PS3 Hard Drive change

chris8731

ok guys quick and easy one for someone. ive got an old 120gb hard drive from my old laptop ok formatted to fat32 ready to go. however no other external hard drive or flash memory to backup to. but i do have a thing (technical term) that turns my sata drive into an external device so, my question is can i remove the drive from my ps3 insert it into the 'thing' put the new one in the ps3, let it format it then send my game saves to the new drive from the 'thing' ive searched for days for an answer to this cheers.

Unless you have a backup of your PS3's data somewhere, you will lose everything that's on it as the drive will auto format the moment you put it in and turn on the system.

I have no idea what this "thing" is you're referring to :confused:.

See here for how to correctly upgrade your PS3's HDD: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/tech-centre/114394-hdd-upgrade-guide-how-back-up-fat32-format.html

ha ha sorry the thing is a metal box that you drop a sata drive into the plug a usb into it. but it basically turns your sata 2.5 drive into an external hard drive. so i was thinking if i put the hdd thats originally from the ps3 into it, it would be a back up ?? then transfer the data from the original drive to the new one?

Nope, it wouldn't work that way I'm afraid. Unlocked Saves, music and pictures can be copied via that method but anything else simply won't show as it wasn't backed up via the PS3's built in HDD backup utility.

The best advice I can give you is to follow the advice in the thread I've linked to as your way just won't work.