Tales of Innocence R

Will it be hard to play for someone who doesn't know japanese?

Malhas

Do you think it would be too hard to play this game without understanding japanese? I'm considering importing it because it looks great and I need something new for the vita, but I'm afraid I will get bored for not knowing where to go or how to do things.

Is it still a fun game to play if I can't understand the story?

Well, out of a few japanese games I have imported and played, this one is a lot easier to get through the game without understading what is happening.

It's still quite tough though. Mainly, the game is pretty understandable as to where to go to keep the story going. 9 times out of 10, you go to town, talk to somebody in town, go to dungeon, repeat.

The things that are a bit difficult are:

The story: of course, you will not know what the hell is going on. That's a given.

Menu Navigation: The game's battle system is very easy to figure out and understand by itself, but anything more than simple equipement and item menus, and your in trouble. There are many, many menus in the game, from settings, artes, monster journal, skill unlocking, arte changing, etc. that you will pretty much be guessing on what you are telling your characters to do.

this isn't a huge problem, but if you want to go past the actual story mode, and tackle the optional dungeons for example, you will regret not being able to set up your party correctly.

There are NO guides for this game:

None! The best you will find is the walkthrough for ToI for the DS version, which can be helpful at times, but these two games are not the same. Mostly, yes, but there are additional characters, dungeons, and the story is just bigger. The DS version walkthough is not very detailed at all. Basically, it will keep you from getting completely lost. That's about it.

There is almost NO info for this game at all. The only actual helpful info I was able to find was a Grade shop translation which is great post game. Bout it.

All in all, the game is not very hard to get though without a knowlage of japanese. I don't know a word of japanese, and I am almost to 40% on playthrough 2.

The game is very enjoyable even without understanding anything other than the battle system to an extent, but one thing is for sure. You won't be bored playing this.... You will be too busy trying to figure out what you are supposed to do next lol!

Give it a try. Just don't expert an easy platinum, unless someone makes a very good trophy guide at the very least. If you want to play it to have something for your vita in the time being, I would say go for it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the detailed responce Blood! I'm surprised that nobody has put together any sort of guide... Kind of a bummer. I thought the demo was fun even though I was clueless lol. I may just give it a chance. As far as going for a platinum goes, are you close at all or do you have an estimate on how long it could take? Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the detailed responce Blood! I'm surprised that nobody has put together any sort of guide... Kind of a bummer. I thought the demo was fun even though I was clueless lol. I may just give it a chance. As far as going for a platinum goes, are you close at all or do you have an estimate on how long it could take? Thanks a lot!

I'm at 40% right now. It has taken me 42 hours to finish the game once, but only 6 hours the second time.

Like I said earlier, most of the trophies won't really be a problem, but there are those certain few that I have no idea what is supposed to be done. For instance, there are trophies for getting ALL skills and one for ALL artes, the thing is, like other Tales game in the past, there were always very cryptic side quests to obtain certain skills.

Another will be obtaining ALL titles. Let's put it this way, through two play throughs, I have not even got the "20 titles for all characters"

Then there is the "Low lvl clear" trophy that I am not even going to try going for, so FOR ME, Platinum is out of the question unless Namco ever decides to take pity on us and localize ToIR.

I was thinking of putting together a very rough walkthrough while I am on playthrough 3, but I have never made one before, and to even come close to doing it justice, it looks waaay too hard without understanding a word on the game.

If you do decide to get it, I will help you if you get stuck to the best of my ability, but maybe one day, somebody will make a guide for the game, and I can go after the remaining trophies.

Sounds like they'll never localize it, which is too bad :(. Seems like a lengthy platinum Even if You know the language but most likely impossible if you don't. Im going to keep my fingers crossed some kind of translated guide show up for it! I'll keep you posted if I pick it up and maybe I can help you too.

I had hoped I could find some good guide to help go through the story but I see that's not the case. When I played kingdom hearts birth by sleep on Japanese at least there were videos on YouTube with the cutscenes translated by fans. But I will get this tales even if it's in Japanese because even if it eventually ends up being localized to English it will take a long time yet.

And thank you Blood_Runs_Cold your post helped me to decide :)

I had hoped I could find some good guide to help go through the story but I see that's not the case. When I played kingdom hearts birth by sleep on Japanese at least there were videos on YouTube with the cutscenes translated by fans. But I will get this tales even if it's in Japanese because even if it eventually ends up being localized to English it will take a long time yet.

And thank you Blood_Runs_Cold your post helped me to decide :)

No problem guys.:) Like I stated, going through the actual story is pretty easy, you just don't know what is going on throughout. to get from begining to end is pretty straight forward, and very few times you will have to run around talking to every NPC you come across.

Chances are, this game will never be localized, but you still never know.. Namco is known for doing very strange things, like never releasing a sure hit, and releasing something they never should have. Only time will tell, but this game is worth playing if you are a Tales fan, even if you don't get 100% of the experience.

I am quite amazed that I have made it to 57% without any guides or any outside help other than that translated grade shop..

I'm sure people have gotten platinum on this game without knowing the language, but it isn't going to be a walk in the park.

Glad to hear your getting it. You will be happy you did.... Well, until Ragnarok Odyssey and Persona comes out haha!

That's exactly why I may not get it... At least for now. I have both of those games pre-ordered plus some Vita backlog to work through.

I hear that, but just an opinion, you should get it while it is fairly new. If you look at other japanese imports, they get more expensive as time goes by, and thats if they are even available at all.

Even if you don't plan on starting it right away, you might want to get it before it's like 150 bucks lol!

Just an idea.

Maybe after RO and P4, there will be some kind of guide to make your playing a little easier.

I hear that, but just an opinion, you should get it while it is fairly new. If you look at other japanese imports, they get more expensive as time goes by, and thats if they are even available at all.

Even if you don't plan on starting it right away, you might want to get it before it's like 150 bucks lol!

Just an idea.

Maybe after RO and P4, there will be some kind of guide to make your playing a little easier.

I didn't know that Japanese imports become more expensive as they get older... Good to know. I just may pick this up then :0) fingers crossed for some sort of a guide!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I feel so taken out of the game when i cant understand it.. If they dont want to voice it why can they just translate the menu and sub the rest?

I think the reason they aren't bringing the game over is lack of sales. And if I recall, some companies have certain regulations with requiring voices in English to be released on consoles (not sure with handhelds). They might have changed the rules recently though.

• 2 months later...
I think the reason they aren't bringing the game over is lack of sales. And if I recall, some companies have certain regulations with requiring voices in English to be released on consoles (not sure with handhelds). They might have changed the rules recently though.

Then why cant they just take the route that Warriors Orochi 3 did and release a subbed and translated menu version to the PSN? I would buy it in a heart beat! And they wouldn't have to pay voice actors or make new copies of the game..