XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > >

Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Radford999

Default The system is too hot message

I've got the original 80gb fat ps3. Had it for years. Ever since i've got The Last of us my ps3 gets really really hot and loud. I've subsequently platinumed it and been playing something else. But i keep getting an error message saying 'The system is too hot turn it off' or something like that and then moments later it will just shut down and the light will blink red. I can turn it back on but it will do the same thing once i start playing the game.

It doesn't help that my bedroom is like a sauna and the heat the UK is experencing at the minute. I have it stood on a laptop cooler too.

What should i do? Is this a sign that my PS3 is dieing? Or could it just work fine without the heat of the bedroom?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
ars

Awards Showcase Community Gaming Event Gold   1,000 Posts   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)

Your fatty will get critically hot on many current games, they just keep the processor usage and thus power consumption too high. Unfortunately I expect your fatty to die soon, but it is not the emergency shutdown that kills it. Emergency shutdown is a precaution. The simple fact that the fatty runs hot in general and the constant heating when it's on/cooling when it's off cycle is what slowly kills it - that's something that can't be helped.

Do not (repeat DO NOT) turn the console immediately on, if it does an emergency shutdown due to heat buildup. Let it rest at least half an hour. Using the console in as cool environment as possible is always a good thing.
ars is offline   Reply With Quote