Slim PS3 HDD Upgrade Question

Toddler Naruto

I was just wondering if it would be worth it for me to pay extra for a 7200 RPM HDD, or am I better off just grabbing a 5400 RPM HDD?

Note: I rarely download/install anything from PSN (prefer physical/retail copies whenever possible).

Not worth it.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/tech-centre/114394-hdd-upgrade-guide-how-back-up-fat32-format.html

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/7200rpm-vs-5400rpm-HDD-for-the-PS3/td-p/14888551

I'd also say it's not worth it. But on the other hand: Is the price difference THAT big? There are plenty of disc-based games that install to the harddrive.

I have an SSD in my PS3 and it makes a huge difference with games like Gran Turismo 5 / 6 or Final Fantasy 14.

I think you wouldn't really notice a performance boost with a 7200rpm drive though. The PS3 greatly benefits from fast random read / write access to the drive (for example loading characters while running through a Final Fantasy 14 town) which a "classic" hdd can't really perform. Even with an SSD, the install times aren't that much faster, but the loading times with some games halfed.

Thanks mates, I guess I'll be buying the 1TB Toshiba 5400 RPM HDD I saw on Amazon for $60 New then.

TBH, my main reason why I'm wanting to upgrade, is so I can install a fresh PS3 OS.

I know I can do that with my current 160GB, but I'd have to either backup EVERYTHING on it first, or just sacrifice/delete it all...the latter of which isn't an option.

Thanks mates, I guess I'll be buying the 1TB Toshiba 5400 RPM HDD I saw on Amazon for $60 New then.

TBH, my main reason why I'm wanting to upgrade, is so I can install a fresh PS3 OS.

I know I can do that with my current 160GB, but I'd have to either backup EVERYTHING on it first, or just sacrifice/delete it all...the latter of which isn't an option.

Maybe I'm not understanding your plan right, but how does buying a new hard drive will save you from backing up everything? You'll have to backup your files from that 160GB to copy them unto the new HD once you've installed it into your PS3. Besides save games, there isn't much that absolutely needs to be backed up. Patches, demos and DLC can be re-downloaded when you need them.

Maybe I'm not understanding your plan right, but how does buying a new hard drive will save you from backing up everything?

You'll have to backup your files from that 160GB to copy them unto the new HD once you've installed it into your PS3. Besides save games, there isn't much that absolutely needs to be backed up. Patches, demos and DLC can be re-downloaded when you need them.

I never said it wouldn't, sorry for any confusion. I just meant I'd rather "stall" on backing up everything until I have a bigger HDD.

I can be rather lazy sometimes, unfortunately lol >_>.

I have movies and tv show episodes on my PS3 HDD that take up 100GB+ space (I didn't buy them from PSN either).