Late Boomer trophy - a repeatable method

Mr Matt

It's been a while since I got this trophy but I will try to explain how to do. It is virtually impossible to do it every time but there is a method.

I don't have the game in front of me right now so this is all off the top of my head. It took me over 600 (yes, six hundred) attempts to get the 15 bombs so I can remember everything quite well. I would also like to point out that after I figured out the way to do it, it only took me like 20 goes to pull it off.

OK, first off the level is NOT random. The 2 waves of meteors and the wave of bombs will always fall where you are. You need a lot of luck because the nature of the level is hard but everything is generated based on where you are on the planet. So first you need to learn the patterns and timings of the waves.

The only thing that is random is the direction of the circled border of rocks that is generated at the very beginning. Also, every time the first bomber heads out of the circle, around the planet and back into the circle again. EVERY TIME. By the time the first bomber has made the journey back into the circle it is time for the second bomber to fall into play. This is also the same every time.

Also, you will see that gravity pulls the meteors towards your original spawn point, i.e. the position you were at when the level first started. This means that if you are on this point all of the meteors will attract that towards you. If you are on the opposite side of the planet all of the meteors will pull away from you, again towards that original point.

So,

1. Random circled border of rocks at the beginning. 1st Bomber does a lap back into this circle just in time for the 2nd bomber to fall.

2. Everything falls where you are

3. Gravity pulls towards your initial position

This is what you do:

1. When the border starts to draw at the beginning it makes one large flower shaped circle. Fly so you are just outside the circle on the border. Wait for the first two waves of meteors. Half of them will not attract to you, the other half need to be avoided as they all pull towards your initial position.

2. Watch which way the bomber goes.

3. Wait for the 3rd wave to start (mines) and fly in the direction of the bomber away from the circled border around the planet so you reach the opposite side of the circle. Do NOT follow the bomber in case one of the mines accidentally destroys it. The bomber will have travelled around the planet and be back inside the circle.

4. Fly inside the circle, and get in front of the bomber. The 2nd bomber will fall into this vicinity. This is where you need some luck. You need to destroy both bombers and all 4 barrels holding the power-ups with one of your bombs. If you just destroy the bombers and any barrels remain this is good enough as they will be destroyed by mines later. Collect whatever power-ups are available and fly back outside the circle to the opposite side of the planet to your original spawn point.

5. When you are at the right point of the planet let the blue rock border encircle you, this will protect you from the next few waves of mines and meteors. Keep in this position for as long as possible. Any passing bombers will be blown up by the mines and power-ups will float over to you. Don't use any of your bombs in this position unless you have 14 and there is a new bomber that can give definitely reward you with 2 bombs if you blow it up.

The hardest part of all this is staying alive inside the blue rock border as some meteors get trapped in with you and have to be avoided. You can hit pause to slow the action down and see where to go but then you are no better than this cheap bastard of a trophy!

Having a method which I could repeat every time is the only way I could get this trophy. Relying on luck is not the way to go and it shows as some members have been talking about struggling with this for months. Learn the waves and how the level is put together and you can eventually figure out a way to beat it.

And good luck. This is an absolute bastard of a trophy and I was relieved more than overjoyed to get it!

What's funny is that when I was originally trying to get this trophy, I was using every strategy out there: following certain routes, waiting until 2 bomb ships cross each other to take them out with a single bomb, etc. Then one day after taking a few months off of trying I decided to just try playing normal without any set strategy. After clearing 2 bomb ships, I was suddenly bombarded with a bunch of green rocks. I blew them open and inside was a shield powerup :dance:

I proceeded to play like normal and ended up getting my 15. What's funny is that I never lost my shield while doing so. It was more of a psychological win than anything. I think having the shield made me more comfortable to make riskier moves that would normally cause me to choke up and make a mistake. So playing more aggressively helped me to survive long enough to earn the trophy and having the shield helped me to do so.

Interesting how things work out like that sometimes.

Yeah I know what you mean. By going the random method I only got 14 bombs once (and the 15th was in sight but impossible to get), but that was just pure luck. I think I got a shield twice in 600 tries but blew each of them soon after.

By doing what I explained above I reckon can get 13 bombs 80% of the time, and usually the 14th after that as long as I can get into the blue rock circles and frantically dodge the first few waves of meteors. You still need luck for a bomber to be passing you by at this point AND for him to get destroyed by some mines, but I much prefer a repeatable method that I can try again and again rather than to just mix it up and hope for the best.

Edited by Mr Matt

• 1 month later...

I tried doing that and it just doesn't work out at all.

First of all - why would you not want the mines to destroy the first bomber? That would be perfect - I see absolutely no advantage in using a bomb to destroy it along with the second one when you can just let the mines do the work.

And then why this method doesn't work for me: The second bomber almost never gets near the first one. About 10% of the time it does in fact but the other times it's just miles away and only when the third one appears two get near each other.

To me this seems VERY random.

Ok, I've barely started playing this game, but did anyone else have the trophy glitch on them? I got up to 20 bombs in one play through pretty early on according to the counter on the screen (at least what I thought was a counter for it). And it only gave me the trophy for having 10 bombs? Anyone else experience this?

• 2 months later...
I tried doing that and it just doesn't work out at all.

First of all - why would you not want the mines to destroy the first bomber? That would be perfect - I see absolutely no advantage in using a bomb to destroy it along with the second one when you can just let the mines do the work.

And then why this method doesn't work for me: The second bomber almost never gets near the first one. About 10% of the time it does in fact but the other times it's just miles away and only when the third one appears two get near each other.

To me this seems VERY random.

Did you get this trophy yet??

You don't want the mines to hit the Bombers because most of the time they are not powerful enough to destroy it and instead they just push the barrels containing the bombs further back into the bomb rack, so later when you detonate your own bomb the Bomber does not release both barrels/bombs.

Using the method I explained above I can always get the second bomber to land within the original circled border, you just have to be in the right place at the time of it's appearance. Whether or not it is in an ideal location to explode both Bombers with one of your bombs does come down to a bit of luck.

• 1 month later...

This is entirely luck-based. My definition of luck-based is that someone cannot do this five times in a row with skill. I almost got lucky once... bombed the first two but only exploded three of the barrels, then the wall landed on the third one exploding it automatically. If the first two only gave me all of them...

I hate luck-based trophies. What exactly is the achievement in it? Hey look I got lucky here (which I have not yet). These luck based piles of garbage as well as the online ones should be banned!

• 1 month later...

4. Fly inside the circle, and get in front of the bomber. The 2nd bomber will fall into this vicinity. This is where you need some luck. You need to destroy both bombers and all 4 barrels holding the power-ups with one of your bombs. If you just destroy the bombers and any barrels remain this is good enough as they will be destroyed by mines later. Collect whatever power-ups are available and fly back outside the circle to the opposite side of the planet to your original spawn point.

I call bullsh*t. I've been trying this method for hours now, and it's EXTREMELY rare that the 2nd bomber spawns close enough, or passes by the other. I've even tried it the opposite way, where I followed the bomber in. As often as not, I don't even see the 2nd bomber, let alone have them close enough to pass (it does spawn, just too far away and heads in the opposite direction). I don't see how you can call this repeatable.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting... I got this within 20 minutes of my first attempt with no real strategy or frustration. Once I learned that bombers drop bombs and I needed 15 of them in my inventory, I just followed them around avoiding everything else until I could blow them up and collect the bombs. Lucky, I guess!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What's funny is that when I was originally trying to get this trophy, I was using every strategy out there: following certain routes, waiting until 2 bomb ships cross each other to take them out with a single bomb, etc. Then one day after taking a few months off of trying I decided to just try playing normal without any set strategy. After clearing 2 bomb ships, I was suddenly bombarded with a bunch of green rocks. I blew them open and inside was a shield powerup :dance:

I proceeded to play like normal and ended up getting my 15. What's funny is that I never lost my shield while doing so. It was more of a psychological win than anything. I think having the shield made me more comfortable to make riskier moves that would normally cause me to choke up and make a mistake. So playing more aggressively helped me to survive long enough to earn the trophy and having the shield helped me to do so.

Interesting how things work out like that sometimes.

That actually makes a lot of sense. With everyone out there saying this is one of the hardest trophies ever, it's easy to just give up and burn. It honestly doesn't look that hard, but then again, I haven't tried it yet. :p

• 1 month later...

Gnarf! I thought Arcade Perfect on Wipeout HD was tough - but this is ludicrous!

I have tried for some time now, attempting to apply the method mentioned in this thread (with marginal success, though) and actually managed to grab four bombs once (bringing me to 13), but then got shredded a few seconds afterward.

The other times I have been met with complete failure (I get shredded by the first wave of mines or run into an obstacle) or the second ship drops where I need it least (since I don't manage to get in front of the first bomber far too often).

Anyone have a vid tutorial for this? Somehow I tend to botch this whole thing up - with the result mentioned above. :(

EDIT: I absolutely HATE it if trophies are based on 90% luck and only 10% skill! That's no achievement - that's an extremely bad joke!

Edited by Thianis

• 1 month later...

Hey Wooty,

Are you sure you're playing in the Bomber mode and not Infinite mode?

Anyway, i got mine a few days ago. This is how i did it (i thought i share this). I merge different methods into one after an indepth analysis.

As you know the first ship appears in the blue flower and goes out of it in a random direction. It then does a full lap of the planet and returns into the blue flower. There's a first batch of rocks falling down in circle and then a second. The third batch comes along with mines which are attracted to you.

What i did is when the ship leaves the flower, line up with it and go the opposite direction and stop in the "petal". Staying in the petal will protect you from the mines and the rocks. Just stay there by dodging the few rocks entering the petal until the ship comes back. The mines will blow up the petal rocks as you're basically surrounded by static rocks. 1 time out of 10, the mines will also blew up the ship.

When the ship enters the flower again, follow it. A huge rock will appear followed by the second ship. if you stay close to the first ship the second ship will appear next to you. Blow them up together when they are as close to you as possible. Sometimes your bomb doesn't even destroy the canisters if you're not close enough.

The next step is to find a place with less stuff, especially without any static rocks. Try to stay there so that you got surrounded by a blue ring of rocks. (of course be careful for the mines coming at you every thrid group of meteors). Stay at the border of the blue ring so that only half the rocks enter the circle. Keep dodging until the third ship lands next to you and blow it up.

The last step is similar, go somewhere else with another spot without any static crap. This time a little flower should surround you. Basically you will be trapped with not much space left to move. Stay in there because you'll be protected against the mines and rocks (especially if you stay in the middle because everything will land outside the little flower). Now the fourth ship should be landing next to you or in the blue rocks. That is your chance to blow it up and get your 15 bombs.

Honestly it took me some tries just the optimize the method. But of course luck and concentration are part of the deal.

I advise you to try this in the morning after your breakfast and not in the evening. Your brain is much more focused in the morning which will result in more concentration and better control of your moves.

I hope this will help you getting this annoying trophy.

Zaldred

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Hey Wooty,

Anyway, i got mine a few days ago. This is how i did it (i thought i share this). I merge different methods into one after an indepth analysis.

As you know the first ship appears in the blue flower and goes out of it in a random direction. It then does a full lap of the planet and returns into the blue flower. There's a first batch of rocks falling down in circle and then a second. The third batch comes along with mines which are attracted to you.

What i did is when the ship leaves the flower, line up with it and go the opposite direction and stop in the "petal". Staying in the petal will protect you from the mines and the rocks. Just stay there by dodging the few rocks entering the petal until the ship comes back. The mines will blow up the petal rocks as you're basically surrounded by static rocks. 1 time out of 10, the mines will also blew up the ship.

When the ship enters the flower again, follow it. A huge rock will appear followed by the second ship. if you stay close to the first ship the second ship will appear next to you. Blow them up together when they are as close to you as possible. Sometimes your bomb doesn't even destroy the canisters if you're not close enough.

The next step is to find a place with less stuff, especially without any static rocks. Try to stay there so that you got surrounded by a blue ring of rocks. (of course be careful for the mines coming at you every thrid group of meteors). Stay at the border of the blue ring so that only half the rocks enter the circle. Keep dodging until the third ship lands next to you and blow it up.

The last step is similar, go somewhere else with another spot without any static crap. This time a little flower should surround you. Basically you will be trapped with not much space left to move. Stay in there because you'll be protected against the mines and rocks (especially if you stay in the middle because everything will land outside the little flower). Now the fourth ship should be landing next to you or in the blue rocks. That is your chance to blow it up and get your 15 bombs.

Honestly it took me some tries just the optimize the method. But of course luck and concentration are part of the deal.

I advise you to try this in the morning after your breakfast and not in the evening. Your brain is much more focused in the morning which will result in more concentration and better control of your moves.

Zaldred

I tried for an hour yesterday to get this trophy with no luck... tried this method and got it within 10 mins. Thank you!

• 2 years later...
Hey Wooty,

Zaldred

Thanks for sharing this. After about 50 attempts with the other strategy, I tried your way and got it in about 10 attempts. I was also pretty lucky since the last bomb came floating towards me after its canister was destroyed by mines. Much appreciated, man!

• 1 year later...
Hey Wooty,

Zaldred

Thank you so much for this method. I got the trophy so easily using it, combined with the pause method :)

• 9 months later...

Finally after 9 and a half years, I got late boomer :o I didn't play it solidly for 9.5 years, took me around 600 attempts according to the in-game counter. But that's only in the PS3 I have now, it's probably nearer 1000 really. Such a satisfying trophy ping that one, cheers for all the tips here and YouTube videos etc. I just need shock and awe for 100% now.

I'm trying to complete it before July this year, that'll be the 10 year anniversary, of my first ever trophy. I'm quite a completionist and the irony of not finishing my first trophy enabled game almost 10 years ago is not lost on me :D

Edit: shock and awe baby! Finished 100% finally!!

Edited by funkyweed

• 2 weeks later...
Finally after 9 and a half years, I got late boomer :o I didn't play it solidly for 9.5 years, took me around 600 attempts according to the in-game counter. But that's only in the PS3 I have now, it's probably nearer 1000 really. Such a satisfying trophy ping that one, cheers for all the tips here and YouTube videos etc. I just need shock and awe for 100% now.

I'm trying to complete it before July this year, that'll be the 10 year anniversary, of my first ever trophy. I'm quite a completionist and the irony of not finishing my first trophy enabled game almost 10 years ago is not lost on me :D

Edit: shock and awe baby! Finished 100% finally!!

Congrats mate, i managed to get Late Boomer years ago and like you up until a few days ago just need Shock & Awe for 100% but haven't been able to muster up enough willpower to attempt it again for years.

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats mate, i managed to get Late Boomer years ago and like you up until a few days ago just need Shock & Awe for 100% but haven't been able to muster up enough willpower to attempt it again for years.

You can do it mate, just needs one good run. I tried several times for a few days in a row, left it a week and then nailed it on the first go! Just need good reactions, and some luck with the levels and power ups. Pro tip for the red triangles is just to use rock crusher and move forward, it needs to be powered up mind. The time I finished shock and awe I had the red triangles for three rounds. Try to save plenty bombs for later, but use them if need be as and when.

You can do it dude :cool: