Trial Difficulty Rankings Via Tiers

I thought this topic would be helpful for people who wanna knock off trials in a specific order. If you're like me, you wanna start with the difficult ones and have a nice downward coast to completing all of them. Or maybe you have no desire to complete all of them but want at least one. There are various reasons this list might be helpful.

I'll be using a tier ranking guide, commonly used to rate characters in fighting games. The main reason for this is familiarity with tier structure and since trial difficulty can be open to some interpretation, I won't have a purely hierarchical structure from most difficult to least difficult.

God Tier will imply the absolute highest difficulty in completing trials. Bottom Tier will mean that trial is very easy relative to the other trials.

God Tier:

C. Viper

Cammy

Abel

El Fuerte

Top Tier:

Gen

Ryu

Ken

Ibuki

High Tier:

Zangief

Sakura

Fei Long

Vega (Claw)

Guile

Adon

Cody

Rufus

Mid Tier:

Sagat

Balrog (Boxer)

Dee Jay

Juri

Makoto

Seth

Chun Li

Gouken

Low Tier:

E. Honda

Dan

Akuma (Gouki)

Guy

Dudley

Rose

Bottom Tier:

Blanka

Bison (Dictator)

Dhalsim

T Hawk

Hakan

This list isn't finalized and definitely open to debate. It's not like I went through the characters' trials one by one and rated their difficulty. I'm doing this by memory. The ones that stuck out most are the easy and tough ones.

Edited by Kahalachan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I was wondering about adding to this topic is what is specifically difficult about each character's trials if you guys wanna brainstorm.

Some trials require extreme speed of execution. Cody's 24 is a good example where you have to focus cancel extremely fast.

Or very precise execution of moves. (My least favorite because I hate doing another move when I meant to do the move I'm supposed to in the trial) Viper's Hard Trials

Others require very precise timing. El Fuerte's 3 strong punches in a row would be an example.

And others require creative inputs. These would involve not doing standard move. Dee Jay's would be an example, where it's impossible to do Sobat Carnival after EX Air Slash, so you have to do EX Air Slash motion in the middle of doing Sobat Carnival.

So maybe it'd look something like this.

God Tier:

Gen

-timing requirement

High Tier:

Cody

-speed requirement

Mid Tier:

Dee Jay

-creative input requirement

What you guys think?

Edited by Kahalachan

I'm 95% done, so I'll try to post my opinion..

God Tier:

C. Viper (the whole thing's just insane)

Abel (last one just gave me a lot of trouble in sf4, but i tackled it here in 15 minutes. still, hard )

Ken

Top Tier:

Cammy

El Fuerte (because of trial 23, really. somehow i find 24th a lot easier.)

Gouken

Ibuki (last one)

Juri (last one, again)

High Tier:

E. Honda (some harder combos as well)

Guile (number 20 had me stalled for a few hours)

Adon (just because of those 1f links, grrr)

Mid Tier:

Dhalsim (this one became significantly harder since sf4, or it's just me)

Chun Li

Fei Long

Vega (Claw)

Ryu

Sagat

Balrog (Boxer)

Sakura

Cody (basically because of the last trial only)

Makoto (last one, again)

Zangief (link in the last trial is 1f now, so it's obviously harder than before)

Low Tier:

Seth

Gen (i don't understand why everyone's saying gen trials is hard. i did them in sf4 in about an hour, and in ssf4 in 15 mins)

Rufus

Dan

Akuma (Gouki)

Blanka (last one is a bit hard, keeping blanka from being bottom tier)

Bottom Tier:

Dudley

Dee Jay

Bison (Dictator)

Rose

Guy

Piece of Cake Tier:

T Hawk

Hakan

Edited by perfecti

are the last two really THAT easy? and i mean even the most average player can complete them

Relative to the rest of the trials, they're extremely easy. EX oil up with Hakan to make it easier. I think some might require Hakan to be oiled up.

The only tricky one with Hakan requires some timing. I don't remember which number. It's in the 20s. You have to do 2 Ex moves in a row then his Ultra. You charge the first EX, then the 2nd one is really quick and knocks them in the air, then the Ultra.

Ken trials is pretty much same as his sf4.. I guess I just hate shotos, so it was hard for me.

btw I'm kinda stuck on Sakura's 23 trial, so she might be not that low, or it's just my shotos again.

Edited by perfecti

I'm at 96,07% and this is my opinion:

God Tier:

C.Viper

Ken

Abel

El Fuerte

Top Tier:

Ibuki

Ryu

Cammy

Sakura

Rufus

High Tier:

Sagat

Fei Long

Dan (only #23 left)

Gouken

Gen (way easier than in sf4, but still hard)

Mid Tier:

Dhalsim (imo harder than in sf4 because of his last trial)

Makoto

Cody

Rose

Honda (canceling in HHS was really difficult for me)

Juri

Adon

Low Tier:

Gouki

Guy

Seth

Blanka (the last one was a bitch)

Guile

Chun Li

Zangief

Bottom Tier:

Boxer

Claw

DeeJay

Dudley

Dictator

Piece of Cake Tier:

T.Hawk

Hakan

/edit: traded Rufus with Sagat

Edited by ReSe2k

• 4 weeks later...

What kind of controllers do you recommend for these? I personally know I'm NEVER EVER going to get through all trials. I just want to get through one just fopr the trophy, best suggestion?

I use a D-Pad/analog. I've looked at youtube guides and almost all of them use those tourny sticks and shit I refuse to fork more than 10 bucks for.

doesn't really matter what you use to control with. the main problem is the crappy linking combos they intentionally use despite all the complaints last game they added the same crappy combos back.

I welcome the longevity and sense of satisfaction that the trial challenge provides, I really do, but I couldn't agree more.

El Fuerte's; Jumping HK, LP, LP, LP, LP, LK, Crouching MK does pitiful damage and it's all ~1 frame links. This makes it utterly worthless as a combo, because it's incredibly hard to pull off, and you could score more damage with a much simpler, easier string of hits. Adding a trial for this combo doesn't even teach people how to play El Fuerte effectively :(

It's clearly to me that CAPCOM couldn't decide if the Trials should actually help you learn the basic and advanced combos for the characters or they're just a challenge, to see if you can pull off combos that have no practical application but are hard and/or fun to do anyway.

So, in doubt, they went with both. Some are useful, some are fun, some are hard and some are annoying as hell (like Adon's 24th).

It's clearly to me that CAPCOM couldn't decide if the Trials should actually help you learn the basic and advanced combos for the characters or they're just a challenge, to see if you can pull off combos that have no practical application but are hard and/or fun to do anyway.

So, in doubt, they went with both. Some are useful, some are fun, some are hard and some are annoying as hell (like Adon's 24th).

Its obvious that the harder challenges will be rarely used in kombat (just think about Cvipers and Ibukis useless high jump in middle of a combo challenge), as most dont maximise the dammage and are more focussed towards difficulty in completing them.

But the challenges can give you some nice ideas about setting up some comboqs for specific characters.

As for the trials, I'm 99% completion right now and only 5 trials are left, but I'm having a tough time completing them:

Honda Trail 21

El Fuerte trial 24

Abel Trial 24

Zangief Trial 24

Adon Trial 24

Its obvious that the harder challenges will be rarely used in kombat (just think about Cvipers and Ibukis useless high jump in middle of a combo challenge), as most dont maximise the dammage and are more focussed towards difficulty in completing them.

But the challenges can give you some nice ideas about setting up some comboqs for specific characters.

You're quite wrong about HJC (High Jump Cancel) in Viper's combo. It's very useful.

First it's the only way you can combo her Ultra after a normal and second you can hit confirm it on a combo that started with a low kick.

I've seen people using it in champioships as well.

As for the trials, I'm 99% completion right now and only 5 trials are left, but I'm having a tough time completing them:

Honda Trail 21

El Fuerte trial 24

Abel Trial 24

Zangief Trial 24

Adon Trial 24

Here's how I did them:

- Honda, I'm not ashamed to admit that it was one of the few Trials that I used turbo to complete. Even with turbo it was hard. A friend of mine (who also platinum'ed the game) did the legit way, it took him over 2 hours STRAIGHT.

- El Fuerte it's not that hard if you get the timing for the combo. Since I did it on SFIV, doing it again on Super wasn't too hard

- For Abel you just have to "split" the combo in parts and practice them. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it

- Zangief, this one was a bitch on SFIV and it's still a bitch here. The best advice I can give you is "Trial and Error", keep doing it until it comes out.

- Adon, one of the worst Trials in Super. It took me more than 2 hours over a couple of days (around 40min at each sitting) trying it. I have no advice except keep trying it. Also, try to ALWAYS finish the combo, even if Dan blocks it. That way you won't be caught by surprise when the c.MP works.

Edited by atirador

Make sure not to use the 'Go to next trial' feature in this game unless you can remember to back out.

I did all of Dans trials but the last and tried it about 30 times. Then I got a call from a friend and shut off ps3. Now I have to do them all over again. Why add this feature if it doesn't save after completing the trial? What a waste of my time.

Here's how I did them:

- Honda, I'm not ashamed to admit that it was one of the few Trials that I used turbo to complete. Even with turbo it was hard. A friend of mine (who also platinum'ed the game) did the legit way, it took him over 2 hours STRAIGHT.

- El Fuerte it's not that hard if you get the timing for the combo. Since I did it on SFIV, doing it again on Super wasn't too hard

- For Abel you just have to "split" the combo in parts and practice them. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it

- Zangief, this one was a bitch on SFIV and it's still a bitch here. The best advice I can give you is "Trial and Error", keep doing it until it comes out.

- Adon, one of the worst Trials in Super. It took me more than 2 hours over a couple of days (around 40min at each sitting) trying it. I have no advice except keep trying it. Also, try to ALWAYS finish the combo, even if Dan blocks it. That way you won't be caught by surprise when the c.MP works.

Thx for the tips and I will have another go at them this weekend.

The most difficult part, at least for me, is still building up the combos like the ones from zangief and Honda, as I find it very hard figuring out the timing to connect those 100% of the time.