Coop made easy! Basic info, tips, tricks & know-how starters guide

K-BAN

The past few weeks I have logged in around 48hours of coop and learned a good amount of knowledge from my time spent on the game and from players who have logged in 20+ & 40+ days ;O I have reached 100% coop already and have been playing many hours with lots of newer players from these forums. To you all I want to spread this essential knowledge and make understanding of it all loads easier. Also, Im tired of explaining it so many times and hope you bump into this thread before I inevitably add you, haha!

I hope you find this information most useful. Anything not mentioned here is probably already in the trophy roadmap. Still, use that post button if you must speak ;p

Hypothetically speaking, all weapons and abilities mentioned below anywhere will be maxed out and stages will be on expert difficulty. Also assuming you are playing with 3-4 players.

I have been jotting notes so this isnt in any particular order...

First and most importantly.. BE PATIENT!

The game freezes often for a few seconds everytime you complete a weapon or ability research or chip-rip an enemy which gives you a blueprint token. This causes the game to auto-save and lock up for a moment. The game will also do so for trophies that ping up. Now I dont remember this being an issue when I only had 2 other syndicate members when the game came out in February, so I am guessing this happens after a certain syndicate size. Who knows! The game will freeze for everyone when a blueprint token saves after an enemy has been chip-ripped because all players in the session benefit from it. You cant die while this is happening since it freezes all play. When you dont need blueprint tokens anymore, this will be less of a problem and not a problem at all if you are playing with people who also have all weapon upgrades purchased.

Weapons

To be honest, there are only two weapons you need to use on all the maps to make completing them smooth and easy. They are the Kusanagi ACR-10 assault rifle and the Castellano CQC-11 shotgun. An arguement can be made about the Kusanagi Sniper rifle, though also really good, but the assault rifle makes more sense and here is why.

- Both have the ability to fire through surfaces. The ACR-10 rifle needs to be upgraded first to it's alternate fire while the sniper rifle can do so standard.

- The ACR-10 rifle has 32 bullets a clip compared to the 8 shot sniper clip.

- The ACR-10 isn't too much weaker than the sniper rifle and has high damage in its fully auto firing mode, making it take out multiple guys before a reload.

- The sniper bests it with 1 hit headshots on enemies that don't have breach-able shields

As for the CQC-11 shotgun - this thing is badass! You will eat away enemy heavy units and Agents whole with its 12 shot clip. Standard enemies will die with one or two shots depending how much of the blast hits them. The alternate fire mode uses a single explosive shot which is it's own kind of sniper round and can kill most enemies on Normal difficulty with one shot. The alternate fire mode can be forgotten though.

Now what I recommend as a loadout is the Kusanagi ACR-10 rifle and APP3 pistol. This pistol has a nice three shot burst alternate fire that kills standard enemies in 1-2 bursts even on expert, most of the time still getting headshots. The clip size can net you multiple kills per reload. This is if you hold onto the pistol. I recommend searching around, then dropping it as soon as you find a Castellano CQC-11 shotgun on the ground. I have my class this way because enemies often have a shotgun for me to pick up while the Kusanagi ACR-10 is only found in weapon lockers, SOMETIMES. I've seen lockers change their goodies within when a checkpoint had to be restarted.

Other Weapon info

Bullhammer- pistol

This is my second favorite pistol because of its power. Often you will see enemies get blown in half by this. Depending on your tastes, use this before you upgrade the APP3 fully.

UMK Mark IV- submachine gun

80 bullet clip and can be used while carry any briefcase type item. Still, using one of the above mentioned weapons is preferred due to toughness of enemy groups. Stick to using this on easier difficulties.

Applications (abilities)

Before I get into details of abilities, let me point out something VERY important.

XP/Energy from attack action bonus' like killing and taking down enemy shields refill your attack abilities and healing/rebooting refill your defense/support abilities.

I noticed this while taking on an agent squad just the other day. I would put an agent to the ground while shotgunning his life away. He would then go down to his knees waiting to be revived. I wouldn't chip rip him but instead hack him until he explodes, giving me the 1000xp/energy. Then I noticed my Backfire was full and able to use again. I did this 3 times in a row. It came to me that my Backfire was refilling from the 1k in points I was getting. Im not sure if the campaign makes mention of this because I still have to play that ;p Over a day and a half logged into the coop and Im now finding that out. Not sure how many other players realize this.

First let me break down the 12 abilities in 3 groups. Ones that you NEED, ones that are PASSABLE and others that are a WASTE.

NEED

C2C Pulse - It heals you very fast and lasts for about 10 seconds of continuous health. Usually you will never go down when rushing into a swarm of enemies while activated. The enemies will only take you down if they are all focused on you. That usually doesnt happen when playing with other people since they kill or distract the enemies as well, giving you a Superman image with this on. 8) Also use this anytime you need to go out of your way to revive someone. Or run near your squad members since this heals players within the radius is pulses aka huddle together. This is THE best ability! Hands down. Maybe even thumbs up.

Backfire - Best to be used on Heavy enemies that have an impenetrable shield that needs to be hacked away first. Backfire will knock the tougher enemies on their ass but DO NOT use it when an enemies shield it still up. If it's the impenetrable overshield, that will still need to be hacked away and if it is the smaller shield afterwards, when the enemy is being shot and that shield 'breaks' - they will immediately stand back up awkwardly as if a magical moment. It breaks the animation of them slowly bringing themselves to their feet. USE backfire when their white health bar is currently up after both shields. This will still knock them on their ass and while they are down is usually when you can start hacking away their next overshield.

Damage Link - This can be considered passable too but you might as well use it with 3-4 players because the ease of completing a stage and killing heavy enemies with be SO much easier. Activate this when everyone is focused on and shooting a heavier enemies. Only one person needs this.

Shielding - Also can be passable. Very helpful with more players. Playing solo or 2 player you might as well choose a health reviving type ability

PASSABLE

Battery - One ability I never see anyone use but it can be one of the most important ones mainly if the players currently in the session are lower ranks and not as super soldier. This combined with C2C Pulse can result in a one-man army. Activate this before the pulse runs out to refill the bar and you will take out heavy enemies solo, while also refilling your teams abilities in the process.

Focus Target - Use it only on heavy enemies or it is a waste. Best used if the group of players you are with kind of suck ;p Slowing down the heavy enemy and making him visible to all through cover and causing the enemy to be weaker is kind a good thing. Use this with Backfire and the enemy is even slower getting back to his feet.

Squad Heal - Although you can see the health of all players, this is best used when you are taking some damage and need a quick pick me up especially if nobody is around to help you. But you can then ask yourself why you dont have C2C pulse on instead. Sometimes you just know when things are going bad for everyone at once and that is when this ability is best.

Reboot - The single most overrated ability you see lots of players using. Yeah you get to revive yourself after you have been put down many times you will die right after bringing yourself back up. Not just my experience with it, but lots of other players I have seen use it. Then the same checkpoint must be restarted. Think about it.. this is an ability you PLAN to use if you go down or "die" as we'll say. Looking forward to dieing? How about using an ability that gives health, thus preventing you from dieing. C2C pulse anyone? Benefit the team at the same time? Nuff said. Stop using this ;p It sometimes helps which is the only reason I'm going to label it 'passable'

WASTE

To sum these up quick, there are better abilities to use if you are playing solo and trying to survive and with 4 players these wont make much of a difference compared to those better abilities you can already use. 4 players will quickly hack the same target really fast so there goes EMP and Focus Breach. Together you will take out the toughest enemies fast so you wont need Virus to help you deplete their health. And with the love and care of those players to give you health, you wont need E-Drain. Skip using all of these.

sidenote

My setup of C2C Pulse and Backfire works wonders! Re-explainging some of this, here is my routine. I'll run at a heavy, active C2C Pulse which heals me faster than enemies can kill me > Start hacking their impenetrable shield > Use CQC 11 shotgun to mow through their smaller shield and into their white health bar > Use Backfire > Keep shooting while they are on the ground > Reload while hacking their next impentrable shield > Repeat the process.

Edited by K-BAN

All other tips and info for quick consumption

Now that you know of these abilites take out heavy enemies in this order

1. Guys with the Carbonite Flamethrower are deadliest

2. Then ones with the laser coil rifle

3. Minigun Heavies last. They have a hard time hitting you if you move and jump. The minigun is most effective on enemy agents.

a TIP for the minigun and flamethrower heavy weapons

usually an enemy has one before the next checkpoint in a map. If you pick up the weapon then drop it in the next checkpoint it will vanish. I've done this and seen other players do this - they will get to the start of the next checkpoint, put the weapon down to refill their other guns, then look on the ground for the heavy weapon they just had but its no longer there. so refill on a previous ammo box before continueing.

Four stages have Agent squads and one of the agents is the main medic. He is using the C2C Pulse abilities and should be taken out first. Chip-rip him since he will probably be revived if you try to hack explode him unless all 4 players hack him at once. You can see who is healing who from the red lines connecting their bodies, the same as the white lines you see when squad members are breaching something/someone.

These healer agents can still heal other enemies while they are down on their knees. I just witnessed this yesterday on Argentina when he was healing an Electric Armor that just wouldnt die.

ECM Enemies that block you from using your breach abilities like to stand near the heavy armor enemies. Look for the pulsing radio waves coming from their backpack.

Shield Breaker trophy

the roadmap guide does mention how the riotlance or electron mace can be used against riot shield enemies for the trophy but I will add to it by saying that in China, one of the first three enemies that runs out of the doorway at you has one. They can be found more often later on in this stage. On Scandinavia one of the first enemies also has one but harder to find later on sometimes. It usually ended up being a race to pick the gun up first. But now you know ;p

Melee execute enemies for a health boost in near death moments.

Hacked Grenades can be picked up for inventory use.

The best grenade breaching location a friend and I found was just after the roadmap area in Scandinavia. Once the first checkpoint door is open, kill all ground enemies, leave the ones higher up alive. One person hides behind the crate right infront of the door that opened while the other in the doorway breaches them. Ofcoarse this should be on expert as enemies are more grenade happy. Usually there is one enemy above you throwing many grenades but we had it be two guys at once which netted us both the trophy within 15 minutes combined. So many grenades were thrown it interfered with us healing one another if it came down to it. Lets just say it was a grenade lottery 8)

Briefcase glitch. Sometimes it can get stuck in your arm/gun. This can happen from the Mozambique and Colorado stages as well as the UGV ammo on China or Scandinavia which is optional 500pts a case to give the UGV robot. Usually you cant move once you try to deposit the case in the dropship or UGV. You can regain freedom from being put down, then rebooted. Once in Colorado it worked out for me as I was able to deposit the same case over and over, not needing to collect the last four. Usually this wont happen and you just get stuck in place.

Spawn Location tips

Mozambique - After depositing the first 4 briefcases, all the enemies in the stage will spawn until you kill them all. Kill them all and you can deliver the last 4 cases without a single bullet hurting that pretty face of yours.

Colorado - Enemies spawn with every 2 cases you pull from the wall. On the first set of 4 cases they will come out of the elevator as you get near it. The same elevator they attacked you at with the UAVs. The second set of 4 cases they will appear on the outside helipad, coming through the 2 doors. kill all those enemies and mercenaries can appear on the helipad near the turret you had to disable earlier.

Mercenaries SOMETIMES spawn on the three expert maps they can appear on. I've come to the conclusion Mercs wont come if you and your squad have performed poorly in the match up until when they are supposed to arrive. For Example - in Scandinavia, they come from the dropship out of the bay door you eventually have to exit before the final agent fight. One players leading up to that bay door opening, was constantly getting rebooted. The enemies that finally came were normal soldiers. Same thing happened in Colorado two times in a row. Mercs are supposed to show up in a separate dropship on the middle helipad that already has a dropship by the turret you needed to shutdown, after you kill all the enemies on the highest up helipad (same floor as the cases). We had a 3 player group not doing so well, lots of reboots, we killed all the necessary enemies on the helipad when a dropship came next to us and drop off regular enemies instead of mercs on the lower h.pad. Whenever we played smooth, little to no reboots, we got mercs. Western Europe is a different story since you cant open the next checkpoint door and I think not progress too slowly or quickly down the other end.

Rampage kill areas - Two good areas are on the above mention helipad and the elevators in New England in the big room where you fight lots of squads of enemies as their doors open.

Well that mess of a thread is out there. I really wanted to do this for a few days now so have at it!

Still feel free to message me at MATTKBAN and I'll do my best to add you into the fold or play with you when Im not busy. Happy gaming!

Edited by K-BAN

Just want to say, MATTKBAN is spot on with all his advice.

I especially agree with the following:

YES

- Do research early on the Kusanagi ACR-10 and the shotgun CQC-11

Between these two weapons you can take on every enemy type at every range with glorious efficiency. I play as a healer since I'm fairly crap at FPS murder sprees and I am still an unstoppable death machine with these two weapons.

- Lose the reboot

Your team wants to and will come to your aid. Rebooting others is good for everyone, for stats and trophies and general camaraderie and for survival of course. At lower levels, stick close to your buddies and use ANY OTHER ABILITY for much more xp and much more effective combat.

- 3 second freezes happen frequently

And they're nothing to get upset about. An unfortunate design problem but very consistent and manageable. They're unavoidable at low levels and become nonexistent at high levels, so don't feel guilty, or angry. If someone else is confused why it's happening, explain it to them. A grumpy player is a longer-lasting problem than a few seconds after a chip rip.

Edited by arbiekko

• 3 weeks later...

ADDITIONAL C2C PULSE INFO

1. If you activate this ability and immediately get put down and need to be rebooted, after being rebooted it may show you dont have the ability anymore as if you wasted it. You will still have the ability. Its a dumb glitch I have seen before and just realized I can try again and use the C2C Pulse.

2. Also this ability can last much longer if you are healing members with it as that refills it while it diminishes, which makes sense from the other info I mentioned about healing players refills abilities. Damn this application is good. 8)

Thanks arbie for the added words and wisdom! 8)

everyone has been pretty chill with the freezing too which is cool. At least they wont attack the text chat with hate that we are always in, haha!

and, sweet avatar! It makes me chuckle and is too friggin' adorable. He's ready for his new job interview ^_-

• 4 weeks later...

a few more knowledge-able tidbits..

- when I was playing solo I saw my C2C refill a little with each kill. something I thought I never saw when with people. Logging in several days on the game I should know the ins and outs of that wonderful ability by now ;p I shall pay closer attention next time I party up with people.

- Figured out today bullet penetration can happen on the tanks after the turrets have been deactivated. I did this on Western Europe when killing mercenaries that spawned.

- Mercenaries can be melee killed. I never once approached them to find out. One of our newer guys went and did it though which surprised me.

-BEWARE! when it Scandinavia you can encounter a horrible infinite spawning enemies glitch. You will need to quit to the menus and start fresh. Letting the enemies kill you and restarting the checkpoint wont work. This glitch happens in the second to last area while you are in a big storage room warehouse. It is supposed to end with the bay door opening up with a dropship and enemies. Then you move onto the final hanger area to kill the agent squad. Lots of enemies attack you and spawn in the storage room, but you will know when it is glitched. This occurs more often than the briefcase glitch in my experience with the game. Both dont happen too much but everyone will probably experience one of them at least once ;p

Edited by K-BAN

• 1 month later...

Mercenaries on Western Europe.

As anyone going for them knows they wont always show up, try this. Its a mixture of all my attempts, ideas and what the top guy on the leaderboard suggested long ago.

First- raise up the barriers and dont go past the furthest row.

Second- kill everyone before going through the alley and only the alley.

Third- dont hack open the door at the end since it can be breached from the barriers.

This got a player and I mercs 3 out of 4 tries the other morning. The one time we didnt get mercs, the other player went down the right side of the street.

Older posts suggested how we would kill some enemies then move fast through the alley to get merks. That was more fail than success. One player suggested they appear every 5 attempts. To me, what i described above, is the only rhythm to it. Good luck!

Edited by K-BAN

• 3 months later...

been forgetting the visit and update this since I do have a small crew Im still helping finish on the weekends. first with the..

Scandinavia - Infinite Spawning glitch

I noticed this occurred when someone with us left the room before this point or during. Thinking back to the day this happened a lot, we had someone with us that kept getting booted. So this glitch I now believe is related to that.

Mercenaries on Western Europe

I've seen them come on every situation possible!! ;p so just keep playing the stage on Expert to get some. If you have friends with you I much prefer Colorado. They more often show up there instead of the dropship with normal soldiers. Colorado only has.. 4 or 5 mercs while Western Europe has 7 and Scandinavia around the same number.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...