Tearaway at half price on PSN a MONTH after release

Noid

I'm curious if anyone else has any thoughts on this. I've avoided picking up Tearaway due to my insane backlog of games. At least I have, up until now. Today a Flash Sale was announced on the PSN for this weekend, and the game is now $17.99, down from $35.99.

Did you buy the game at release? If so, do you have any feelings about this situation? I avoided the game for a month and have now purchased it at half the price that you did. Is that... right? I dunno.

I'd love to hear others' opinions on the matter!

I've bought it for 21€ on Black Friday. It definitely worths the price.

Dunno if it is a good idea to buy it on the PSN, once you Platinum it, you will probably play no more, so if you buy it boxed you could resell it o trade it in...

I buy all my games digital. I've never traded anything in. Psn is where I buy my games.

I went to buy the game after wanting it for a very long time and finally getting money, I think it was on this most recent Monday (The 16th). I went to Best Buy first to pick up Injustice, had $15 in Reward Coupons and got it for $25. So being all happy and stuff I went over to GameStop as BB didn't have Tearaway. Good frickin' thing I did, GameStop was having a seemingly random %50 off Tearaway sale. I was wondering what was up with that, but I just grabbed it and left lol, got two for the price of one xD

I don't know why everyone wants to sell games back though, when I play a good game I like continuing to own it just to have it or maybe to play it again years in the future. It's not like you really get anything for selling a game back anyways.

I buy all my games digital. I've never traded anything in. Psn is where I buy my games.

Then you probably just need to choose if you want to have it now for 20$ or just wait for it to be free on PS+ :D

I don't know why everyone wants to sell games back though, when I play a good game I like continuing to own it just to have it or maybe to play it again years in the future. It's not like you really get anything for selling a game back anyways.

Well, I am quite sure that given the amount of games I'd like to play and given the lack of time I have now that I'm graduated and started a job, I will probably play no more to Tearaway (and games like it that have a very low "re-playability").

Furthermore, consider that gaming in Italy is a market for high-class, not everyone can afford it. We have some stupid taxes on digital goodness, and also on physical supports (consider that a new-released game's price is 70€ while in UK sometimes you can find it at 50€, that's almost 25$ difference).

Translating games in Italian sometimes means higher post-production prices and that rises the final product price from the producer itself rather than the seller. That said, we never experienced a bargain like God of War Ascension at 10$ for instance :(

When I was a student, I had to re-sell games to find money to buy new ones. I have no collection now, so reselling Tearaway is what I will probably do :D

Edited by Pipokkio

It's true, this could very well end up as a ps plus freebie eventually, but for $18 I'll be glad to support the game.

It's a shame to see a gem like this get lost in the shuffle, I think it wasn't a good idea to release it in November, should have waited a little longer if they were going to delay it anyway.

I got mine today on a flash sale for $17.99

I don't know what kind of price Tearaway was on sale for in USA PS store when it launched but here in the UK it was available on the PS store for pre order at the low price of £19.99 which is more or less half price of all other Vita games.

So I don't think it has gone on sale 1 month after release, it's the standard price if the UK price is anything to go by, as we normally have the highest prices of all regions.

As for how many it's sold, it's just like Killzone Merc being released the same week as GTAV, that has sold extremely poorly too only just shaving the 100k mark. It makes me think that Sony now WANT the Vita to fail so they can kill it off n be done with it.

How else can you explain them releasing Killzone at the same time as GTAV and Tearaway at the same window as PS4, the same DAY as Xbox One AND Zelda 3DS and BOTH games with ZERO advertising or marketing of ANY kind?

Not to mention the fact Sony are giving Borderlands 2 to is in the IGC when that was supposed to have an imminent Vita release too. Who will want to pay £30+ for it on Vita when we've had it for free on PS3?

Either Sony want the Vita to die or they are the most STUPID business decisions ever made by a gaming company.

Edited by coodybaroody

I don't know what kind of price Tearaway was on sale for in USA when it launched but here in the UK it was available for pre order at the low price of £19.99 which is more or less half price of all other Vita games.

So I don't think it has gone on sale 1 month after release, it's the standard price if the UK price is anything to go by, as we normally have the highest prices of all regions.

As for how many it's sold, it's just like Killzone Merc being released the same week as GTAV, that has sold extremely poorly too only just shaving the 100k mark. It makes me think that Sony now WANT the Vita to fail so they can kill it off n be done with it.

How else can you explain them releasing Killzone at the same time as GTAV and Tearaway at the same window as PS4, the same DAY as Xbox One AND Zelda 3DS and BOTH games with ZERO advertising or marketing of ANY kind?

19.99 your money comes out to $34.99 my money (Canada). It's on sale for half price right now. In your money it'd be down to 10.36 if it were on sale.

Seeing as it sold a paltry 12,000 retail copies (no numbers on digital downloads tho), it's not surprising. I bought the digital version today because of the price drop and glad I waited.

It didn't sell that poorly at retail, it sold around 50K first week when I checked on VGChartz and now it's at 110k not including downloads. I know it's not 100% accurate but there's no way Tearaway sold only 12,000 copies.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/71024/tearaway/

Edited by Deak-in

It didn't sell that poorly at retail, it sold around 50K first week when I checked on VGChartz and now it's at 110k not including downloads. I know it's not 100% accurate but there's no way Tearaway sold only 12,000 copies.

Tearaway (PlayStation Vita) - Sales, Wiki, Cheats, Walkthrough, Release Date, Gameplay, ROM on VGChartz

I also see a lot of people on Near playing it, so it can't be that bad. Digital is probably much higher because for once, it is cheaper.

A friend of mine actually bought a Vita because of Tearaway.

• 3 weeks later...

Vita games often have big price drops in the months after release. There's also a good chance it will pop up on PS+ before too long, simply because there aren't that many Vita games out there.

The only game I ever paid full price for was Uncharted at launch. Everything else was either on sale (ACL, Batman, Tearaway, MGS) or was free on PS+ (Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Sound Shapes, Rayman Origins, Guacamelee, Unit 13 ... even Uncharted was free at one point).

It's a double-edged sword. I'm not complaining about all the games on PS+ but at the same time it affects my decision to buy games at launch and ultimately affects the success of the games and the system. I mean, why would I pay launch price for a game when there is an extremely good chance the price will drop or that it will be free within a matter of months.

That's precisely what stopped me buying Soul Sacrifice. And less than six months later it's free.

Edited by P_Pigly_Hogswine

I beg to differ. I import most of my games from the UK because they're often half the price they are here in Australia.

There was even a government inquiry into why Australians get charged so much more for the same software available cheaper everywhere else in the world.