Mercenary Farming (Soloable)

hawknz

If you're wondering... "where the hell are those damn mercenaries??" Well they are a rare spawn that appear on certain maps on the Expert difficulty setting. I can not confirm or deny that they appear on any other difficulty but I have only seen them on the highest setting.

You need 20 kills total to complete the challenge for your CEO trophy and there is a very easy way to do this. I don't know if this will work 100% because I have not tested enough to claim that, but it worked well enough for me to get my kills very quickly.

On the first map "Western Europe", there is a drop ship that will appear carrying 6-7 mercenaries at the beginning of the map just before the first checkpoint. The drop ship lands just behind the tank with turret mounted on top and near the big doors you have to breach open to reach the first checkpoint. The trick to getting the drop ship to spawn is to leave the turret active while you work your way up the street clearing out all the enemies.

Kill everything and do not breach the turret or the door until you see the drop ship fly in for a landing.

Using this method, my friend PartTime-Hero and I were able to get this ship to appear at least a good 5 times in a row. We were able to get our 20 kills each in no time at all. After the Mercs are dead simply take out the Reactive and open the doors to reach the checkpoint. I'm not sure if this step is necessary but we wanted to hit a checkpoint just to be sure our kills were saved. Then simply quit out and restart. If the ship does not appear for some reason, or if it glitches out and doesn't drop anyone, your squad can suicide to restart for another chance. I can confirm restarting this way does work... you do not have to quit out every time.

I have also tested this several times solo and it does work. Just make sure you're ranked up enough to handle it. Equipping the Reboot and Squad Heal apps will help you if you get into trouble.

There is a line that you shouldn´t go further. It´s a little bit before the armored truck thats firing you. If you go to the truck (even if you don+t breach it) the mercs won´t spawn!

I´m 100% sure of this! You need to stay back and wait until no more enemies will spawn (usually there should be two guys on the roof top at some point and there will come a small squad with sergant from the doors you are supposed to go next).

The trick here is to go past the little booth (where ammobox is) but not too close to armored truck. There between those points, you can make the enemies appear.

When you are absolutely sure, there is no more enemies coming, then you can go to the truck and mercship should spawn.

Hope this helps. :D

Edited by hawknz

I tried this today solo, and it works perfectly every time. The only difficulty is getting a "beach head" established from deployment. Make sure you kill all enemies (even any guys on the roof of the building you go round the back of) and leave the turret on the APC intact (you can disable it when the mercs show up).

Once the area is clear a dropship will very obviously land beyond the locked door that you're supposed to go through. It turns up pretty quickly. It will drop about 6 guys with red health bars and an amoured guy. It doesn't say anything special when you kill them, but you will get one or more challenges complete (probably) for merc kills. It's also pretty obvious when it's worked.

Doing this not only nets you a load of merc kills, it also means you can enter the next section with a mini-gun :)

It also means there are no guys behind the breachable door which is kind of odd...

Edited by InfiniteStates

For me the drop ship spawns right after I kill the last enemy in the area so it shouldn't matter how fast you kill them. Sometimes there is a Spectre that spawns which doesn't seem to be linked to the drop ship as I have left him alive and still seen the ship spawn.

The Mercs are easy to identify. They look like Mercenaries you'd see in a cheesy 80s movie. Short sleeves and sunglasses, ect. They also have the red bar over their head like sergeants but it says Lt. in front of their name instead of Sgt.

Edited by hawknz

I tried this today solo, and it works perfectly every time. The only difficulty is getting a "beach head" established from deployment. Make sure you kill all enemies (even any guys on the roof of the building you go round the back of) and leave the turret on the APC intact (you can disable it when the mercs show up).

Once the area is clear a dropship will very obviously land beyond the locked door that you're supposed to go through. It turns up pretty quickly. It will drop about 6 guys with red health bars and an amoured guy. It doesn't say anything special when you kill them, but you will get one or more challenges complete (probably) for merc kills. It's also pretty obvious when it's worked.

Doing this not only nets you a load of merc kills, it also means you can enter the next section with a mini-gun :)

It also means there are no guys behind the breachable door which is kind of odd...

What map was it we had Mercs show up on last night?

I breached the cover in all instances and it worked every time.

Their spawn could well be related to the time it takes you to complete the mission (section). We were farming the top landing pad on Colorado yesterday, and when enemies eventually stopped spawning, a dropship full of mercenaries showed up on the middle pad...

Their spawn could well be related to the time it takes you to complete the mission (section).

I was helping some people boost reboots in Western Europe and we were at the beginning for quite some time. We then continued on to get some Merc kills but the ship did not show up. So I think you may be right. If you're too fast or slow in some instances, you may not see them.

i got it to work yesterday w 2 ppl in coop but couldnt do it on solo....i was on expert as well for both....does breaching the cover in the middle of the street and the side gate cause it to not work? I tried both ways and nothing

Breaching the cover shouldn't matter in my experience. If you feel like you're taking a while to get there, try improving your time. If you're rushing through, try slowing it down a bit. Sorry that's the only advice I can give you :( Good luck!

Edited by hawknz

I was helping some people boost reboots in Western Europe and we were at the beginning for quite some time. We then continued on to get some Merc kills but the ship did not show up. So I think you may be right. If you're too fast or slow in some instances, you may not see them.

Nope!

There is a line that you shouldn´t go further. It´s a little bit before the armored truck thats firing you. If you go to the truck (even if you don+t breach it) the mercs won´t spawn!

I´m 100% sure of this! You need to stay back and wait until no more enemies will spawn (usually there should be two guys on the roof top at some point and there will come a small squad with sergant from the doors you are supposed to go next).

The trick here is to go past the little booth (where ammobox is) but not too close to armored truck. There between those points, you can make the enemies appear.

When you are absolutely sure, there is no more enemies coming, then you can go to the truck and mercship should spawn.

If have done this many times myself. And only way this was not happening, was when some "noob" got too far!

Breaching the cover shouldn't matter in my experience. If you feel like you're taking a while to get there, try improving your time. If you're rushing through, try slowing it down a bit. Sorry that's the only advice I can give you :( Good luck!

I can confirm that you can safely breach the cover! You can also breach the gate at the alley, but don´t go too far the alley or you blow the mercspawn!

Nope!

Yeah I noticed this too while helping a friend get merc kills yesterday. We were having trouble getting the ship to spawn so we decided to hang way back in the alley until we were sure everything was dead. Once we started doing that they started dropping in no problem. I'm going to quote you into the first post if that's okay.

Which maps are the best for farming ECM, Liquid Armor and Electric Armor kills?

For ECM and Electrics I like New England on hard+. There are 4 Electrics and at least 4-5 ECMs.

Liquids are on anything below Northern Territories.

I'm going to quote you into the first post if that's okay.

You can quote me anytime.

Go nuts!

Actually i was hoping you to do so, because this is a good topic and lots of people are having trouble to get the mercs to spawn. So the more detailed the first post is, more people can get info!

Edited by pZiuz

I did everything you guys said and even waited 30 minutes: nothing!

You don't need to wait - if they're gonna spawn it will be fast. I've been having trouble getting them to spawn in Western Europe. I think I may have a guaranteed spawn though - Colorado, expert. Get to the second set of carry items and farm the top platform until it stops spawning guys (takes a while). Then mercenaries will land on the platform.

guys....the key is speed(western europe). The faster you get to the alleyway before the tank and take out all the guys, the faster they will spawn. I did it w 2 players...clear out the first area....reload at ammo crate than advance to the alley way where u breach the fence but dont breach it. I got the merc's to spawn over and over. after you kill the mercs and the heavy open the gate and breach the other side to ensure a checkpoint. quit to main and do it again, take you about an hour to farm 20 kills(7 mercs per spawn)

Edited by gixxerrider

guys....the key is speed(western europe). The faster you get to the alleyway before the tank and take out all the guys, the faster they will spawn. I did it w 2 players...clear out the first area....reload at ammo crate than advance to the alley way where u breach the fence but dont breach it. I got the merc's to spawn over and over. after you kill the mercs and the heavy open the gate and breach the other side to ensure a checkpoint. quit to main and do it again, take you about an hour to farm 20 kills(7 mercs per spawn)

Me and a friend did this tonight and we had to basically put together everyones post on here to get them to spawn, we had to open the gate in the ally, one of us ran behind the truck and one ran toward the front once we cleared out all the enemies, thats the only way they would spawn for us!

Me and a friend did this tonight and we had to basically put together everyones post on here to get them to spawn, we had to open the gate in the ally, one of us ran behind the truck and one ran toward the front once we cleared out all the enemies, thats the only way they would spawn for us!

I'm hoping you can assist with this on your Friday night with knocking these over with me as I've tried is solo but can't get it to spawn. I also have a couple of other boosting requests but they are minor... :o

EDIT: and just my luck I try it again when I get home and they spawn on Western Europe. Wouldnt spawn again though.

Edited by PsychoSmiley

I'm hoping you can assist with this on your Friday night with knocking these over with me as I've tried is solo but can't get it to spawn. I also have a couple of other boosting requests but they are minor... :o

EDIT: and just my luck I try it again when I get home and they spawn on Western Europe. Wouldnt spawn again though.

I can help you, theres a certain trick to getting them to spawn, its all about timing.