What sort of game is this?

MikeMan54

Tales of Grace F & Tales of Xilla are both on sale, and I'm interested in getting a new rpg. but i don't actually know anything about these games

Is this a traditional turn based RPG, similar to early final fantasy games?

is it more of a FF13 style combat?

or is it similar to FF Tactics?

is it completely unlike any other series?

how would you describe it?

(note: I'm only using Final Fantasy as an example because I stick with what I know)

Speaking as someone else who just started this as his first 'Tales of...' game, I can give you some idea.

The battle system is quite different from Final Fantasy, i.e. it isn't turn-based but live. So battles tend to be an all-out action fest where half a dozen explosions are going on at the same time between your 4 player team and the monsters. It is in my opinion a lot more fun, and although you can pause the battle to select items/change setup and so on, you don't often need to so everything flows pretty well. You will only be controlling one character at a time, unless you are some sort of control freak and set everything to manual.

The monsters themselves are on-screen (no random encounters), similar to FF12 and 13. Tactics are moderate, in that you have a selection of moves, some of which are better suited to different monster types, and a basic strategy setup where you tell the AI how to behave. But it's easy to get the hang of and for 99% of battles, you can let the AI do it's thing and just occasionally adjust the settings. There are a range of difficulty settings for the battles as well which you can change any time and so if you want a challenge you can, and if you want to enjoy the story you can.

The system is similar to Star Ocean series if you've ever played any of those.

The art and story style is as you might guess very anime-esque and there's a lot of staples from anime in there such as costumes, cats, maids, stereotypical personalities, etc. But the story is really good and characters are interesting, and I'm enjoying the game a lot more than any other RPGs I've played recently, including the recent FFs.

The rest of the game is similar to older FFs in the sense that there are load of sidequests, secret locations and bosses, extra bits of animation, etc. and you can do things like upgrade weapons and so on. You could easily spend 100 hours plus on the game with all that plus the bonus 'Future Arc' at the end where you explore what happened after the main story. But if you just want the trophies, you probably need only half that. Personally, with these sorts of games I enjoy just exploring everywhere for the fun of it and the trophies are a bonus.

In summary I would describe it as a really good game!

Edited by bobthecrazydog
Addendum: PS I'm playing Graces F. I have Xillia but haven't started it yet, but am told it's pretty similar gameplay.