Internet speed fluctuating wildly

Doug-E-Fresh1994

Ok, so I noticed within the last few months Any time I try to play mw3 I have intermittent connection issues.

I've done some connection tests and this is what I've got (running time warner cable) :

From the playstation: (when computer is in use)

Download: between 3 and 12 Mbps

Upload: 300- 1000 Kbps

When the computer is not in use is fluctuates between 8 and 12.

Speedtest.net on my desktop, with nothing else running, consistently gave me 16 download and 1 upload.

I have a high end netgear router that we bought recently.

Could anyone help me figure out my problem?? It makes gaming during normal hours very frustrating :(

Time Warner Cable are seriously crap and recently changed something in their settings, see here for details: http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/playstation-conversation/244251-psn-servers-problems-some-parts-us.html

Hmm that's great to know. I did change the DNS settings and will give it a shot

But it seems that the problem started around mid august? I've been having the sMe problem for months now. I've never not been able to sign in but have had intermittent drops in speed.

I'm thinking it's something involving traffic in my house or area but never used to have this issue

I would scan your computers for Malware and PUPs (Possibly Unwanted Programs) as there could be something hidden on your Hard Drives that is sapping your speed :think:. I would also see what your security programs are doing as they could be the problem.

Edited by Terminator
Rephrased.

Changed the DNS and it didn't seem to affect much. My problem seems to reside in multiple high bandwidth activities. I'm not about 80% sure of that.

I was running fine and the moment my brother started to play mine craft it went back to crap. My modem is pretty old.

EDIT: time warner has tiered internet speeds at different costs. I don't know which plan I have but it probably isn't great. Would the download cap maybe affect it based on what the computer needs?

EDIT 2: we have standard internet (15 Mbps download)

Edited by Doug-E-Fresh1994

Update:

We recently upgraded to a plan with 20 Mbps down 2 up

Mine craft has nothing to do with it.

It can happen at night when it's the only device connected

Speedtest.net on the desktop has 22 down 2.2 up

PS3 has 10 down 1.5 up with intermittent momentary dips to a slow as 1 up 500kbps down.

Well after practically educating myself fully on networking and eliminating possibilities I may have found a decent solution for one of my systems

I tried putting it in the Dmz in my router and the speeds aren't great but at least seem more consistent than before. It at least worked for my wired one. (Barring any other variables )