hardcoding subtitles to mp4

dda1996a

And does anyone know a good MKV -> MP4 program?

I have quit a lot of MKV file movies I would like to watch on my ps3

I use free and simple tool "video.net" from clone.AD, so far it made anything playable on my PS3. (Although the title may lead to the suspicion that these tools are usable for copyright infringements, they are not, these are converting tools only with no DRM cracking/removing features)

Edited by dcdfan

To stream, go to PS3 Media Server, download it for your OS, i'm guessing windows. Install it. The only thing you have to do pretty much, is to tell it where your files are located, if i remember well, subtitles are enabled by default (assuming you do haves subs, srt or idx subs), if not, theres a plethora of options to enable em.

Don't be scared, it pretty much worked for me everywhere i installed it whitout any problems. Once running, a PS3Media server icon will appear on the media, music and images tab of your ps3 where you'll be able to browse the folders you made available.

This is local so the server PC and the PS3 must be on the same network evidently.

• 1 month later...

I can't recommend DLNA because they NEVER work me. I have great internet and they never streamed correctly for me no matter which one I use, they all play for about 10 seconds then the video gets choppy and freezes like a youtube video that wont buffer.

So instead I use "Handbrake" to convert MKV files to MP4. I run a Dragon Ball Z episode site so I have to do this quite often. It allows me to convert without losing quality, which is extremely important.

MkvmergeGUI used to allow me to burn subs into an episode, but the newest versions don't seem to allow this anymore.

However the PS3 can't read .srt files, so hardcoding is the only option, and I just can't find a proper FREE program that allows this anymore. There's expensive video editing software that will do it...but if you're like me then you don't want to have to pay anything.

But go with Handbrake for the conversion...that's at least one step I can give you.

Edited by TheViper4Life

• 3 months later...
How can I hardcode or at least add subtitles to an mp4 movie so I can play it on my ps3?

I downloaded Yamb, but it does not seem to be able to make my ps3 read the subtitle file?

And does anyone know a good MKV -> MP4 program?

I have quit a lot of MKV file movies I would like to watch on my ps3

You may refer to this step by step guide to hardcode subtitles

It applies to:

Hardcode subtitles to MP4, AVI, MKV, MPG, WMV, MOV, WTV, MPG, VOB, FLV, RMVB, etc;

Hardcode subtitles SRT, ASS, SSA, IDX, and SUB to video files;

Hardcode subtitles as well as keep the same video format;

Convert soft subs to hard subs as well as change the video format.

To stream, go to PS3 Media Server, download it for your OS, i'm guessing windows. Install it. The only thing you have to do pretty much, is to tell it where your files are located, if i remember well, subtitles are enabled by default (assuming you do haves subs, srt or idx subs), if not, theres a plethora of options to enable em.

Don't be scared, it pretty much worked for me everywhere i installed it whitout any problems. Once running, a PS3Media server icon will appear on the media, music and images tab of your ps3 where you'll be able to browse the folders you made available.

This is local so the server PC and the PS3 must be on the same network evidently.

I would go with this ^ tsMuxeR works great for converting mkv to mt2s also not every movie will play on ps3 for copyright reasons

Edited by iGarcia1992

• 1 month later...

There are many kinds of subtitle formats: SRT, ASS, SSA, IDX, and SUB, etc today. One of the most widely used formats for subtitles is SRT (SubRip), which is supported by most video players, subtitle editing tools and some hardware home media players. Even YouTube supports .srt files.

SSA (Sub Station Alpha), is a subtitle format used by the famous subtitle editor, SubStation Alpha. It has an enormous amount of options including Karaoke, audio effects, graphic drawing etc. ASS, similar to SSA, is another popular subtitle format.

SubViewer (.sub) files are the native subtitle format of the SubViewer utility. SUB file usually comes from DVD subtitle, which contains subtitle images. Where there is a SUB file, there must be an IDX file. IDX file is a text file which specify which image in SUB file should be showed at specific time. SubViewer became popular when support for it was included in the DivX media player. On August 28 2008, YouTube included support for SubViewer and SubRip, allowing existing videos to be retroactively subtitled.

Let's say you have no idea how to add one of the above subtitles to your MP4 video which is an increasingly popular video format, for example, add SRT to MP4. If so, you come to the right place because the following article will introduce a step by step guide on how to add subtitles to MP4 files.

• 3 months later...
You may refer to this step by step guide to hardcode subtitles

It applies to:

Hardcode subtitles to MP4, AVI, MKV, MPG, WMV, MOV, WTV, MPG, VOB, FLV, RMVB, etc;

Hardcode subtitles SRT, ASS, SSA, IDX, and SUB to video files;

Hardcode subtitles as well as keep the same video format;

Convert soft subs to hard subs as well as change the video format.

Thank you so much for sharing this powerful app and step by step guide on how to hardcode subtitles to MP4, AVI, MKV, MOV, MPG, VOB etc.

Now i can easily hardcode any subtitles to my video and movie files.