Changing NAT Type Guide

JackParke

5lC1xn9.png

Graphics by morg106

I saw a couple of questions about people NAT type, their restrictions and generally not knowing what it is, so I have put up a guide, for people to understand what it is, and change their NAT if needed.

Terms

• DMZ (Demilitarized Zone)
    Short for demilitarized zone, a computer or small subnetwork that sits between a trusted internal network, such as a corporate private LAN, and an untrusted external network, such as the public Internet.
  • MAC Address (Media Access Control Address)
    Short for Media Access Control address, a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. In IEEE 802 networks, the Data Link Control (DLC) layer of the OSI Reference Model is divided into two sublayers: the Logical Link Control (LLC) layer and the Media Access Control (MAC) layer. The MAC layer interfaces directly with the network medium. Consequently, each different type of network medium requires a different MAC layer.
  • NAT (Network Address Translation)
    Short for Network Address Translation, an Internet standard that enables a local-area network (LAN) to use one set of IP addresses for internal traffic and a second set of addresses for external traffic. A NAT box located where the LAN meets the Internet makes all necessary IP address translations.
  • Port
    In TCP/IP and UDP networks, an endpoint to a logical connection. The port number identifies what type of port it is. For example, port 80 is used for HTTP traffic.
  • Port Range Forward
    An interface on a computer to which you can connect a device. Personal computers have various types of ports. Internally, there are several ports for connecting disk drives, display screens, and keyboards. Externally, personal computers have ports for connecting modems, printers, mice, and other peripheral devices.
  • Static IP
    Generally refers to elements of the Internet or computer programming that are fixed and not capable of action or change. The opposite of static is dynamic.
  • TCP (Transmission Control Protocol)
    Abbreviation of Transmission Control Protocol, and pronounced as separate letters. TCP is one of the main protocols in TCP/IP networks. Whereas the IP protocol deals only with packets, TCP enables two hosts to establish a connection and exchange streams of data. TCP guarantees delivery of data and also guarantees that packets will be delivered in the same order in which they were sent.
  • UDP (User Datagram Protocol)
    Abbreviated UDP, a connectionless protocol that, like TCP, runs on top of IP networks. Unlike TCP/IP, UDP/IP provides very few error recovery services, offering instead a direct way to send and receive datagrams over an IP network. It's used primarily for broadcasting messages over a network.
  • UPnP (Universal Plug and Play)
    Short for Universal Plug and Play, a networking architecture that provides compatibility among networking equipment, software and peripherals of the 400+ vendors that are part of the Universal Plug and Play Forum.

PS3 NAT Types and Meanings

• NAT Type 1
    You are either NOT behind a router/firewall OR you have already DMZ enabled your PS3. Your PS3 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.
  • NAT Type 2
    Your PS3 is connected to a router. Your PS3 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.
  • NAT Type 3
    You are behind a router/firewall. While your PS3 may be able to connect to the PSN and perform downloads/updates other functions may not work as intended.

How do I find out my NAT Type?

Settings -> Network Settings -> Internet Connection Test

Once it has completed, you will see your NAT Type at the bottom (see image).

http://bt.custhelp.com/rnt/rnw/img/enduser/connect_ps3_by_wifi_image012.jpg

How can I change my NAT Type?

If your NAT Type 1 or 2 then you are fine, and dont need to change it, everything is in working order. If you're NAT Type 3 then you will need to change it.

• In most cases you will have to assign your PS3 a static IP address. You'll need to know your PS3s MAC address to assign a static IP. To find your MAC address simply go to;

Settings > System Settings > System Information

You will then find your MAC address, write it down.

Now is the tricky bit - port-forwarding.

Generally, the address to port-forward is 192.168.1.1, just copy and paste that into your browser. If its not the address stated then go to:

Start -> Run -> Now type in ''cmd''

A black box will pop up, then type in ''ipconfig/all'' and hit enter.

It will then come up with all your information, to find the address you need to enter into your browser, look for Default Gateway, beside that will be a long number broken up by dots, you need to paste this into your browser.

You will then have to log-in, check your router manual if you dont know the password, it could be default. Note: Some routers will have the password on a label/sticker on the router itself, so check there too.

example;

Username: admin
    Password: 1234

Username: admin
    Password: (blank)

I dont know your password or usernames so its different for everyone.

Once logged in go to Applications and Gaming -> Port Range Forward.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/WRT54G4.jpg

You then need to open ports

• TCP: 80, 443, 5223
  • UDP: 3478, 3479, 3658

http://i42.tinypic.com/2ps3n0o.png

Once you've done this turn off your PS3 and power cycle your router. Run another Internet Connection Test and you're hopefully NAT Type 2.

http://media.twango.com/m1/large/0059/ed44497e4808423ea9cdf6a8ea35fd96.jpg

Useful Links
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp-R-eHiQco&feature=related]How to: Port Forward - YouTube[/ame]

Type 1 - Connected directly to the internet (no router/firewall). Should have no issues.
    Type 2 - Connected through a router properly. Should have no issues.
    Type 3 - Connected through a router without open ports or DMZ setup for PS3. Everything should function properly, but you may have connection, voice chat or other issues.

Edited by JackParke

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good advice and tips.I'm type 2 in my Nat settings and I can't seem if it open or not.

You are connected properly :)

PS3 NAT Types and Meanings

NAT Type 1

You are either NOT behind a router/firewall OR you have already DMZ enabled your PS3. Your PS3 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.

NAT Type 2

Your PS3 is connected to a router. Your PS3 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.

NAT Type 3

You are behind a router/firewall. While your PS3 may be able to connect to the PSN and perform downloads/updates other functions may not work as intended.

I've been on type 3 for years, I've tried and tried and tried but I just can't seem to do it.

To log in to the 192. etc I have to put in my username and password for my broadband sub and then once that's done I just have some stuff that shows info like 'how long router has been turned on' and disable WPA security.

Nothing about port forwarding :(

EDIT: Jack you do realise you can delete your own posts? Click 'edit' > 'go advanced' > 'delete' ;)

Edited by Harry94_

I've been on type 3 for years, I've tried and tried and tried but I just can't seem to do it.

To log in to the 192. etc I have to put in my username and password for my broadband sub and then once that's done I just have some stuff that shows info like 'how long router has been turned on' and disable WPA security.

Nothing about port forwarding :(

Take a screenshot of it and show me, I'll try and help you, what router do you have?

And for the MAC address, only some people need it, if you dont need to input it then dont bother, I will add a image of how the port-forwarding process should look in a minute.

Take a screenshot of it and show me, I'll try and help you, what router do you have?

And for the MAC address, only some people need it, if you dont need to input it then dont bother, I will add a image of how the port-forwarding process should look in a minute.

It's a Thompson Gatway, I also just realised I was going to the WRONG address! :facepalm:

After looking in command prompt I found out :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice guide. I have my ISP modem, after that my own router with WIFI. I connected the PS3 to my own router..logged in to the router and put it in in Bridgemode. Now when you connect with the PS3 the thing won´t see the router and will be connected directly to the modem..giving you NAT2. Found out this was for me the easiest solution :)

• 2 weeks later...
Nice guide. I have my ISP modem, after that my own router with WIFI. I connected the PS3 to my own router..logged in to the router and put it in in Bridgemode. Now when you connect with the PS3 the thing won´t see the router and will be connected directly to the modem..giving you NAT2. Found out this was for me the easiest solution :)

Yeah that works too, but not always :p

• 2 weeks later...
I have NAT type 2 but I have problems connecting to a people on FIFA, loose connection regularly in BF3 and I can't connect to nearly everyone on my FL on black ops and Mw3 as it's strict. Any solutions?

Could be because your from Scotland, and normally it matches to local players (sometimes).

Or paste your IP into the DMZ slot, and it will open every route on your PS3.

Black Ops and MW3 have big problems with NAT types and some people I've read about have an Open NAT for everything except those 2. Getting a Static IP may help but it may not as it seems to be an inherent problem with the game, Bulletstorm had the same problem until they fixed it.

Doesn't COD try and match you locally?