Sumioni: Demon Arts Trophy Guide & Road Map

mcnichoj

Overview:

• Estimated trophy difficulty: 7/10
  • Offline trophies: 13 (10(B), 2(S), 1(G))
  • Online trophies: 0
  • Approximate amount of time to 100%: 6-8 hours
  • Minimum number of playthroughs: 6 (Just make sure to do everything in one save file)
  • Number of missable trophies: 0
  • Glitched trophies: 0
  • Does difficulty affect trophies?: N/A
  • Do trophies stack?: N/A
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies?: N/A
  • Additional peripherals required?: N/A

Introduction:

Sumioni: Demon Arts takes place in feudal Japan where a painting master awakens a sleeping demon during a time of peril where the afterlife and the world start to blend together and monsters start to create havoc. Now as the demon you wield the paint masters powers to create platforms, fires and the ability to summon Inkgods. You will mostly be running to the right and fighting enemies in a standard 2D platforming style during the normal stages, but don't get put off guard during the stages where you have to run from a giant to the finish line or have to outlive your enemies for a certain amount of time on the survival stages. You will have to fight through a variety of three different bosses like a castle armed from top to bottom with weapons to harm you, giant ogres that are slow but pack some power in their punches and lastly giant balls with a single eye that have lasers that go across the whole screen (better get high or stay low to avoid them).

Not much else to say about this beautiful game that uses the same art style as the Capcom game Okami. The game looks great and besides the rear touch controls, plays great. The game offers multiple endings that all work as standalone endings but also work together in building a bigger story. All in all a great unique game.

Walkthrough:

Make sure to read the entire guide even though most of it might not make sense now, it should later.

First Playthough

Grab Tactician in the first stage and then just continue playing normally and you should get Idle Oni.

Second Playthough

You should play exactly the same again but get the three star ranking on 4-A in order to get I'll Get To It Tomorrow.

Third Playthough

Get Vagrant by getting a three star ranking on 4-A and 6-B.

Fourth Playthough

You should be aiming for three star rankings on 2-A and 5-C to get Good Enough. Either this playthrough or the next should nab you Might of the Lion and Dancing Flame.

Fifth Playthough

Get a three star ranking on 2-A, 5-C and 7-C to get Ambitions Realized. All My Life and All My Ink should be obtained on this playthrough or the next.

Sixth Playthough

This is your serious run, you should have everything but ending six and the gold trophy. Get three star rankings on all the branching paths to get to the final stage to get the last ending trophy Redrawer of the Line and Every Legend Told should pop right after.

Edited by themindisacity
Replaced missing image.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1418/01.jpg

Idle Oni (B)

Achieved Ending 1

Easy trophy, should be the first ending trophy you get after doing your first run through in about ten minutes.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1418/02.jpg

I'll Get To It Tomorrow (B)

Achieved Ending 2

This should be the first branched off path ending you go for. The map below shows all the paths. In order to get to a new path you have to get a three star ranking on certain stages that branch out, I will specify these stages for each trophy. Getting three stars on stages that don't branch out get you nothing special/won't ruin the path for whatever ending you're going for.

http://s27.postimg.org/ba8hsho37/DSCI0408.jpg

So for the previous trophy Idle Oni you should have went to the fallowing stages 1-A, 2-A, 3-A, 4-A, 5-A and 6-A. So now for this one you still want to go through 1-A, 2-A and 3-A but when you get to 4-A what you want to do is try beating the stage as fast as possible while taking as little damage as possible in order to get a three star ranking at the end of the stage so instead of going to 5-A you'll go to 5-B. From there you should continue with 6-B and 7-A to get your second ending.

The map above can be accessed in-game by pressing :start: and then pressing "Stage Tree". Stages you have completed will green, stages you haven't been to yet will be grey and the stage you are currently on will be red. The bright green trail shows your current path. So if you ever get confused as to what stage you're on are what path you took, you can check without having to quit. The map also pops up for a brief second at the start of each stage.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1418/03.jpg

Vagrant (B)

Achieved Ending 3

Using the map from I'll Get To It Tomorrow and similar path you should be going to 1-A, 2-A, 3-A, 4-A and 5-B but you want to three star 6-B so you can get to 7-B and 8-A. You might have noticed that you can actually get to the third ending from two different paths, by getting three stars on 2-A to get to 3-B and then going through 4-B, 5-C, 6-C and then the last two but you don't need to and those stages are harder and will just make this run longer. So you may want to sabotage yourself on 2-A from getting anything above two stars, a good way being let yourself get hit a bunch of times.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1418/04.jpg

Good Enough (B)

Achieved Ending 4

This is when things should start getting hard. This path take 1-A like you always have to but now get a three star ranking on 2-A to get to 3-B, 4-B and then aim for three stars on 5-C to get to 6-D, 7-C, 8-B, 9-A and 10-A. This is only a taste of things to come.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1418/05.jpg

Ambitions Realized (S)

Achieved Ending 5

Despite the last route kind of being hard, this route should actually be kind of easy with all the upgrades you got by playing the game four times before this. Here's the route for the fifth ending; 1-A, 2-A, 3-B, 4-B, 5-C, 6-D, 7-C, 8-C, 9-B, 10-B, 11-A and 12-A. You should get some repeat cutscenes by now, you can go ahead and skip them and this won't effect you getting this or any other trophies.

Edited by themindisacity

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1418/06.jpg

Redrawer of the Line (S)

Achieved Ending 6

Even though you should be fully upgraded, the last stage at the end of 1-A, 2-A, 3-B, 4-B, 5-C, 6-D, 7-C, 8-C, 9-C. 10-C, 11-B and 12-B, which is 13-A, the boss on this stage is a whopper.

This boss has four phases. He'll start off by forming all three hands together and shooting homing fireballs at you. Summon the lion Inkgod and stand inside him and protect the both of you with your water brush and wiping away the fireballs and the the smaller projectiles raining from the sky. This should do a good amount of damage when the lion does the laser. While the lion is doing the laser the boss should have been doing his high screen laser, so what he should be doing next is moving to the bottom of the screen and doing his low screen laser. Quickly turn off your water brush and start making stairs for yourself to get high. While up there don't just sit around. Attack the top of his head and avoid tiny projectiles from the sky and the blue ones he shoots out so you will build up your attack power. Keep attacking him as he moves back into his spot in the upper-right corner and one of his hands should be doing the single hand horizontal/vertical laser shots as it moves up and down.

Simply dodge those as it goes down and comes back up and keep attacking away. His hands should blow up. Now quickly summon the phoenix Inkgod. She's basically useless in this fight but she can still kill ground enemies that spawn and soak up some of those projectiles from the sky.

Now the cycle starts all over again except you don't have any Inkgods for the second phase. Not a big deal, just do what you did before minus them up until you get to the single hand laser, now instead of him only shooting four and going down and up in a straight line the middle one will shoot out five lasers in a star like shape and slowly rotate. If you're on a paint platform in the upper-right, you may be safe from the laser and you should just keep attacking the hands but if your on the ground or you got knocked off your platform by one of the lasers you'll have to do a bit of work.

Instead of mindlessly mashing the attack button up on the platform you'll have to fallow the laser and avoid projectiles from the sky while getting in hits on the hand on the bottom. This will take longer and you might not be able to destroy the hands because you don't have an attack boost from standing on a line. You should be able to kill his hands after he restarts the process during the high/low lasers.

Now that you finished phase two you'll be moving onto the third phase. Your Inkgod should be back up so summon him and protect the two of you with your water brush like at the start. His hands should blow up during the high/low laser phases from the combination of the Inkgod and you getting attacks in.

The last phase everything goes out the window as he'll start up with all three of his hands doing something. One will be shooting out homing fireballs and the other two will be doing their laser attacks (the star and horizontal/vertical). During this phase you might lose half of your whole health bar, so hopefully you didn't get hit that much during the first three phases. If you live through that then he will do his high/low screen lasers and then afterwards go back to the start of this phase. You can't live through the three hands attacking you part twice, so make sure to get constantly attack him while powered up with your red aura. If you're lucky or skilled enough you should beat him and get the sixth ending.

Some things to note, samurai and archers will spawn. Samurai aren't a big threat but archers are a huge one as they can hit you, resetting your attack boost or they can knock you off your platforms. So if you ever see one go into art mode with the Left Trigger and draw two lines over them and in case you saw him too late and he already fired an arrow, you can destroy the arrow midair with a small line over it. Now it's possible the two minions can drop a small health restorer but I wouldn't rely on one coming up by chance in order to win. Lastly the phoenix Inkgod should come back during the final phase but don't waste the ink summoning her as she'll basically do nothing with all those lasers hitting her.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1418/07.jpg

Every Legend Told (G)

Achieved all endings in a single save slot

Now to get the gold trophy what you need to do is beat the game six times minimum. You'll notice the catch also which is mentioned in other trophies, that it needs to be done in a single save slot. Well that's a little bit of a typo as what slot you save to doesn't matter, it actually means in one save file. (In order to make things simpler you should only have one save file but I'm just letting you know that you can have multiple if you want to for whatever reason.) Having to beat the game six times in one save isn't really a challenge anyway as it's the only logical way to play this game, without reusing your save you won't have any of your health or ink upgrades which are vital to the latter parts of the game.

Because you'll be beating this game six times I suppose it's only fair warning to let you know that even though you can skip every cutscene including the endings, you can't skip the credits.

Mentioning the credits, in order to continue your save after you get an ending you'll want to save after the credits after which you'll get booted back to the touchpad start screen. Touch the screen to get to the main menu and now instead of pressing "Start New Game" press "Data Load". Select the file you just got an ending with, hit yes, then OK which will bring you back to the main menu but where it said "New Game" will now show "Resume Game". Clicking this will start you at 1-A but you'll have all the upgrades you collected from your previous run giving you a nice advantage.

Now lets say you're trying to get your first or second ending but by accident you got a three star ranking on stage 2-A, well I suppose you could press the :ps: and then close the game but you could do a faster solution by instead not saving after you see that three star ranking. Just let 3-B load up and then as soon as it starts, press :start: and go to "Return to Title". It will ask if you are sure, press yes but then it will ask you to save again. DO NOT SAVE, just hit no to saving again and you will be brought back to the main menu where you will have to reload the data and resume your game again; that easy.

One last thing, you'll have noticed that the map displayed for I'll Get To It Tomorrow has 6-C grey, it is not required to complete all the stages, just to get every ending. You can skip that one stage.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1418/08.jpg

All My Life (B)

Expanded life gauge to max

All over the game you should see these green and grey circles that have the yin and yang symbols on them, these boost your health meter and ink meter. You'll mostly get these by beating bosses but you can also get them by destroying structures such as the wooden blockades, archer towers, enemy spawn generators, mini-bosses and even a few will be lying around in some stages. These should not be confused with the green and grey items that look like pots and vases as they aren't circles, these will restore your health and ink but will not increase it. You should get this towards the end of your fifth/final play through. I know it doesn't say it in the description, but you obviously have to do this in a single save slot so go read Every Legend Told for info on the single save slot.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1418/09.jpg

All My Ink (B)

Expanded ink gauge to max

See All My Life for more information.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1418/10.jpg

Master of Swords (B)

Spent > 1 hr. in multi-edge mode in a single save slot

This trophy isn't actually as bad as it sounds, you should get it on your sixth ending run. Those lines that you draw with your finger that you can jump on, as you stand on them and don't get hit you're weapon will charge yellow and then red which means it gets a attack boost. Against bosses, archer towers and while avoiding certain obstacles you should be making and standing on a lot of these lines. All the time you stand on them adds up as long as you do all your runs on a single save slot. See Every Legend Told for info on the single save slot.

Edited by Tuffinz
editorial sweep

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1418/11.jpg

Might of the Lion (B)

Summoned lion Inkgod 30x in a single save slot

In order to summon an Inkgod you have to enter art mode by pressing the Left Trigger. Now click on the weird blue icon in the lower-left, a image will pop up in the middle of the screen, it looks like a weird number eight or a hourglass. You will see a bright dot trace this shape, you must copy the tracing it just did with the same exact pattern. If you do it correctly the blue lion should appear on-screen and do some attacks and finish with a giant laser that goes up towards the sky. This pattern you have to trace will change every time and you must have ink in order to summon the Inkgods. After you use an Inkgod you will not be able to use that Inkgod for a while, so I suggest you save them for bosses at the end of the stages. If you use them and then lose and have to retry a stage, that use still counts although it shouldn't really be a big deal and this you should get this by your third or fourth ending run. See Every Legend Told for info on the single save slot.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1418/12.jpg

Dancing Flame (B)

Summoned firebird Inkgod 30x in a single save slot

Just like the Might of the Lion except when you enter art mode you should be clicking the weird red icon in the lower-right. A red bird will summoned if you do the tracing correctly, he will shoot out a sets of three projectiles before shooting a tilted laser at the ground and then leaving. You should get this trophy at the same exact time as the other if you have been summoning them both one after the other.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1418/13.jpg

Tactician (B)

Inflicted status ailment on 10 foes in a single save slot

Easiest trophy in the game and can be done right at the start. Click the blue icon that has a water drop, located in the lower-right corner. Now go into art mode by pressing the Left Trigger, while in art mode draw a line on an enemy. Press the Left Trigger again and the enemy should be on fire, so now without entering art mode draw over him again to put out the fire. Do this ten times and you got it. Don't worry about the one save slot thing as you can do this in a single stage or two stages if you have to.

Edited by themindisacity
editorial sweep

• 3 weeks later...
You might have noticed that you can actually get to the third ending from two different paths, by getting three stars on 2-A to get to 3-B and then going through 4-B, 5-C, 6-C and then the last two but you don't need to and those stages are harder and will just make this run longer. So you may want to sabotage yourself on 2-A from getting anything above two stars, a good way being let yourself get hit a bunch of times.

actually it's not necessary anymore. There must have been an update for this (plus the 2 free DLCs!). In the case you describe, a screen will appear and ask you which path you want to take. For instance if you get 3 stars on 2-A stage, a screen will appear to give you a choice: next stage should be 3-B or 3-A

thanks for the guide by the way

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
In short, I have to play the whole game with a save. And when he tells me to save. I except the same slot right?
Correct, accept over your already existing file. You should never need more than one save.

Okay, am i dumb or something, how the hell am i meant to beat the first final boss (stage 6-a)? It drops down low, starts charging up, and boom, game over. WTF?
Create a platform and get towards the top of the screen.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I just downloaded this game as it's free for ps plus this november on asian reg.

But the description says this is a Japanese version. Will there be problems

of language if I play the japanese version ?

I mean do I have to understand the Japanese kanjo to play it ?

Or it's just a simple 2d side scrolling game ?

Thanx before :)

• 1 month later...
Great job on the guide mcnichoj, thanks a lot!

A small comment though, the credits are skippable like any other cutscene (double tap on the screen)... ;)

Did not know this.

I just downloaded this game as it's free for ps plus this november on asian reg.

But the description says this is a Japanese version. Will there be problems

of language if I play the japanese version ?

I mean do I have to understand the Japanese kanjo to play it ?

Or it's just a simple 2d side scrolling game ?

Thanx before :)

Not really. I don't remember any of the story anyway, pretty forgettable.

• 3 months later...