Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Tips, tricks, and help with gameplay and Mini-Games.

Originally posted by Psyonix-Adam, from the Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars forums and also a member on here. So all credit to him! :)

http://www.psyonix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=158&start=0

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Guide

This will be the guide to help you progress not only through the single player, but the multi-player as well. I will provide you with some general tips, and suggestions on how to improve your game play.

Kick offs

At the beginning of the game, or whenever a goal is scored, players will be spawned in at certain start locations. When playing with 2 or more players on a team, there's a good chance players will be spawned back-to-back in front of the goal. If you happen to be so lucky, there's a little trick you can do to get to the ball quicker than if you were to boost from the side spawns.

-If you spawn behind a player in front of the goal, you can boost forward and knock them directly towards the ball. Probably best to stay put in the box, for the other team may be doing the same strategy, and you'll want to be there to deflect the ball.

-If you happen to spawn in front of your teammate, you'll want to coast forward slowly, to give yourself forward momentum. From there you'll just want to wait for your teammate to bump you. Once the player bumps you, hold down forward to complete one full front-flip, once your car is straight, hold down the boost to give yourself even more speed to get you to the ball quicker. Just try to hit the ball as dead on as you can.

Quick Hand Brake

There's a cool little trick you can do with hand brake. Basically you can use hand brake while going fast and still maintain most if not all your speed. All you have to do is tap the Square button in (instead of holding it down) as well as push the left stick in the direction you wish to turn. It can be pretty tricky at first, definitely something I recommend learning.

Hitting the Ball

There's a few different ways you'll want to hit the ball according to how the ball is moving...

-If the ball is rolling towards you, the best way to make contact with it, is to jump a split second before you hit it. This will prevent you from over shooting the goal, it should either result in a quick line-drive or a roller, depending on how soon or how late you jump. Another good way you can go about hitting it, is to forward dodge into it. This is something you can practice in the Striker and Breakaway mini-games.

-If the ball is bouncing, there's a few ways you can approach it...

1. If it's bouncing in front of the goal, it's pretty self-explanatory, just jump up and knock it in :) there's no REAL way to explain it.

2. If the ball is bouncing high enough to the point where my single jump wont be able to reach it, you can then use your double-jump. It's also pretty self-explanatory, you just have to get your timing down.

3. Lastly, there's rocket-flying. Which I highly recommend the rocket-flying tutorial and mini-game (Airborne) to learn how to achieve this skill.

Defense

-The best place to be when playing defense, is in the keeper position.

-To play good defense, your job will consist of mostly clearing the ball.

-It's best to have full boost at all times, if you plan on blocking those higher shots.

-Learn the basics of rocket-flying to be able to save the high out of reach shots.

-Back-up into the goal as far as you can without actually going up the ramp. (To prepare for a shot on goal)

-If the ball is high in the air, and you see your opponents camped under it, punt them out of the way, or rocket-fly up and clear the ball.

-Let the ball come to you, unless no one is around the ball, in which case, boost at it and clear it out.

-Stay on guard of where your opponents are, for the may try and demolish you or punt you away, when you're not looking.

Offense

-The best way to play offense, is to play greedy. Regardless of who shot the ball, follow it up, you can never be to sure!

-Always have full boost. You'll never know when you need to zip in there, if a shot presents itself. Or if you need to rocket-fly up and hit the ball.

-Attack the ball as often as possible, try and get the ball into the center, to provide your teammates with an easy shot.

-Use the walls, there's all sorts of shots you can take with using the walls alone, and even the ceiling.

Ball-Cam

In case you hadn't already figured it out, there IS a camera that allows you to focus on the ball the entire time. We also have a toggleble version as well, to toggle just simply press and hold the triangle button. If you would like to have that on 100% of the time, you can go into you player settings and activate it.

That's about all the strategies I can think of, I'll probably add more in time to come!

Mini-Games

Scavenger: 5 Stars = 50

-Don't let up a whole lot when boosting.

-Use hand brake when necessary.

-Use the white arrow above your car, if you fail to locate a boost cannister on your own.

Striker: 5 Stars = 22

-Jump before hitting the ball, so you don't over-shoot it.

-On the final balls that are shot in the air, wait til' it's close to the ground, and get on top of it, so it bounces in.

-If you miss, restart. :) You have to score every shot.

-If it's rolling towards you, forward dodge into it, to make for a nice hard shot.

-The quicker you get the ball in the goal the better.

Powerslide: 5 Stars = 15

-Like I previously mentioned, you'll want to get down the quick hand brake skill.

-Gather boost along the way. If a Powerslide ring is surrounding a boost cannister, drive the extra distance and powerslide into the cannister.

-Conserve your boost, use forward dodge as often as you can.

Sweeper: 5 Stars = 16

-Back up into the goal to give yourself time block the shots.

-Notice the flames on the wicks of the cannons, to see where the next shot will be coming from.

-If one goes in, you'll want to restart if attempting to achieve a 5 star rating. You need to save them all in order to do so.

Combustible: 5 Stars = 20

-Basically just zoom around the level, always holding the boost button down, and mow down your enemies, but gather boost at the same time.

-It's best to approach your enemies from behind.

-Use the quick hand brake technique.

Multi-Ball: 5 Stars = 65

-There's one specific route you can take, to achieve this with no problem. I'll attempt to describe it!

All of that is pretty much done with out really even stopping.

Step 1: Drive forward and arch the center ball over the 2 balls rolling in front of it

Step 2: Immediately after hitting the center ball in, make a quick left and hit one of the rolling balls in.

Step 3: As quickly and swiftly as possible, knock the other rolling ball in.

Step 4: Turn around and drive towards the other goal, hit the ball on the right side off the blue wall (May take a few tries to calculate where you need to hit it off the wall in order for it to go in.

Step 5: Immediately after you hit that ball, turn to your left and finally hit the last ball in.

Volley: 5 Stars = 20

-You can actually complete this one with a good amount of time still left on the clock, so you don't REALLY need to rush.

-Sometimes balls will spawn right next to each other, when this happens, you can usually hit one ball into another. Which saves a lot of time.

-Conserve your boost, in the meantime, use forward dodge. No need to go out of your way to grab boost.

Stalkers: 5 Stars = 5

There is not REAL strategy (that we've found) to get 5 stars, the best way I've found is to do none-stop boosting on the walls, when you start to get low swoop down and grab another cannister.

-Don't hold boost down, use little bits at a time. You can only go so fast, so you'd be wasting boost if you're already going top speed.

-Use your swivel camera (right stick) to look around and locate your enemies.

-Use behind view (R3) to locate your enemies.

-Stalkers:My Method-

The easiest way to complete this mini-game is simply to move forward about 10m ingame, stay stationary and jump on the spot. The only time the CPU AI jumps is when the use the double tap forward flip skill. For these use double jump. Once there around 3 cars simply double jump everytime you hit the ground. This worsks since the CPU only drives around in a circular motion to hit you.

Unbalanced: 5 Stars = 7

-Play lots of defense, any chance you get, punt the ball down to the other end of the field, and take it from there.

-Center the ball to yourself by using the corners walls.

-Stay back on the kickoffs, if you spawn on the sides reverse back and grab the boost cannister. The AI will usually hit the ball right to you, making it easy for you to punt the ball to the other end of the field, and possibly even into the goal.

Breakaway: 5 Stars = 24

-It's actually okay to miss 1 (and only 1) shot.

-Take the same approach as you would when playing Striker.

Colorblind: 5 Stars = 19

-You've got to be pretty precise and quick in this mini-game. You've got a LITTLE bit of time line up your shots, but you need to be pretty swift at the same time.

-Dodge into the balls to get them in the goal quicker.

-If a blue ball is located on the red side, punt the ball to the blue side, and take care of any red ball on the red side. And vice versa.

Edited by Jellzy

...Cont.

Cubic: 5 Stars = 5

-This game has a great deal of luck involved, the best information I can give would be hit the crate in the goals general direction and prey for a lucky bounce! :D

Time Warp: 5 Stars = 6

-Play this like you would any other normal match, but use the slow motion to your advantage!

8 Ball: 5 Stars = 100

-There was no specific route I found that was any faster than another. :/

-Probably best to wait for the balls that are rolling, to center themselves, in the meantime, take care of the ones that are already centered. If none happen to be centered, take care of the ones furthest away from the goal.

Unfair: 5 Stars = 6

-The best strategy for this level is to push the ball along the outer wall, doing this well eventually center the ball directly in front of your opposing teams goal, giving you an easy shot.

Keeper: 5 Stars = 22

-Once again, take the same approach as you did with Sweeper.

-If you've learned rocket-flying, the best and safest way to save the long arched shots, is to rocket-fly into the air and hit them out of the way.

Domination: 5 Stars = 5

-Watch out for the bully!

-Play lots of defense in this one.

Territory: 5 Stars = 5

-This game focuses you to make half to full court shots, this is actually a good skill if you can manage to master it.

-Use the wall to make bank shots.

Sandstorm: 5 Stars = 5

-During the kickoff, you'll want to stay back, and let your opponent hit the ball, most of the time it'll dribble right to you, allowing you to punt it down field.

-Punting the ball down field is probably the best strategy for this mini-game. What the wind will do is, it'll carry the ball (usually) to the center of the level. So if you punt it to the left or right, it'll most likely end up in the center at some point.

-When taking shots from a distance, aim to the left and right of the goal, for the wind will carry the ball towards the center.

Airborne: 5 Stars = 38

-I highly recommend doing the rocket-flying tutorial before attempting this.

-This is another game where you can take a little more time. You can complete it with time to spare.

-Use the same approach as Volley.

All the Tournament mode game types all require the same mindset, and strategy. Defense! Further down the list of the tournament games it may require a little more defense than the others. I pretty much never went in for the kickoff, usually they'll knock the ball right to you, I'd just arch it over their defense, and score right then and there. If you can manage to do this, you should have no problem cruising through this with 5 stars. I will list the amount of goals needed to achieve 5 stars.

Easy: 5 stars = 8

Confronter: 5 stars = 8

Triple: 5 stars = 7

Pair: 5 stars = 7

Ringer: 5 stars = 7

Loaded: 5 stars = 7

Faceoff: 5 stars = 7

Triplet: 5 stars = 5

Duo: 5 stars = 5

Rival: 5 stars = 5

Trio: 5 stars = 5

Finale: 5 stars = 5

I hope this guide helps a little. Any questions or comments feel free to mention them. I may update this list as time goes in, as further strategic moves and styles may unfold.

Thanks!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

p.s. Make sure to visit the link provided and hang around the forums if you enjoy the game. Always nice to support the developers and help build a stronger community :D.

Edited by Jellzy

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, now that I took a break from this game for about a month and a half and I'm not :mad: at the game anymore, I'm going to take another crack at it w/ the all-star. Thanks for the tips Jellezy and Psyonix-Adam.:D

edited: Wow, I really can't believe how hard all star is for me , its really unbelievable :(

Edited by Dreadnought190

Well, now that I took a break from this game for about a month and a half and I'm not :mad: at the game anymore, I'm going to take another crack at it w/ the all-star. Thanks for the tips Jellezy and Psyonix-Adam.:D

edited: Wow, I really can't believe how hard all star is for me , its really unbelievable :(

Just keep at it m8! :whistle:

The best thing you can do is try and stick to one challenge @ a time (unless your pulling your hair out...) and try and and improve with every turn.

A few of the challenges are really tough though, and its probably in my top 3 of most difficult PSN game's too 100%. Heck I ain't got the 500 goals trophy yet, as some folk online are a pain in the ass.

Just keep at it m8! :whistle:

The best thing you can do is try and stick to one challenge @ a time (unless your pulling your hair out...) and try and and improve with every turn.

A few of the challenges are really tough though, and its probably in my top 3 of most difficult PSN game's too 100%. Heck I ain't got the 500 goals trophy yet, as some folk online are a pain in the ass.

Yeah that's what I was doing earlier. After I got pissed off from the stars, I just turned my PS3 off and watched some of my favorite shows and movies and then I just calmed down. Then I played some Pixlejunk Eden and got a few trophies (which are pretty tough btw) and came back here.

I got a big tip for anyone interested. Always remain calm and collected while doing the mini-games one at a time like Jellzy says and such, it is so much help that... well it's hard to explain but you know what I mean :p I'm going to take it little by little. Thanks for believing Jellzy.:D

edit: I got all the stars now a long time ago :) believe in yourself and it'll come eventually. don't stop tryin.

Edited by Dreadnought190

Yeah that's what I was doing earlier. After I got pissed off from the stars, I just turned my PS3 off and watched some of my favorite shows and movies and then I just calmed down...

...I got a big tip for anyone interested. Always remain calm and collected while doing the mini-games one at a time like Jellzy says and such, it is so much help that... well it's hard to explain but you know what I mean :p I'm going to take it little by little. Thanks for believing Jellzy.:D

Lol. Bril m8, anytime :D.

A couple of the l8r ones in the 3rd and 4th row's are a bitch though. Good Luck :dance:.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 years later...

I haven't played a game that angered me so much in a very long time, but the single player of this game was specifically created to irate players. There is no good reason why a developer would put all the odds against you IN EVERY SINGLE AI MATCH and STILL make you play your A+ game for the entire match. Often times, even your teammates will play against you. Time trials are fine, but anything with 3 or 4 players in the teams is hell.

I would assume this to be a decent fun game to play online, but the challenges and the tournaments are some of the most bullshit RNG garbage I've played in a long time (and I've done a large number of hard games throughout the years).

I regret having done the online for this game prior to the shutdown because I had the intention of having this and then Rocket League done, but while RL is a better game built upon this garbage, the trophy hunting experience on that game is also awful due to the changes to Free To Play in late 2020.

All in all, I wish I never started either of them, but there is no stopping now since I did. I'll get this done and never touch it again, this game is a disgrace.

Edited by yuri03042
added video