combo timing? WTF?

Diago

Guys can any of you excplain to me in detail how to pull off combos? i cant even perform a simple 3 hit combo, its rather annoying. i try the 3 hit combo with ryu, its a down punch, down punch and then the leg sweep which is down circle. i read online about linkin or something? :confused:

• 1 month later...

You could write a 1,000 page book on all the details necessary to perform effective combos, but here are the basics...

SFIV (and most fighting games) run at 60 frames per second. That is, every second of gameplay consists of 60 different animation frames. It is important to know this so you can get a feel for when you should be pressing buttons. You'll understand it more with some practice.

There are two basic methods for performing combos: "links" & "chains". A link is when a button is pressed (say, Ryu's crouching strong) and the animation is allowed to finish before the next one is pressed. The next button press must occur on the exact frame that Ryu returns to his neutral position in order for the two moves to combo. If you press the second button one frame (1/60th of a second) too early, the 2nd move won't happen. If you press it too late, your opponent can block it. It has to be exact. Yeah, 1/60th of a second. You'll learn to read the animations on screen with practice and develop the muscle memory over time. Lots of time...

A "chain" is when a button is pressed and the second move can be started during the final frames of the first animation. Using Ryu's jab, you can use his strong punch before the jab animation ends and it will combo. Practice will help you figure out when to hit each button. Not every move can be linked just as not every move can be chained. It's up to you to spend time in practice to figure out which moves are links & which are chains.

It's also important to only press the one button, one time. Mashing makes combos impossible. There is an advanced technique called "plinking" that can help with timing, but I'm not sure it's possible with a regular controller. Realistically, if you're serious about playing fighters you'd probably want to look into using a joystick...

As MBiggs stated, practice makes perfect. A lot of practice. Then some more. Then you go to a tournament & realize that your TV has lag that has caused you to learn everything a little off-time... High level fighting shuts casual players out. If you're having fun with it, you'll spend the time getting better because, well, you're having fun. Yes?

There are a ton of resources online to help you get better. Check out Shoryuken.com, Eventhubs.com and YouTube. VesperArcade's YT channel has an excellent series of tutorials for several different games.

Edited by Razorhoof78

• 6 months later...