Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > >

Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Exodus_AoA

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Default Question regarding Data Transfer Utility, Gamedata, and PSN Games

Hey Guys,

When I was swapping my fat Ps3's hard drive from a 60 gig to a 320 gig a few months back, I remember all going well until I tried to restore the data to the new hard drive and found that because I had backed up my downloaded PSN games that it said the restore failed (of course it waited until 3 hours and 99% complete to tell me that, Grrr) When I had to repeat the whole process a second time I went overboard and just deleted all of my game data utility and PSN games. (Honestly, I only care about my save files/copy protected save files) The downside to deleting all that I deleted was that it took almost two days to reinstall each game and all patches.

Now my Fat PS3 has YLOD on me and currently is being repaired at a local shop, I have already bought a new slim ps3 and upgraded the hard drive to 500gigs.

When I get my old one back I plan to use the Data Transfer Utility to move my files over to the new one and I already know the method to do so. My question is what exactly can be moved & what can't?? Do I need to delete my downloaded PSN games again first so it doesn't fail? If so, Do I also have to delete all my installed game data utility to keep it from failing or should that be fine?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

--Top 3 100% Games--
1. Prototype
2. Bionic Commando: Rearmed
3. Max Payne 3

Last edited by Exodus_AoA; 08-03-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Exodus_AoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
BreadSkin
Super Moderator

Awards Showcase THL Season 7 - Blackout   Bread's ''Y U No Play These Gamez?!''   Lab's ''Did Someone Say Chimichanga?'' List   THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   First PS4 Game Nights   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Word of Mouth - Platinum   THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums   Almost Golden   Staff - Super Moderator   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades
Total Awards: 24 (more» ...)

Its been a while since I last used this, but I'll just tell you from what I remember.

I left everything the way it is on my old 80GB (320 HDD), since I just fixed the YLOD myself and coldn't afford to waste anymore time to delete/backup things before it decides to die again. Data Trasfer lasted about 6-8 hours I think, no freezes fortunately. Once I booted up my new Slim, everything was there, Game Data, Save Files, everything. Stuff I downloaded from the Store though, I had to redownload them again. This goes for videos as well.
BreadSkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
technole
Maximum Clubs Director

Awards Showcase Tech's Turrets Syndrome   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Bronzer Than Nothing   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Guide Supplement Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth - Platinum   THL Season 1 - Close But No Cigar   5,000 Posts   Call of Duty 4 Birthday
Total Awards: 21 (more» ...)

Yep, Bread is right. Everything moves except store downloads in the data transfer utility. The one thing to note is your locked saves will be deleted/removed from your old PS3 and moved to the new PS3. Everything else will stay in-tact.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Exodus_AoA

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

Thanks so much for clearing that up guys, really appreciate it!!

--Top 3 100% Games--
1. Prototype
2. Bionic Commando: Rearmed
3. Max Payne 3
Exodus_AoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
alexyov1

Send a message via MSN to alexyov1 Send a message via Yahoo to alexyov1

i just used the Data Transfer Utility these past weekend, i went to the PS3 digital manual and followed step by step, i was expecting multiples problems but i was amazed how nice and easy it all was, it transfer everything from one to the other, didn't lose anything in either PS3 and it only took 2 hours and 15 minutes, both my PS3 have 320GB hdd with 160GB data, i have messages, movies, dlc, dl games, save data and i have multiples accounts and everything was OK even the themes were transfer on each account

alexyov1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
SauceyWombat

I'm sure the OP has already moved past this situation, but I wanted to chime in with my own experience.

Just a few months ago I upgraded my original 60GB console's HDD to a 500GB HDD. In preparation for this I used the Backup Utility with an external USB HDD. Then when I completed installing the new 500GB HDD I used the Backup Utility to restore from the external USB HDD & everything that was on my 60GB drive was successfully transferred to the new 500GB drive.

I had many PSN games, themes, & a few copy-protected game saves that all transfered flawlessly.

I don't understand why the OP had trouble getting his PSN games to transfer over.
SauceyWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
Naberios

I didn't see you mention this, but when dealing specifically with PSN content, you need to make sure you deactive the old drive(system), and active the new one to be able to use some of the PSN and other protected content....
Naberios is offline   Reply With Quote