PS3 Flashing Red Light on Start up, but works fine eventually.

LaochEire

Hi,

This is a bit of an odd one. Essentially, when I wake up or my PS3 hasn't been on for any prolonged period of time it takes 3-4 attempts to get it to work. I'll turn on the power, it will beep 3 times and flash red. After 3-4 attempts it will boot up and run games perfectly fine and I can turn it on and off without issue.

It only does this flashing red light when I turn it off for the night and try it again next morning. It's a launch model 20GB Phatboi.

I contacted Sony who said it was the HDD. I bought a new 1TB one and it didn't fix the issue. Thanks Sony. They then said they've no idea at all. Offered to repair it and we all know it's pointless to send it to them.

Rang a few repair places with various answers. One said it's onset of YLOD. Another said it was a faulty power supply. Anyone had this issue before?

Cheers ;)

I've never had this issue before but it definitely sounds like a faulty power supply (maybe it needs to be warm or something?). Either way, I only knew one other person who had the exact same issue but with a Sony TV (an old Trinitron). Try changing the power supply, I'm sure you can get a new one on ebay or something and change it. The PS3 has a very modular design so it would only take around 30mins (depending on skill) to change the PSU (the power supply even has it's own casing / enclosure).

Make sure you buy the exact same power supply model / version, if you decide to change it.

Best of luck.