Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition

Newbie needs advice

I'm picking up 3rd strike today, and could use some advice. I haven't played a fighting game in probably 15 years, and even then I was much more into soul calibur. So for someone who is expecting to get waxed repeatedly when I start playing, which character is a good one to start with? I'll be doing the challenges before I try playing online. Thanks in advance for the advice.

There are 3 'Top Tier' characters: Yun, Chun Li and Ken.

Of the three, Yun is the strongest but also the most difficult to play. Chun Li is a real powerhouse, is extremely easy to play but has one or two weaknesses. Ken is a between the two in terms of difficulty, but he has an answer for everything once you get used to playing him.

I'd definitely recommend starting with Chun Li. She has some weaknesses in that her anti-air game is fairly weak, but her standing HP has massive range, her back + HP has insane priority, her neutral jumping HK beats most attacks in the air. Her standing HK is decent for anti-air and her crouching MK into SA2 is good for punishing to begin with (until you learn to hit confirm it). So she's the sort of character you can do reasonably well with, even if you don't know any combos :)

Nuki is arguable the #1 Chun Li player in the world:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1LAVXp9Rbc]chun-li(tokido) vs chun-li(nuki)\1126'05 - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by TurboSquirrel

This game really reminds me of why I stopped playing street fighter to begin with; I cant do a combos for the life of me. That as well as some of the parry trials demand perfect timing - ridiculously fun after you get it over with though!

Tried Akuma's combo #1 about 50 times but can not get the last move to catch Ryu, I simply glide over him with a red trail behind me :mad:

Anyone have a tip for the Akuma combo or is my timing just off?

There are 3 'Top Tier' characters: Yun, Chun Li and Ken.

Of the three, Yun is the strongest but also the most difficult to play. Chun Li is a real powerhouse, is extremely easy to play but has one or two weaknesses. Ken is a between the two in terms of difficulty, but he has an answer for everything once you get used to playing him.

I'd definitely recommend starting with Chun Li. She has some weaknesses in that her anti-air game is fairly weak, but her standing HP has massive range, her back + HP has insane priority, her neutral jumping HK beats most attacks in the air. Her standing HK is decent for anti-air and her crouching MK into SA2 is good for punishing to begin with (until you learn to hit confirm it). So she's the sort of character you can do reasonably well with, even if you don't know any combos :)

Nuki is arguable the #1 Chun Li player in the world:

what would say ryu is am trying to get really good with him and am a beginner to am ok with ryu i just can't do combos that well at all i never been really good at fighting games even though i love them thanks for the advice to bad this isn't wwe all stars i rock at that game lol

:dance:

Chun Li works very well against the computer.

For online matches, play whoever you feel most comfortable with. Forget about tiers.

Here's Kuroda embarassing top tiers with low tier Q.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP6osEvuYl8]Street Fighter III 3rd Strike - SBO Kuroda Vs Ortiz and Wong - YouTube[/ame]

what would say ryu is am trying to get really good with him and am a beginner to am ok with ryu i just can't do combos that well at all

Try playing Ryu SA3. Denjin Hadouken is unblockable. Knock the opponent down and then charge the Denjin Hadouken (wiggle the D-pad to charge it faster). Then, by releasing it just as they get back up you can stun them reliably. This gives you the opportunity to land another combo and take 50% of their health fairly easily.

If you cancel a Shoryuken into the Denjin Hadouken you can even start to charge it up before the opponent hits the floor. It's very powerful, even for beginners.

This game really reminds me of why I stopped playing street fighter to begin with; I cant do a combos for the life of me. That as well as some of the parry trials demand perfect timing - ridiculously fun after you get it over with though!

Tried Akuma's combo #1 about 50 times but can not get the last move to catch Ryu, I simply glide over him with a red trail behind me :mad:

Anyone have a tip for the Akuma combo or is my timing just off?

? His first trial is Easy, SF3 has 'Negative Edge', where if you press a button, you pressing and lifting your finger off the button counts as pressing it twice.

So in this case, Press and Hold MK, then do his Light Tornado Kick, then quickly input his shoryuken. Practice the timing, it's different than SF4.

Try playing Ryu SA3. Denjin Hadouken is unblockable. Knock the opponent down and then charge the Denjin Hadouken (wiggle the D-pad to charge it faster). Then, by releasing it just as they get back up you can stun them reliably. This gives you the opportunity to land another combo and take 50% of their health fairly easily.

If you cancel a Shoryuken into the Denjin Hadouken you can even start to charge it up before the opponent hits the floor. It's very powerful, even for beginners.

thanks for the help i work on that

? His first trial is Easy, SF3 has 'Negative Edge', where if you press a button, you pressing and lifting your finger off the button counts as pressing it twice.

So in this case, Press and Hold MK, then do his Light Tornado Kick, then quickly input his shoryuken. Practice the timing, it's different than SF4.

Thanks. I figured it out. I was pressing the wrong kick button so the move I was doing at the end wasn't the correct one at all :whistle: