First Ever.

RauCHeN ToKEN

Hey guys, this is my first ever Tales game and my 'resolution' for this year is to plat every game that I buy. I just got my kingdoms of amalur plat and am starting ToX tonight when I get off work.

My question is do you have any advice for a Tales noob on his road to platinum? I read through the trophy guide and am really excited to emmerse myself in this world.

Thanks guys.

Here's my advice on your road to platinum:

• First off - enjoy your time with the game. Play on Normal or Easy if you just want to have fun.
  • Play Jude's story first, and follow the sub-event guide so you don't miss any missable events. Try not to read forward too much in it (though there aren't really any spoilers).
  • Don't upgrade shops unless you have a 3x multiplier in the material you're donating, or if you're getting close to 99 of that material.
  • Upgrade the armour shop and weapon shops first, and then food. Items and accessories aren't too important. Don't go all the way to 100 before switching what you upgrade, just try to keep them at a reasonable level.
  • Make sure you always have food effects on. Doesn't matter what they are, you should have food effects on when you fight.
  • Make sure you stay linked, and have your allies switched to "Link Often" in strategy.
  • Leia's link skill (steal) is the most annoying to get, so you may want to stay linked with her the most.
  • Don't worry about grinding too much on your first playthrough - focus on getting all the chests, harvest spots, pirate treasures, etc.
  • Getting from 1-99 in NG+ is a lot easier than 90-99 in a normal game. 20-40x experience makes it fly by.
  • Fight any monsters with a warning symbol that you find (rare monsters). You'll still have to grind a few at the end of the game though.

Overall, it's quite an easy platinum. The game is hugely enjoyable, and my favourite JRPG from 2013. Your NG+ run will only take about 6 hours or so, and you can grind most of the trophies quite quickly after that.

• First off - enjoy your time with the game. Play on Normal or Easy if you just want to have fun.
  • Play Jude's story first, and follow the sub-event guide so you don't miss any missable events. Try not to read forward too much in it (though there aren't really any spoilers).
  • Don't upgrade shops unless you have a 3x multiplier in the material you're donating, or if you're getting close to 99 of that material.
  • Upgrade the armour shop and weapon shops first, and then food. Items and accessories aren't too important. Don't go all the way to 100 before switching what you upgrade, just try to keep them at a reasonable level.
  • Make sure you always have food effects on. Doesn't matter what they are, you should have food effects on when you fight.
  • Make sure you stay linked, and have your allies switched to "Link Often" in strategy.
  • Leia's link skill (steal) is the most annoying to get, so you may want to stay linked with her the most.
  • Don't worry about grinding too much on your first playthrough - focus on getting all the chests, harvest spots, pirate treasures, etc.
  • Getting from 1-99 in NG+ is a lot easier than 90-99 in a normal game. 20-40x experience makes it fly by.
  • Fight any monsters with a warning symbol that you find (rare monsters). You'll still have to grind a few at the end of the game though.

Overall, it's quite an easy platinum. The game is hugely enjoyable, and my favourite JRPG from 2013. Your NG+ run will only take about 6 hours or so, and you can grind most of the trophies quite quickly after that.

Thanks man! How do you get the multipliers when donating to shops? Also, is it okay to sell beautiful feathers or weird fragments? Or do I need them later?

EDIT: nevermind, I answered my own question about the feathers and the fragments. BUT, I still need to know how do I get the multiplier?

Edited by RauCHeN ToKEN

This is great information. I plan on coming back to this when I pick up the game. Is this all from personal experience, or did you read these elsewhere?

I want to emphasize the point about having food effects on all the time...I didn't start putting food effects on until towards the end of my 1st playthrough...I have had food effects on every battle for my second playthrough, and I am just about to beat my NG+ Playthrough...Still need 200 more food activations :/ I wouldn't have to do this if I used food effects from the start of my first play through

I want to emphasize the point about having food effects on all the time...I didn't start putting food effects on until towards the end of my 1st playthrough...I have had food effects on every battle for my second playthrough, and I am just about to beat my NG+ Playthrough...Still need 200 more food activations :/ I wouldn't have to do this if I used food effects from the start of my first play through

I started doing it right away, only missed 3 or so battles so far by not paying attention. Is there somewhere you can check how many you have/how any more you need?

I still need to know how do I get the multiplier?

The multipliers were random, IIRC. That's precisely why you should save the materials until the 3x multiplier shows up, so you can get the most out of them. When I got near 99 of any of them, I used to go for 2x at least.

Is there somewhere you can check how many you have/how any more you need?

I think you can check it in some "records" section, or something like that. Try to scroll down when you find it. It's been a while since I last played, but I recall that kind of information is always in that section, in every Tales game.

The multipliers were random, IIRC. That's precisely why you should save the materials until the 3x multiplier shows up, so you can get the most out of them. When I got near 99 of any of them, I used to go for 2x at least.

I think you can check it in some "records" section, or something like that. Try to scroll down when you find it. It's been a while since I last played, but I recall that kind of information is always in that section, in every Tales game.

Got it, thanks man. It also took me FOREVER to figure out the linked arte chains. I thought that maybe as long as I got the first one when the bar was filled up that it would count as one. Nope. When I finally found my stats I had over 200 linked artes and like 2 chains haha. They are tricky but I'm finally understanding them. I went to settings and put the one option to 'longer' so now when that purple action comes up saying "linked chain" it lasts a little longer and I can actually think about which one I just used and go from there.

Also, this is the first game I have ever played where I'm 15 hours in and still dont have a trophy! I'm loving it though!:dance:

My first trophy was complete Act 1 of Xillia lol...I also wanted to point out that it's okay to miss food activations after battles...Just so you are aware of it (Missing only 3 so far is very good xD)

As for the linked arte chains, I didn't even know you could do it until I checked out my missing trophies towards the end of my first playthrough...I played as Jude and used Milla as my partner...Was always able to get 7 chains in...You could get 8 easy if you put on the skills which increase Over Limit duration (Over Extension I think it is), but those skills won't unlock till you are a high level...There are also some rings which increase limit duration which you might want to look in to...

Oh one more thing: If I were you, I wouldn't sell anything and not put anything towards leveling up the shops until you beat the game on your first playthrough...You get great equipment as you progress through the game, so no need to buy stuff...And when you do finally beat the game, go to Xian Du, the Colisseum area, make a save...and then donate all you materials/gold towards one shop, get the trophy for maxing out the shop to level 100, then reload your save and repeat...

I carried over my shop levels (I had armor at 100 and everything else was like level 40) at the end of my first playthrough, and come my second playthrough, I maxxed out the item and accessory stores with weapons and food at level 80...My point is, if you try and upgrade the shops legit, it will be a grind...If you did it my way, it will be much easier :p

Got it, thanks man. It also took me FOREVER to figure out the linked arte chains. I thought that maybe as long as I got the first one when the bar was filled up that it would count as one. Nope. When I finally found my stats I had over 200 linked artes and like 2 chains haha. They are tricky but I'm finally understanding them. I went to settings and put the one option to 'longer' so now when that purple action comes up saying "linked chain" it lasts a little longer and I can actually think about which one I just used and go from there.

Also, this is the first game I have ever played where I'm 15 hours in and still dont have a trophy! I'm loving it though!:dance:

No problem. Glad you're enjoying it. Tales games are awesome. :)

Oh one more thing: If I were you, I wouldn't sell anything and not put anything towards leveling up the shops until you beat the game on your first playthrough...You get great equipment as you progress through the game, so no need to buy stuff...And when you do finally beat the game, go to Xian Du, the Colisseum area, make a save...and then donate all you materials/gold towards one shop, get the trophy for maxing out the shop to level 100, then reload your save and repeat...

I carried over my shop levels (I had armor at 100 and everything else was like level 40) at the end of my first playthrough, and come my second playthrough, I maxxed out the item and accessory stores with weapons and food at level 80...My point is, if you try and upgrade the shops legit, it will be a grind...If you did it my way, it will be much easier :p

I'll take that into account for whenever I go for the (P). Thank you!