The "How to do this trial?" Topic

Liquidd1

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just need some advice on how to use normal kicks and punches within a match.

for example, i'm using Chun-Li right now. i started playing yesterday and did training against the CPU and then some trials. i did some more trials today (got all the way to #12 irrc) and then played arcade mode on the hardest difficulty. i beat Adon, Dhalsim (sp?) and Makoto. but all i was mainly doing was Chun-Li's special moves. and when i did normal hits i always do the 3-punch/kick ones and not the L/M/H ones.

i just needs some general tips on how to set opponents up with normal strikes, when i should use them and the best ways to chain them together.

also, when/how should i use focus attacks? i haven't used them at all so far.

sorry for sounding like a noob, but i am when it comes to fighting games.

i just need some advice on how to use normal kicks and punches within a match.

for example, i'm using Chun-Li right now. i started playing yesterday and did training against the CPU and then some trials. i did some more trials today (got all the way to #12 irrc) and then played arcade mode on the hardest difficulty. i beat Adon, Dhalsim (sp?) and Makoto. but all i was mainly doing was Chun-Li's special moves. and when i did normal hits i always do the 3-punch/kick ones and not the L/M/H ones.

i just needs some general tips on how to set opponents up with normal strikes, when i should use them and the best ways to chain them together.

Do some trials and learn some combos there. Most combos are usually just normal-normal(-normal)-special. Don't get too complex, no one uses the most complex trials. Normals without combos are generally used as pokes and anti-air. By pokes, I mean normal attacks that have long reach. Learning anti-air moves is important because when you play online, most people start their combos with jump-any kick.

also, when/how should i use focus attacks? i haven't used them at all so far.

Use it when you anticipate certain attacks, then release to stun the opponent. You will absord the attack, but you won't lose any health permanately. You can also use it to absord projectiles. When someone uses for example Hadoken, use focus attack and dash. That way you'll cancel the focus attack and you have absorded the attack. You could also trick people. When you've knocked someone down, go near them and charge a focus attack. They will most likely use an attack that will break your focus attack (Shoryken for example). So before they rise, dash cancel it and they'll miss their Shoryken or what ever move they are using and you can punish them. Pretty confusing, but I hope you got the idea. Because you're new, it could be hard to use it effectively yet, but you'll learn to use it over time.

Edited by dmdmdm

i understand what you're saying. i read about them in the manual so i know what their purpose is, i just didn't know when to use them.

My advice is to play online and get your ass kicked. Just see what other people are using, when to use focus attacks, what is effective etc. Oh, and focus attacks are also used in some combos, but these are very complex for beginners so you don't need to worry about that any time soon.

Edited by dmdmdm

Do some trials and learn some combos there. Most combos are usually just normal-normal(-normal)-special. Don't get too complex, no one uses the most complex trials. Normals without combos are generally used as pokes and anti-air. By pokes, I mean normal attacks that have long reach. Learning anti-air moves is important because when you play online, most people start their combos with jump-any kick.

i definitely need to brush up on my anti-air skills. i started arcade mode against Adon (hated him since i played SFA3), and he was flying all over the place. whenever i hit him out of the air it was usually because i got lucky.

just out of curiosity, why does no one use the complex trials? is it because they're too hard to effectively pull off within a normal match, or because there's more effective stuff to use?

and it's funny you mentioned starting a combo with a jump-kick, because that's what i do lol. is that a bad thing since you're saying most people do it? too predictable?

but thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it. right now i'm just practicing and doing trials. i want to become somewhat proficient in the game, so i know it's going to take a lot of work.

and it's funny you mentioned starting a combo with a jump-kick, because that's what i do lol. is that a bad thing since you're saying most people do it? too predictable?

There are only a few cases where you want to jump at someone. If you just jump without a specific reason, there's a good chance you'll get hit instead. When you jump, you surrender your ability to block and move for however long you're in the air. On the other hand, your opponent still has those options, plus whatever anti-air normals or specials they have. So before you jump, make sure you know why you want to.

Some situations where you might jump: After an untechable knockdown (ie., when you knock an opponent down and they cannot do a quick recovery---throws, sweeps, and some other moves do this), you can do a crossup and follow with a combo or a safe jump to bait out a reversal. Another opportunity is if they throw a fireball within range of your jump.

As for your anti-air options with Chun-Li, her standing HP is good. EX Spinning Bird Kick is also really good if you have the meter to burn.

and when i did normal hits i always do the 3-punch/kick ones and not the L/M/H ones.

3P/3K by themselves will just do HP/HK because of the input priority. You don't want to use those buttons too much because you'll just waste EX meter when doing specials. Chun-Li's cr.mp is a great poke with long range. Learn to love it! :)

Edited by chefhasteeth

i need some help on one of Chun-Li's trials. it's either 13 or 14. for the last part of the combo you have to transition from her projectile to her multi-kick super move. i have no idea how i can charge back long enough to pull the kick off as well. i can do everything up to and including the projectile in the combo, but i need advice on how to pull off the final move.

also, and this is asking a lot, but does anybody want to type something up about how to approach fighting against each character? such as "use anit-air attacks against this character" or "poke them when they do this," tips like that. or at least the really tough ones?

is there any sort of "street fighter for beginners" thing on the net that i could read so i could learn basics? i know going online and playing against others will help, but i want to be at least decent so i don't get flawlessed every time. it seems like the only thing i can do is solo special moves, crouching kicks and combos that begin with jump-in kicks. i suck stringing together combos that while standing, and my strikes are terrible. i just randomly throw shit out and hope it works. not button-mashing but any means, but it's not pretty.

i know practice makes perfect and i've been practicing in the trials every day since i got the game (and i also just practice random stuff during the trials), but i really suck at fighting games. and it doesn't help that i gotta get used to using an arcade stick, because the only other game i've used an arcade stick on was a 3D fighter, and using a stick with SSFIV feels completely different.

Edited by jthamind

jthamind: Check the Chun-Li matchup thread on shoryuken.com (http://shoryuken.com/f253/becoming-strongest-woman-world-chun-li-matchup-thread-244241/). It has strategies for most characters. Also check out the rest of the Chun-Li forum. If you want general tips and guides for playing fighting games, check the Newbie Saikyo Dojo forum there (http://shoryuken.com/f322/). Read through the topics stickied at the top and it should give you a lot of good information. :)

As for the the trial, Kikoken -> Super combos naturally. It only requires you to charge once. You want to do it like this:

charge back, forward + punch, back, forward + kick.

The Kikoken comes out after the punch (as expected), then the move is cancelled into the super.

how do i do focus cancels quick enough to get the next move in? i'm on Chun-Li's trial #18 and i can't cancel and dash forward quick enough to get the kicks off before they're blocked.

also, does this game have air throws?

you have to buffer the kicks. set one of the buttons to the 3 kicks. Then input H.kick>.H.kick>H.kick(Fast) then cancel it really fast by hiting m.kick,m.punch and then double tap forward really fast (so you can dash out of the focus) and then continue H.kick>H.kick at this point the ex kicks should come out and then just do the ultra. It takes 5 to 6 smash kick for the ex to come out so you have to do it fast.

Well, it seems like I've come to a complete stop at Ken's 22nd trial. I've tried to best of my ability to complete this trial, but I cannot perform the blindingly fast EX Hadoken -> Focus Cancel -> Guren Senpukyaku part. The issue is, since I use the analog stick of a regular PS3 controller as opposed to the D-Pad, I cannot dash and then input the Ultra fast enough. I dash with the D-pad, but it takes way too much time to move back down to the stick, and by the time I put in the combo, Dan blocks, regardless of how blindingly fast I do it. I've tried doing the part on just a solid D-pad, but I can't do it smoothly since I don't use the D-pad for anything else but dashing (I'm not going to take my time to learn it just for one character's trial). And dashing on the analog stick just feels way too funky and doesn't come out as fast as I need it do anyway

Wow, what a shocker. I've done all the notorious pain combos (all of Viper's, Fuerte's 24, Abel's 24, Ibuki's 24 just to name a few), but who would have guessed that KEN would be the one to make me give in =/

i switch sides sometimes depending what the trial is. for example, the Kikoshen (or w/e it's called).....if i'm on the left side, i can't do that shit for the life of me. i get it maybe one out of every 15-20 tries. if i'm on the right side, though, it only takes me a couple tries.

i'm hoping that's just me getting used to the arcade stick, though.