Intermittent Sound Problem

LastofAcademe

I had a quick look through previous threads and couldn't find what I was looking for... apologies if I missed it and this has already been answered.

I have the PS3 500GB 'Super Slim' and I seem to get a 1-2 second pause in the sound when playing a game. I haven't noticed it happen on movies or music, just in-game. Happens with both disc and digital copies.

It tends to happen when there is a sudden increase in sound, such as an explosion or a gunshot, but it will only happen once. I haven't noticed whether it happens once for every different game I play in a single session, or whether it is once within the time my PS3 has been on and then been turned off again.

I had tried to Google the problem but the best solution I found was "change your sound settings"... unfortunately I'm not so technologically minded that I would know what I was changing the settings too.

It's not necessarily a huge issue - as I said, it happens once and then I'm fine for the rest of the time I play. But if it is a fixable problem then I would surely like to. It can be a touch annoying if it happens during a cutscene and I miss a couple of seconds of dialogue.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

How is the sound connected to your TV?

HDMI? RCA? Optic?

This. If your connected via HDMI you can change how the sound is permitted by going into the XMB settings and the sound settings have a fiddle round in there. Their should be an option in there to change to HDMI if you haven't already assuming your connected via HDMI.

Sounds weird (no pun intended)^^ With the complexity of todays technology it could be anything. You said it only occurs while gaming and not when watching a blu-ray movie on the PS3, is that right? At first I thought it could be your TV simply clipping loud sounds "the hard way" since you mentioned explosions. But it doesn't happen with movies so it has to be a game-related issue.

The only advice I could give is to go to the sound settings of the PS3 and restart the entire configuration process, setting everything to "automatic" or "auto detect". That way, the PS3 checks and applies the best possible audio connection to your TV.

That solved the problem I had with the PS3 sound: One particular app would have been muted, as soon as I switched the TV. Going through the entire audio installation process in the PS3 settings addapts the PS3 settings to the settings of your TV.

Edited by Legion2000

I don't know about blu-ray/DVDs... might sound weird but I don't own any so I've never tried. But I watch things on Netflix, BBC iPlayer, 4OD all the time and it has never happened during any of those. Only during games, but I've noticed it on both disc and digital copies, and it literally will happen once and then it is fine for the rest of the time the game is playing until the next time I turn my PS3 on.

The settings currently are on 'automatic' because, as I said, I wouldn't have the first idea what to change them to on the 'manual' settings so I left them.

From experience with one of my HDTVs you might want to try another set of speakers.

Hook up the video cable that came with the PS3 to the MULTI OUT port (same port that was used for the PS1 and 2), then connect the audio cables (red and white) to a stereo or something. Then in system->Sound settings set output to MULTI OUT so it doesn't output sound to the TV.

If that fixes your problem then it's probably your TV giving fits.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep it in mind should I ever get another audio output lol

I would have thought it is not related to my TV though considering it only happens in games, and more specifically only since I got the PS3. It never happened with my Xbox 360. The only thing I can think of if its not related to the settings is that the PS3 might be faulty.

Ok then, that's one item down on process of elimination. Seriously find a stereo or something.

Or use a extension adapter and a [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-connecting-iPhones-smartphones-players/dp/B00CTTBSR4/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397357122&sr=1-3]ipod ->RCA cable[/ame] to hook the PS3's audio to your computer's microphone input and use your computer as speakers.

Or find another TV to use temporarily. Trying to see if its the TV or not before we totally blame the PS3.

The best I've managed by way of an experiment is playing through headphones via my TV and I haven't noticed any disruption in the sound since doing that. So presumably it is something to do with how the TV is processing sound for its own speakers? Curious that it doesn't do it for movies, TV, or even other games consoles though. Only PS3 games.

Edit: Also, I re-Googled the issue and I had noticed that someone else asking the question had been asked what TV they had and it was an LG, as is mine. Whether that is part of the problem or just coincidence as its a fairly popular brand, I don't know.

Edited by LastofAcademe

The only two settings other than treble, bass, etc. are something called Clear Voice II, and Infinite Surround, but both of them are turned off.

I don't know if Infinite Surround is like a surround sound simulation setting or if it actually requires a surround sound system but I've never touched it. And I haven't got a clue what Clear Voice II is.