PS3 Optimal Network Settings Guide

Aidan

What up? Another thing I'd simply like to share. Not many people fiddle too much with their internet settings on the PS3, but you'd be surprised how a little tweaking and some manual input can make a ton of difference.

This will not work for everyone, and is merely a method to try your luck. If it doesn't work, then there's a multitude of solutions perhaps, but to each an individual case. If it does work, then you have a much faster connection with less complications. This is merely a standard guideline how to get it all to work, and should work for most people. However, in special cases, some google research for your particular case might be required.

This only works when you use a router, but I assume just about everyone goes through one of these. This works for both Wired or Wireless, though I will always prefer Wired if the possibility is there.

Consequences:

• Moderately improve connection/download/upload speed
  • Drastically improve connection/download/upload speed
  • Improve connection stability
  • Improve connection performance
  • Improve co-op connectivity (Mercenaries 2 cure)
  • Decrease disconnection during games such as CoD4
  • Better Headset performance/quality, and better ability to hear others
  • Improve your PING during online gaming
  • Cause some games to crash while being signed in.

Note that this method will force your PS3 to bypass your firewall. Don't be alarmed, because not only is your PS3 absolutely of nobody's interest, it's still practically impossible to hack into it. Someone would need the skills to rob a bank online to get into your PS3, and if you're that important, perhaps you should just stay behind a firewall. Other than that, you are virtually at no risk.

What's basically going to happen is that you're putting your PS3's IP address in the DMZ of your router. This is the Demilitarized Zone, and means nothing will stand in the way of you and the selected IP address. This also requires your PS3 to adopt a static IP address. Fear not, here comes the step by step guide.

Preparation

• First of all, you will need to know what your Default Gateway address is. To do this, follow this quick step-by-step tutorial. This will be on your PC/laptop:
    1. Start
    2. Run
    3. Type "cmd", then Enter. This will open Command Prompt. Some Vista users that prefer the classic menu might have to go through Accessories and then find Command Prompt.
    4. In Command Prompt, type: ipconfig, and hit Enter. This will come with a large list of crap and bullshit. However, what you want is the IP address listed as "Default Gateway".
    5. Write this down.

[*]Now you want to make sure you can access your Router Configuration Page via your browser. Open your internet browser, and type your Default Gateway IP address you just found in the address bar. Hit Enter.

[*]It will ask you for a username and password. Most of the time, this will be unchanged. Linksys uses a blank username, and the password admin. Either way, if you somehow lost this, your ISP will have to be contacted in order for you to retrieve it.

This will be all your homework. On to the PS3 herself.

The PS3 Phase

First of all, you're going to give your PS3 a static IP address. This will ensure that your PS3 connects to the same IP, every single time, which causes more stability and consistency. This way, we can also allocate the PS3 to a specific zone on your Router; the DMZ.

Normally, if all your settings are set to 'Automatic', your PS3 will take the first IP available on your LAN. This is most likely 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, etc. The last digit indicates the device number, so we're going to up that to a number we know will never be used by anything else.

1. On the PS3 XMB, go to: Settings > Network Settings > Internet Connection Settings. Click this, and it will take you to the setup. This will disconnect your connection, accept.
  2. The next page will ask you to select a method. Either Custom or Easy. We'll be doing Custom today.
  3. Select either Wired or Wireless. Method works for both, but preferably Wired. Always.
  4. Select the operation mode. You can just let your PS3 do this automatically, so select "Auto-Detect".
  5. Now we get to the IP Address Setting. Here you will need to select "Manual". Now you fill in the following:
    • IP Address - This will have the Static IP address we'll use. Input 192.168.1.80, because it is highly unlikely that 80 other devices will be connected at the same time.
    • Subnet Mask - This should always be, and stay on, 255.255.255.0
    • Default Router - This is the Default Gateway you looked up earlier. Refer to your homework sheet, and input the IP address you wrote down.
    • Primary DNS - The same IP address as the Default Router.
    • Secondary DNS - The same IP address as the Default Router.
    • -Click the Right Arrow on the Direction Pad to go to the next menu.-
    • MTU - Automatic
    • Proxy Server - Do Not Use
    • UPnP - Enable if your Router supports it. It's extra port forwarding security. Can be seen/checked in the Router Configuration Page.

[*]Press X to save the settings, and the PS3 part is done. :]

The PC Phase

1. Go to your Router Configuration Page using your Internet Browser. Earlier on I explained how to get here, so read back up in case you forgot.
  2. Look for a tab that says something along the lines of DMZ. There is always a DMZ section, but this differs per Router. Just keep searching, though it should be wide in the open.
  3. Upon finding it, it will ask you to insert a Static IP of the DMZ host. This is simply the PS3 IP that we picked earlier, which is 192.168.1.80.
  4. Save all your settings.

The Result

For best performance, this is the time where you disconnect your Modem and Router, and turn both devices off. Turn your PS3 off, and your PC. Wait for about a minute to power flush all involved parties, and then hook everything back up/turn everything back on.

You are now ready, set and flying. If nothing changes, then it's stability and integrity that has just been improved, and you might not notice it directly, but will indirectly over the weeks to come. To some, this will drastically improve all performance, of both PSN and the PS3's connection - period.

I consistently download at 1.5-2MB/sec through PSN this way. If I let my PS3 do it automatically, it's anywhere from 1MB/sec to, well, 5kb/sec.

A known problem with some games is that this will do the opposite, and crash the game upon signing in to PSN. Damnation is one of them, if that game doesn't suck enough to begin with. Unreal Tournament 3 is also a victim. In this case, just turn all settings to Automatic, and resume to use your Static setting once you're done with said game.

Hope all this bullshit didn't put you to sleep. 8D HOLLER.

Extra info and tips

I would just like to add that if you do not want to go down the route of DMZ than you can go to PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall and there is list of most makes and models of routers, here you can find your router and select default guide.

This will show you how to setup port forwarding on your router,just forward all ports.

Basically the same as a DMZ but your still behind a firewall.

some people are scared of DMZ even though you are safe well your PS3 is anyway ;)

also make sure you forward for TCP and UDP Protocols.

Edited by Aidan

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to add that a lot of times, this is the set up for your Gateway login:

Login: admin

Password: password

I run a Netgear, if it matters.

EDIT: I get DNS errors whenever I try this.

Does your Router still detect the PS3 at all? Make sure that your Default Gateway IPs match. Often times you get a DNS error because you haven't done the PC steps yet. Do these first, then test the connection again.

Also, try to power down all devices after the settings have been saved, then turn them back on a minute or two later. Router settings sometimes take a while to pull through, and some require a reset.

Edited by Aidan

Hi,

First great help Alayes,

I would just like to add that if you do not want to go down the route of DMZ than you can go to PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall and there is list of most makes and models of routers, here you can find your router and select default guide.

This will show you how to setup port forwarding on your router,just forward all ports.

some people are scared of DMZ even though you are safe well your PS3 is anyway ;)

once again great help Alayes

Edited by RTISYOURNEMESIS

while i agree with the main post i wanted to add something else that works for me. i have a cable modem that i switch back and forth between a wireless router and direct connection to my ps3. when i want to direct connect to my ps3 i set it up this way: wired connection, custom, auto-detect device settings, auto-detect IP address bla bla bla. The only thing i change is the DNS servers. I open my router info on my laptop (192.168.1.1 for me) and i find the DNS servers that i normally use. I input them into the DNS server list when setting up for direct connect on my ps3. no proxy and disable the uPnP.

This setup works PERFECTLY for me. Especially on CODW@W. I can tell a vast difference in my playing ability and speed between my wireless and wired connection.

So i guess what im saying to everyone here is USE WIRED CONNECTION IF U CAN.

PS i tried the whole DMZ thing but didnt really see a big difference in the quality of the connection. Wired works SO much better.

PSS. About the subnet mask. (255.255.255.0) I would definitely check on your PC b4 using this. I say this cuz mine is 255.255.248.0. If u enter the wrong value it uh... wont work.

PSSS. I was under the impression that the DNS (primary and secondary) are DIFFERENT than the default gateway? i mean would that not make sence. The one guy posted he kept getting DNS errors. Um i think thats why. DNS servers are always different than your default gateway. When i used to set up my router how you described here the DNS servers were always different. For my wired connection they are too. Perhaps you should check this?

Edited by WickedNite

DMZ works for both Wired and Wireless. I already recommended Wired over Wireless, though the differences are becoming smaller and smaller with routers increasing in strength.

I'll add the subnet mask, though it SHOULD always be 255.255.255.0. Perhaps in a very rare case it's different, but this isn't normal.

And no, the Default gateway, Primary and Secondary should be the same.

Like I mentioned in my post, this method might or might not work for your personal setup. There's thousands of variables when networking, which is why I mentioned mine is a major guideline to go by, and you'll have to tweak and turn here and there to match it to yourself. Most of the time, following this will simply yield the best results, but if you have a different setup, you'll have slightly different results.

Edited by Aidan

I've performed the steps Alayes outlined and have noticed a pretty significant performance boost. Granted, I went from a wireless connection to my router that was a floor and a few rooms away to a straight wired connection. That alone probably had a significant effect on my connection. I can't really say whether or not the DMZ part made that much of a difference, but it's an improvement nonetheless. As he suggested, I set the Default Gateway and both DNS settings all to the same number and it works perfectly, so I'll confirm doing so does not cause a DNS error. The only thing I did differently was change the device number of the PS3's static IP address, as this doesn't really matter as long as the router knows what's what. All in all, great guide.

Oh, right. Now that I find myself with enough time AND remembering that this is here, this is exactly the stuff I had to do for my DS when Mario Kart DS first came out. I don't know why I never thought to do this sooner for my PS3 and 360.

But damn, is it always only one IP address able to be selected for DMZ? It seems I already did that for my DS as well, and I don't want to go in and change this every time I change consoles.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that mine is Linksys.

EDIT: I found another page, called "QoS" or Quality of Service I guess. I could tell it to make devices plugged in high priority for the connection based on where they were plugged in to the router, and mac address. I set that up to highest for both my PS3 and 360 (only 1 TV so they won't be on at the same time). It got the 360 to shut up about "moderate NAT" stuff, but the PS3 still says NAT 2.

So I guess my question now is, WTF is NAT? :p

Edited by mjc0961

NAT is how your PS3 connects to the internet. NAT 2 means its behind a router. NAT 1 means it has a direct connection. Obviously NAT 1 is better.

But damn, is it always only one IP address able to be selected for DMZ? It seems I already did that for my DS as well, and I don't want to go in and change this every time I change consoles.

This might be a linksys issue (im not sure) but you SHOULD be able to have multiple DMZ IP's. On my netgear it has a list kinda where you can add/edit/remove DMZ IP addresses. Maybe linsys doesnt do it that way, i dunno.

@ Alayes. OK i just checked my PS3 and yeah your right about the DNS vrs Default Gateway. I was thinking about WIRED connections not WIRELESS. When i set up my wired connection the DNS is different. my bad. no offense. And heres something funny. When i run wireless my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 but when i run wired its 255.255.248.0. Weird eh?

Edited by WickedNite

NAT is how your PS3 connects to the internet. NAT 2 means its behind a router. NAT 1 means it has a direct connection. Obviously NAT 1 is better.
In that case, it's going to be staying at NAT 2. I don't know why the 360 was bitching about it so much if that's all it means. It was going "OMG MODERATE NAT GO TO OUR SUPPORT PAGE NAO!!!!

In that case, it's going to be staying at NAT 2. I don't know why the 360 was bitching about it so much if that's all it means. It was going "OMG MODERATE NAT GO TO OUR SUPPORT PAGE NAO!!!!

ROFL! yeah lol. I guess to put it easier NAT2 is a wireless connection and NAT 1 is a direct connection to your modem through a wired connection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi,

First great help Alayes,

once again great help Alayes

I would need to disagree with, well, all of the above. I'll take each section and define why it is incorrect.

"This will show you how to setup port forwarding on your router,just forward all ports."

-No, don't. Why would you? What is the point? All online games only use UDP connections so that it doesn't require a 3-way handshake and thus overhead. Plus, the odds that you would need to use 65000+ ports to play an online game is ridiculous. But if you still want to believe it, I would suggest only forwarding UDP 1024+, but even then I still don't recommend.

"Basically the same as a DMZ but your still behind a firewall."

-No, you are not. Forwarding all ports means all connections are allowed. Sure you can say you are behind a firewall all you want and technically, you are, but you are still allowing everything. Thus you are physically behind a firewall, but it isn't doing anything.

"also make sure you forward for TCP and UDP Protocols."

-Again, don't. Ever hear of the term DDoS'ing? This is commonly done using UDP packets since those packets don't require a response. I will attempt to explain this so the non-networkers of the forums can understand (no I don't mena to belittle anyone, its just not common knowledge, if I sound insulting I apologize). If you place your PS3 in a DMZ then UDP packets are able to reach it. Now, lets say some DDoS punk somewhere decides to attack a full subnet (can be a lot of hosts) and your public IP happens to fall in that range. Well now you are conviniently forwarding every packet that is being sent by this person to your PS3. Most packets are fragmented (i.e. not complete packets) and are commonly discarded. But now think of millions of these packets being sent on a per minute basis to your PS3 unit. Do you really think the PS3 can handle this type of traffic? My guess is that it could choke from attempting to process and this could lead to other physical damages. Its like putting a fat guy through the eye of a needle, some things were just not made big enough to handle the load.

As for this guide increasing the inet connectivity speed of your PS3, I hate to say it, but no it does not. Moving your PS3 from behind the firewall/NAT to a DMZ/NAT does nothing but open access inbound. You DO NOT need access opened inbound to play. Your PS3 initiates all the connections in an online game. Thus..outbound packets (PS3 sends data to PSN).

Your router still has its state tables, and NAT translations to perform whether you are in the DMZ or not. So when it all comes down to it, it is how quickly your router (or other NAT'ing device if PS3 is not connected straight to ISP's CPE) can negotiate NAT translations and state tables.

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news and will probably just be flamed for this post, but might as well be hated and speak the truth instead of loved and provide information with no statistics on it actually helping.

So yeah, take this information as you wish, I just wanted to make sure people understood what it was they were doing. If you wish to learn a bit more or wish to chat networking we can take it to PMs or elsewhere. And yes, I work as a network/security engineer, I do these things everyday. :) (might explain by bitter/sarcastic nature at times :p )

So sorry for double post.

Much like mjc, I actually use a QoS statement for my gaming consoles. I run all my consoles wireless and the QoS statement wraps the packets and gives them a higher priority than standard traffic (i.e. like web surfing or IMing).

I also use different vlans (virtual lans) for gaming wireless, standard wireless, gaming wired (nothing as of yet until I get the house wired), and standard wired. This helps keep traffic from someone using the computer to check email from interfering with my gaming. Granted all the traffic goes through a single device out to the net, this is where QoS becomes important.

So yeah, multiple virtual LANs to keep systems seperate (last thing I want is for someone to pull down a stupid virus that spams out traffic to the entire LAN), QoS at the edge, I also use a Juniper SSG20 as my gateway device (again, network/security engineer), so no linksys (which if you use I would recommend flashing the firmware over to DDWRT), and no netgear (damn POS devices). But never upgrade to anything like a Juniper or Cisco due to cost and the fact that if you don't know how to configure them properly to suit your needs, well then they are just basically an expensive paperweight.