Vesperia, Xillia or Graces F?

SuperMegaShark

So, let me just explain quick where I stand in terms of the Tales series. I've played Tales of Symphonia which I really liked. Then Tales of Symphonia 2, which I really hated so I've had mixed feelings about the series.

Now, I'm playing Graces F and I'm loving it. It's far better than any of the Symphonia games in my opinion. I've not even finished the game but I'm already interested in Xillia and Vesperia. And I know they might not be localized for the PS3 ever, but...heres my question.

Too you that have played the ps3 games (Vesperia, Xillia and Graces F) which game do you think is the best out of the three?

I'm interested too hear about them so I know which one to hope for being able to play in the future. :)

Vesperia is better than Graces, and I haven't played Xillia yet.

Graces has a much better battle system than Vesperia.

As far as story I'd kinda rank them even. Vesperia's started out good then became a mess near the end, while Graces starts out meh and becomes a lot better towards the end.

Character wise Vesperia has Graces beat hands down, Yuri >>>> Asbel.

Graces is a lot better than I ever thought it would be for a wii port, but Vesperia just feels bigger and more, i don't know, complete.

Vesperia will always have a place in my heart as one of the best Tales games to date.

I have not played Xillia, but it looks like it would be better than both titles.

I have only played Vesperia but really enjoyed that game. Picking up Graces after done with ME3. The Vesperia story kind of never ended, but managed to not drag on. Even after looking at Xilia it seems Vesperia still has the best graphics and is from 2007. Did Microsoft put investment into the game to help it along in this matter since it was exclusive?

I have only played Vesperia but really enjoyed that game. Picking up Graces after done with ME3. The Vesperia story kind of never ended, but managed to not drag on. Even after looking at Xilia it seems Vesperia still has the best graphics and is from 2007. Did Microsoft put investment into the game to help it along in this matter since it was exclusive?

lol no!:applause:

If you watch battle videos of Xillia, they blow Vesperia out of the water graphicly. You also have to take into consideration the style of each game.

Vesperia was a more animated look. Graces more watercolor type (considering the limited graphical power of the wii, still looks pretty good)

I would have to say Xillia hands down, but it all depends on preference. I love the look of Xillia and the characters as well. The battle system is fun as hell and better that Vesperia's but I still prefer Graces' battle system above the 3. I agree that Yuri > Asbel but imo Pascal is now my favourite Tales character. I love her. I have yet to play Vesperia PS3 although I do own it, I beat the 360 version about 4 months ago. I have heard that Patty is an amazing character as well.

As for Xillia's story, I can't say I understood everything as my Japanese is far from perfect but it is easy to pick up and play even with no knowlegde of the language. From what I did understand of the story it was great!

lol no!:applause:

If you watch battle videos of Xillia, they blow Vesperia out of the water graphicly. You also have to take into consideration the style of each game.

Vesperia was a more animated look. Graces more watercolor type (considering the limited graphical power of the wii, still looks pretty good)

It was hard to tell from the videos.. and granted I have not actually played Vesperia since 2008 so that might attribute to how I remember it. lol. I really enjoyed the art style in that game though.

It was hard to tell from the videos.. and granted I have not actually played Vesperia since 2008 so that might attribute to how I remember it. lol. I really enjoyed the art style in that game though.

Agreed. It was a really fantastic looking game. I really liked the direction it went into. Made everything look like a cartoon lol

Graces F has the best battle system, Vesperia has the best protagonist. Seriously, Yuri was such a badass. It was nice playing a JRPG in which the main character had a more cynical view of the world and wasn't one of those rebellious angsty teenagers who come to their senses because of their friends. AND JUSTRICE.

It's too early to tell with Xillia, but from what I've seen so far it looks about average. The character descriptions make me rage though, they take cliched tropes to a new level

and wasn't one of those rebellious angsty teenagers who come to their senses because of their friends. AND JUSTRICE.

Yeah, if anything Asbel (grown up) must be on of the most annoying characters I've seen in a while. He's so goodhearted and "holy" it makes me sick. And every word out of his mouth is "friends".

He would probably forgive someone for slaughtering his whole family infront of him, as long as they did a friendship pact afterwards.

Edited by SuperMegaShark

Personally I prefer Vesperia's characters and story, however I prefer the battle system and CC system in Graces over any other Tales game (haven't played Xillia yet though).

As far as characters, I can honestly put up with Asbel about as much as I can Cloud, Tidus, Squall, or any angsty emo teenage douche bag. None of the characters in Graces impress me. I like the story, it's better than average but not even attempting to reach for greatness. As I said, however, it wins hands down when it comes to gameplay.

So at this moment, Vesperia > Graces

I will save my full verdict for when I play Xillia though.

None of the characters in Graces impress me.

I will have to disagree with you good sir. You seem to be forgetting Pascal, who is quite possibly the funniest Tales character ever. She is the jewel within the sea of mediocrity. Other than that I have to agree with you. Carry on!

I will have to disagree with you good sir. You seem to be forgetting Pascal, who is quite possibly the funniest Tales character ever. She is the jewel within the sea of mediocrity. Other than that I have to agree with you. Carry on!

agreed +100000000000000000000:applause:

Realy, though, no characters really annoyed me...Well, except Richard heh, but sure Asbel is a living breathing embodyment of the "Eye of the tiger" song, but other than that, he's pretty solid, and at least he doesnt have Stephan Hawking doing his VA work like Richard :eek:

Edited by Blood_Runs_Cold

She is cute I'll give her that and having her in the cat suit would have been a fucking great novelty if I had a yen card. However, I prefer Jade as a character, and I also prefer his kind of humor.

To be honest none of the characters really bother me, even Asbel. I guess I worded part of my previous post wrong, because I actually prefer him over the characters I mentioned in my previous post. He is leaps and bounds better than Luke from Abyss. However, none of the characters in this game really stand out to me. There isn't a character in this game that I love or hate. Pascal is my personal favorite, but she kinda has the effect on me that Mio had. However, I greatly appreciate the writers not turning her into the annoying bouncy girl.

I want to import it but I would rather understand what Im playing

I couldn't wait to play it lol. Impatience ftw! But I have studied some japanese so it's not like I was playing totally blind. I would suggest importing it only if they don't make a localization announcement in the next few months. (Or if impatience ever gets the better of you! :D)

well, i think i will be the first to say the graces f was the best hands down. do not get me wrong though, vesperia and xillia are breathtaking entries into the tales of franchise that could easily sway any from tales of graces over. with that said, the friendship story really hit me at heart, and i knew right away that this was my game of the year for 2012. like people have posted before, it is all preference. but imo, the system is perfect, giving players the choice of gameplay style and the free roam is fairly nice. Also, imo again, the the VO was top notch and the characters themselves played well throughout the story.

the friendship story really hit me at heart

It's funny that Namco Bandia marketed ToGf as this sunshine and rainbows game all about friendship. When I saw that initial trailer I could smell the cheese. However I imported the game anyways (which was about 4-5 months ago), and to my surprise I found out that this game is surprisingly dark. Yes they repeat the word friendship a lot but there is a lot of violence and violent themes in this game too. I'm gonna have to play through in English eventually for the finer story points, maybe it just seemed less cheesy because I was playing it in japanese. Who knows?

I assumed you meant the voice acting when you wrote VO. I think it's well done. Not as good as Vesperia but ok. The only voice I really have a problem with is Malik. I can not stand it....horrible...

Edited by Shinzokuu

• 1 month later...
all of them! tales is great! :p

I agree to that. Why pick one or two of the games when you can play ALL the ones you can get your hands on.

I personally own all the Tales of games released in NA besides both Symphonia games (don't have a Gamecube or a Wii) and both Destiny games (too hard to come by at good prices).

Haven't played Graces F yet but I have played Vesperia and it's great and I wish Xillia does get localized to NA.

I find Graces to be slightly better than Vesperia. I never finished Vesperia but would if it was on PS3. I've never played Xillia.

So here's my grand ranking of the ones I've played:

1. Tales of Graces f

2. Tales of Symphonia

3. Tales of Vesperia

4. Tales of Phantasia

5. Tales of Destiny

6. Tales of the Abyss

7. Tales of Eternia

8. Tales of Legendia (actually, still good)

9. Tales of Symphonia 2 (bad)

I haven't played Hearts, Innocence, or Rebirth or the remakes. I'd actually love HD remakes or re-releases of any of these above, except for Symphonia 2. Maybe.