Why won't my blu-ray movie play?

DarqueDragon

I bought a brand new sealed copy of a movie from a couple years ago, put it into my PS3, and left the room. When I returned about 10 - 15 minutes later, it was still on the loading screen. I know some movies can take awhile, but never this long. Other movies work just fine, but certain ones seem to take forever to load.

Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else, and how can I fix it?

Edited by DarqueDragon

I have discovered the problem. A friend pointed me to an official playstation answer.

Turns out that there are times when the BD Live server for the studio that released that game is overloaded. If you go into settings, you will see an option for allowing blu-ray discs access to the internet, where you can select enable or confirm. If you switch it to confirm, it will ask when you start the disc if you want to let it connect. Select no, and it will load right up. This worked, and then I just changed it back to enable afterwards.

I have discovered the problem. A friend pointed me to an official playstation answer.

Turns out that there are times when the BD Live server for the studio that released that game is overloaded. If you go into settings, you will see an option for allowing blu-ray discs access to the internet, where you can select enable or confirm. If you switch it to confirm, it will ask when you start the disc if you want to let it connect. Select no, and it will load right up. This worked, and then I just changed it back to enable afterwards.

:confused: Why the fuck would a blu-ray disc need to go online anyway. The movie is on the disc, just play it! If you wanted to connect to the internet to watch, you clearly would have gone with Netflix or a similar service. :facepalm:

Sometimes all these technological advances are fucking stupid and get in the way of our entertainment rather than making it easier to get to. Anyway, enough ranting glad to hear you solved the problem and to get this information to keep in mind in case any of my movies get stuck (so dumb).

:confused: Why the fuck would a blu-ray disc need to go online anyway. The movie is on the disc, just play it! If you wanted to connect to the internet to watch, you clearly would have gone with Netflix or a similar service. :facepalm:

Watching the movie itself doesn't require the internet, but sometimes, certain special features do. These are usually things like updated commentaries or special access to sequel or related movie trailers, and things like that. It is a service called BD Live, which allows studios to update information and features on a movie using the internet. Have you not heard of this?

Watching the movie itself doesn't require the internet, but sometimes, certain special features do. These are usually things like updated commentaries or special access to sequel or related movie trailers, and things like that. It is a service called BD Live, which allows studios to update information and features on a movie using the internet. Have you not heard of this?

yeah some blu-rays come with PS3 themes, which requires you to connect online to get the theme.

Sometimes all these technological advances are fucking stupid and get in the way of our entertainment rather than making it easier to get to. Anyway, enough ranting glad to hear you solved the problem and to get this information to keep in mind in case any of my movies get stuck (so dumb).

It's probably like an update,

I can see your point though,

Forcing to download the update EVERYTIME instead of a convenient option of no or yes per dvd is overly stupid.