Tips for Shock and Awe?

QuantumMercury

I've gotten up to 14 million score I don't even know how many Nukes that is but I don't think I've gotten past 6 or 7.

Edit: Just for those wondering this actually was easier if you went for the Nuke ASAP when it landed and not dick around for powerups and stuff.

Edited by QuantumMercury

The longer you take per wave, the harder the game becomes. The difficulty ramps up every X seconds, so taking down the nuke as fast as possible is the name of the game. (Of course, I haven't gotten it either, so take what I say with a grain of salt) The nuke is supposed to come down after a certain amount of destruction (I don't know if that's the initial wave after a nuke that's supposed to be destroyed or just a cumulative amount of everything after a nuke). So I guess we're supposed to have a rough memory of how much to destroy, do it, then run around looking for the nuke while destroying as much as possible on the run? It seems to work for me on the first wave anyway - wait until I've killed some stuff in the 2nd wave of rocks (at the start of the game) and then look for the nuke. I had a pretty good run where by sheer luck it seemed the nuke always landed near me or I just happened to run into it fairly quickly. The waves seemed easier and I got way more nukes than my other runs.

I find this harder than Late Boomer - and it seems to require more luck too (choice of waves, finding the nuke quickly). It's just not my style as I prefer to sit in one place as long as possible to clear things out.

Oh, and I REALLY hate the triangle things. Here's some I've been reading:

Some short tips from what I did. 94 tries (maybe 20+ tries after I decided to read some tips from others).

- Condition yourself, relax and focus.

- Remove BGM, leave SFX

- DON'T COUNT the number of nukes you exploded. It's a distraction, play naturally. Just wait for the trophy to pop out. It lessens frustration too.

- Use bombs wisely. Some people have the mentality to save up to 10-20 bombs on nukes 7-10 but I didn't. I just use it WHEN needed and WHEN it'll hit soooo many targets. It's dumb not to use it just to save those bombs. I got the trophy without using much bombs on nukes 7-10 (I have 13 left then just use it all the way after I got the trophy then suicide, maybe just lucky dodging those attacks).

- Use rock breaker (green) for red triangles. There's a wave where all you will see are red triangles only trying to drop at you and follow you. Here's what you need to do. JUST move FORWARD and shoot at front to clear your path. Use boost forward always just to make sure they can't catch up with you. DON'T PANIC, try it for yourself to believe. I never used bombs on that wave, (where a newbie might initially bomb them all the way and panic).

- After nuke 1, kill all waves coming immediately so the nuke will come down early and lessen the acceleration (where all things will move faster as the time passes by). Just boost through for faster explosion.

- My favorite weapon is ice breaker (when the space is not too tight) because of its long range and speed specially when at 200%, making me able to look at my ship while spinning R analog. I use it for the annoying blue and red mines, also for the flying saucers.

- Use gold melter and spin 360 faster when in trouble (very tight) just to clear up some space and switch to an efficient weapon immediately when it's quite clear.

Well, I think that's all for now.

Good luck and see you at the 100% line!

Edited by Stork77

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just did this yesterday and had literally no trouble at all. My first few times I struggled to get past 2 nukes but then I just had a good run and got it in maybe 20 minutes? The red things pretty much screw you over but I found if you can survive long enough for the 7 minute trophy you will have 5 spare lives and I pretty much always had close to 15 bombs so don't be afraid to use them. Once you get going it gets easier because you have so many lives and bombs at your disposal. Maybe I just got lucky, oh and also make sure you fully upgrade the gold melter as quick as possible, wait for the other upgrades to change into Gold melters.

• 1 month later...
The longer you take per wave, the harder the game becomes. The difficulty ramps up every X seconds, so taking down the nuke as fast as possible is the name of the game. (Of course, I haven't gotten it either, so take what I say with a grain of salt) The nuke is supposed to come down after a certain amount of destruction (I don't know if that's the initial wave after a nuke that's supposed to be destroyed or just a cumulative amount of everything after a nuke). So I guess we're supposed to have a rough memory of how much to destroy, do it, then run around looking for the nuke while destroying as much as possible on the run? It seems to work for me on the first wave anyway - wait until I've killed some stuff in the 2nd wave of rocks (at the start of the game) and then look for the nuke. I had a pretty good run where by sheer luck it seemed the nuke always landed near me or I just happened to run into it fairly quickly. The waves seemed easier and I got way more nukes than my other runs.

I find this harder than Late Boomer - and it seems to require more luck too (choice of waves, finding the nuke quickly). It's just not my style as I prefer to sit in one place as long as possible to clear things out.

Oh, and I REALLY hate the triangle things. Here's some I've been reading:

However, this really works.

Normally when I tried to get this trophy, I normally would wait until I got all of the bomb ships that would show up in any one level - but after three or four nukes the difficulty became impossibly high, and I usually died either before or right after the fifth nuke.

However, when I got the trophy, I tried to do away with as many enemies and as much debris as possible and lurked among the debris for the nuke dropping - and as soon as I saw it, I took it out.

At some time into the attempt, I also would use the bombs I had collected before (24!) to clear out the area, thereby also destroying some more nukes - and PLING! Suddenly the trophy unlocked.

Although I normally would become frustrated with this (I hadn't touched this game for quite some time until now), these tips helped make this easy as pie.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I am having trouble with this trophy as well. I have not survived 7 minutes without dying yet, either. This mode just throws so much at you that you will die eventually. I find that once I die, I am going to die again more quickly. The worst waves are the red triangles, the meteor storm, and the black mines. If I die because of the triangles, I end up using so many bombs. This is way trickier than Late Boomer.

I can say that the worst nukes are the second and third, no matter the wave. It takes forever for them to show up. I do not know what my record is, but I know it is under 10 since I do not have the trophy. The later nukes show up more quickly, but the game is much faster and consequently difficult.

Edit: I got this today. I found it to be more luck than skill. I got waves with mostly enemies, so once I killed the enemies, the nuke came quickly. I didn't get many waves with tons of little asteroids, and I only got one wave with the red triangles. I hit 18 million score when Shock and Awe popped.

Edited by a3069namebke

• 2 months later...

Another 5+ attempts and bugger all to show for it.

I know the waves are supposed to be entirely random but ive noticed as soon as i get a good game going such as having 4 lives, a shield and maxed out weapons 7 nukes in i get endless amounts of those red snake things and fail within 30 seconds.