A new tip for Late Boomer?

homerjnick

Ok,

I am a latecomer to SSHD as I am just going through it now to get 100%.

I got Late Boomer today after several attempts...(no kidding huh)

Lots of good tips here but the strategy of bombing 2 ships at once at the start seemed very inconsistent for me so I gave up on that.

I think what another user on another thread was trying to say (joe250) is to use the pause button.

I have not seen this mentioned anywhere and my method was to bomb 5 ships to get 10 bombs but naturally it costs me 5 bombs to do.

Once I got to 13 bombs the key to survival is to use the pause button. I would make small movements and pause, make another movement noting where rocks/mines/triangles/green rocks etc were heading and then pause, you literally pause every second calculating your next move and never leave the game playing for more than a second.

This makes it very easy to survive long enough because if you do it my way and bomb 5 ships you need to last 5 mins+...something that is very hard to do normally...

So my strategy was:

1) Bomb the first ship straight away then head up to the northern petal and hide in there.

2) Wait till the rocks circle and avoid, do the same again for the next wave of rocks and then when the third wave comes along with the mines stay in the petal until all the mines in front of you are destroyed and at full speed go forward.

3) As soon as you go pass the next wave circle of rocks stop..find the big red circle that denotes the big rock is landing..it should be near by...then wait and avoid the rocks because the second ship always lands near this big rock...

4) Bomb the second ship and head north hiding inside a petal again.

5) The next circle wave is rocks and mines again so whilst hiding make sure the mines abiove you get destroyed and head up fast...this will help you to avoid the big circle of mines that comes down.

6) You should now be at the back end of the planet, away from the gravity sucking hole in the planet and out of the big blue circle of mines with little rocks floating around and you have 12 bombs...

7) Simply sit here and pause, move a little, pause, move a little etc and from here the stratgey is to simply keep pausing and moving till another 3 ships appear...

8) You may think this is unwise because of the 2 waves of rocks circle you cbut you an avoid them using the pause technique and then when the 3rd wave comes with the mines the mines actually all get destroyed since there are so many rocks near you clearing a nice big path for you to sit and wait for a ship...

Now naturally you won't do this first time but using this method I regularly had 13 and 14 bombs since the first two are easily guarenteed...

Late Boomer doesn't need to be that hard if you use this technique or others...as I said using one bomb to blow up the first 2 ships was like 1 out of 50 for me..

I never used the pause button mostly because my thumb isn't fast for the pause button and I felt if I did that, something might happen to the button and it'l probably get ripped off. So, I did this task without it, but glad to see it helps others though, good strategy ;) What I did (when I got lucky after 238 tries, lol:p) I just let the explosive seeker mines blow up the bomb ships and got 3 bombs. Then this barrier trapped me me in, then the ship came to get me out I think and the seeker mines came and blew up another ship, got my (S) :D I think that's how it happened, can't remember exactly, but it was definitely along those lines.;)

Edited by Dreadnought190

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally got it last night! I used the Pause Slo-mo method as well. It still took me about two hours though. There is a mixture of luck and skill and pattern learning involved. It is a hard trophy cause you are doing something that you don't do in the rest of the game kind of a puzzle.

I would go the opposite direction of the starting ship and camped out in the U-shaped area of the barrier. I waited for the ship to come back and when the 2nd ship spawns nearby (which doesn't always happen) I detonate them both. Sometimes I wait for them to travel and intersect, just depends on their facing.

Then I just managed to survive for 2 more ships, I couldn't believe I did it.

Also, keep an eye out for shields, they do spawn every so often!

(I know the TC wasn't asking for help but I figured Id toss that in there)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I will give this a try. It sounds like a great idea. Any tip for destroying the nukes?

Shock & Awe was harder for me than Late Boomer...you just have to get lucky on the wave of each Nuke, if you get the dreaded red triangles your finished!

I got lots of easy waves when I blew up 10 Nukes...best tip is to blow up the Nuke as fast as possible...

OMG!

I just got Late Boomer by using just ONE bomb!

Ridiculous luck, obviously, but that makes it 1/338 attempts successful. I used the pause method* to navigate. Don't be afraid!

Basically I used one bomb to blow up the first two ships when they met each other (obviously I let the first one run around), giving me a bomb count of 10 - 1 + 4 = 13. By the time the next ship rolled around, it clashed with mines and rocks nearby, giving me the next 2 for free! :dance:

I'd say the hardest part of this challenge actually is using a bomb to blow up the ship, ironically. I don't know if it's just me but I hate it when a bomb doesn't do its job and you basically waste one. So many times have I had one bomb used to blow up 2 ships right next to each other, only for them to escape completely unharmed. No consistency whatsoever with regard to range or room, etc.

*My winning strategy was a variation of other methods, but I waited for 2 ships instead of going one by one. Many reasons for doing so. For example, you spend a lot of the time waiting for the 2nd ship doing nothing... so why not let the first ship run around for a chance to get a 2-in-1? Also, ships can be blown up by mines (as I've mentioned), which gives you a chance to again save a bomb. And finally, when it gets more crowded, ships clear the way, and you can use them as shields. I've been stuck inside the circle of death many times only to have a ship cruise by and make a path for me to leave.

Also, I don't think mines can blow up the ship on their own. I think they have to clash with nearby rocks or other obstacles, and the bigger explosions are just close enough to take out the bomb containers. I've seen mines right next to the ship and it not blow up...

Edited by II_C_E_M_A_N

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got the late boomer trophy tonight, and this pause method really helps a lot. I was very lucky that the red mines blow one of the ship and gave me two free bombs. So, all of a sudden, I got 14 bombs and just being patient and bomb the last ship and make it to 15 bombs. I only tried for about 20~30 times. This method is awesome.

Wow I wish I knew about this Pause Method when I went for the 100% awhile back lol. I spent 4 hours on that one trophy doing it over and over again. Finally got it, but damn... It felt like the last Challenge in Vanquish a bit, the need of absolute mastery of the level/challenge. Lol

Good tip though, very good idea.

• 1 year later...

Wow it feels good to finally never have to play this mode again.

For me, the pause method was instrumental in getting this trophy. I had to combine a lot of techniques to get it, and it took a lot of practice just to play in a pause-move-pause way. I found it was much easier to travel east or west than north or south, since left and right don't affect the pause menu.

Lots of times I got up to 13 and floated in a circle of wall until a ship came along. Several times I could see the last couple bombs right as I died. Took about three hours to get, but worth it.

• 1 year later...

THANK YOU VERY FUCKING MUCH.

Sorry for saying the F word, but I need it to express my gratitude to whoever posted the pause tip. That tip was posted somewhere on 2010 and only now I tryed to get this Late Boomer.

I had sprained my ankle two weeks ago and all I did up until now was playing videogames. Today, I though to myself: Why not play some super stardust for old times sake? It's been years since last time I played it.

Then, I've started to play on arcade mode, just to get warmed up. I went to bomber mode and had no chance whatsoever to get those 15 bombs.

After reading that pause trick, I've gave it a chance and on my first try, I got those freaking 15 bombs total. So happy!

Again, thank you, owner of this topic, for sharing this tip. It DOES work if you're careful and not desperate. The best part is that you don't have to follow the strategy from the first post. I did it on my own way. I've failed to destroy a ship with one of my bombs and had to endure it until next ship arrived.

I hope everyone will at least, read this topic before trying the Late Bomber trophy.

Edited by Brown Light

• 2 months later...

Finally unlocked Late Boomer and boy can i say what a relief, after trying for 5 years (my last trophy unlocked on Super Stardust HD was in 2009) and after 887 attempts i don't have to play Bomber mode ever again.

Now just Shock & Awe remains.

• 8 years later...

For those who might be wondering, 13 years later and this method still works - it took me around 10 tries using this pause method (though, at least on my run, I kind of skipped Step 5) and I got right to the other side of the planet as soon as I could... and I also got a bit lucky getting two ships to get near each other).