Edited by Terminator
Update.

Firefox doesn't work properly on my Galaxy Tab 4 so I'm with Chrome, but the reason I presume Chrome is so high due to preinstalled on device.

Anyway, if it did work properly, I'd probably use it more, but I use Firefox on PC. :applause:

Good. IE should be last, though I'm surprised to see how far Chrome is ahead of everyone. I prefer Firefox myself over Chrome.

Me too. Allthough there are more and more hick-ups with Firefox. Have to use MS Edge to view certain comment areas for instance.

I tried using Edge exlusively, but not being able to block ads just killed it completely for me.

However, I kindof like Edge, and probably will give it a good go if they ever make it possible to use add-ons.

As for the scewed Chrome ratings, Google pays good money to have Chrome installed with a variety of basic programs. Just like malware and crapware makers do.

A lot of unconscious PC users are not aware that they are setting Chrome as standard after installing a PDF reader for their banking for instance.