Tips for a noob?

dellboy81

Ok so im going to come out and say it - im rubbish at racing games. i can do ok on anarchy rush hour or burnout, even NFS but when it comes to ''real'' racing im screwed.

i bought this game on a whim and im regretting it as i fear ill be stuck on 0%. i cant even win one race or beat one lap record. even on easy im dead last.

am i getting the fundamentals wrong? since i dont drive in real life and have no desire to, am i not thinking correctly about how to navigate a course?

im just wondering if im taking corners wrong, i always drive on the inside of the track but then i come off too often, i cant maintain my speed going around corners, putting on the brakes just to avoid crashing out but then my times suck.

so if anyone has some basics id appreaciate it. ill be happy to win a few races, maybe get 10-15% trophies and sell it.

• 3 weeks later...

I hear you. It took me 120 hours to platinum NFS hot pursuit (40 hrs for other people). Now I am playing this arcade racing game. It feels completely different!! It took quite a while e to adjust to the control. I was trying to do shift all the time and the damn car just don't move a bit! I guess racing is just not my thing .. but I will give it a try.

Try brake before you enter a curve and use power all the way adjust your speed as well.

There's an easy way to plat this game and a hard way to plat this game.

The easy way? CUT THE TRACK! It may take a few laps in training for you to figure out how and where to cut the track without getting a penalty, but once you get it, you get the hang of it.

Most championships i finish 35+ seconds ahead of second place, even on Legend, because i know where to cut the track. It works on time trials etc too.

By all means try and do it legit, but cutting the track saves so many hours.

I'm doing it a second time (US PSN version) as we speak and it's simple since i've done the first one.

You can cut corners in countdowns. I did the countdown stuff last night. Take PortiMao, you know the turn were you go down the hill, and you can cut right across it? It still counts that you passed the maker, even if you haven't.

Most of the countdowns just require a steady pace anyway, they don't demand quick times. Just go steady and youl'll get a platinum on each one.

• 5 months later...

im pretty much in the same spot as the OP word for word. i knew it was a sim but thought it would handle well enough to turn properly, but i guess sim means sim. not allowed to cut corners during record laps even the slightest cut will get you an invalid. tried looking for videos to see what i'm doing wrong and the internet is devoid of any information regarding this, so the only thing that's even remotely useful is when the arrow turns red, telling me i need to slow down. i'm glad all the people who like sim racers found this to be a 2-3/10

but for all of us people who love arcade racers this game could not be anymore harder.

im pretty much in the same spot as the OP word for word. i knew it was a sim but thought it would handle well enough to turn properly, but i guess sim means sim. not allowed to cut corners during record laps even the slightest cut will get you an invalid. tried looking for videos to see what i'm doing wrong and the internet is devoid of any information regarding this, so the only thing that's even remotely useful is when the arrow turns red, telling me i need to slow down. i'm glad all the people who like sim racers found this to be a 2-3/10

but for all of us people who love arcade racers this game could not be anymore harder.

unfortunately you knew it was a sim so you really cant get too mad... i just started this today and already beat all the lap records and licenses within about 2 hrs

• 2 months later...

So, I've been playing this game all day and failing miserably. I've managed to beat the best time for two tracks and even then it was only by a very small margin. I've read and tried several tactics posted on this site, but nothing really seems to work well. Can some one please shed some light on what the key is to doing well with the time trials? I thought I was a pretty decent racer, but this game is just not clicking with me.

So, I've been playing this game all day and failing miserably. I've managed to beat the best time for two tracks and even then it was only by a very small margin. I've read and tried several tactics posted on this site, but nothing really seems to work well. Can some one please shed some light on what the key is to doing well with the time trials? I thought I was a pretty decent racer, but this game is just not clicking with me.

All i can say is just keep trying. Platinumed this yesterday its not really that difficult, But yeah just keep trying you will get it eventually.

I thought I'd follow up, as I have now unlocked the platinum. It seems that Yokimoto has the best strategy: cut the track. While the tactic is not perfect and does take some getting used to (as he stated), it will give you the edge you need to clear some of those pesky best times. As for the actual racing, turning off penalties and cutting the track makes this game ridiculously easy.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Generally speaking with sims you'll want to enter the corners slower and then hit the gas coming out. You want to try and hit the apex of the corner best you can to keep a good racing line and your speed up.

As others mentioned the corner cutting can help a ton, so be sure to check out those videos in the thread that lukey52 created:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/superstars-v8-racing/39097-corner-cutting-videos-get-you-through-legend-difficulty.html

• 1 month later...

last week I played monster jam, yah~ that really easy to get plt!

but this one... fuxx...

today I just wasting my time to play this shxx game, really pss me off, spent 8 hours and i only get pass 2 laps in training mode...

now i gonna download and see that corner cutting videos, if i still cannot get it right, this will be my last racing game!! fuxx.. :mad:

this is not easy game, really too hard for me!! if you are not good on racing game, then I suggest you must double thinking...really wanna buy this shxx or not...

maybe you are good on Rally or other racing, but im sure you are not 100% for this one... :mad:

now i already see that videos, but dosent help much.. still cant beat the training time...

Edited by mytoysjp