Easy way to complete on Mercenary Difficulty

boohyah

I you start a level on easy and play through to the end of that level, leave the last enemy alive. Go into settings, change the difficulty to Mercenary. Continue to finish off the last guy, and you have the mercenary difficulty for that level. As an example, on the first level, Homecoming, when you finish off the gas station, 3 hawks come in, kill off two of them, change the difficulty to mercenary, kill last hawk, and done! If this was already posted, sorry for the repeat.

I'm still working through it, it is giving me the icon showing its completed on Mercenary difficulty, I will confirm it 100% as soon as I'm done, have 4 more levels to go through. I may have posted to early, sorry if I got anyone's hopes up if this doesn't count. It was a mistake that made me find this, got a bit excited when it looked like it worked

Already confirmed and talked about here:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/starhawk/157204-starhawk-trophy-guide-roadmap-2.html#post2730035

Well I just tested it and I can confirm it does work!!! I changed to merc difficulty at the very last second of a mission and got the Rift Completion (3 medal) award for the whole mission. Awesome over-sight Lightbox:applause:

Also unrelated...This game autosyncs its trophies :(

For those wanting to switch to Mercenary at the last moment (not exactly spoilers, but may give some things away):

[spoiler=ScarlettJohanssonsBoobs]Chapter 1 - Homecoming: When you first see the Outcast Hawks and have to use a rocket launcher. Switch to Mercenary before you shoot down the last one.

Chapter 2 - The Freightway: After you get the Swarm Lasers, you'll first face a swarm of 2 Hawks, then a second swarm of more Hawks come. Switch to Mercenary before you shoot down the last one from the second swarm.

Chapter 3 - Harvest Season: When you take to the sky as a Hawk after defending the Rift Extractor you'll have to take out a bunch of Outcast Hawks. There are no additional swarms. Switch to Mercenary before you shoot down the last one.

Chapter 4 - The Pipeline: While surviving the pod storm you'll be prompted to drop a shield generator. Switch to Mercenary shortly before defeating the final enemies after dropping the shield. (If you have the map up, :select:, you can see how many enemies/pod drops are left.)

Chapter 5 - Ballard's Crossing: You can play this whole chapter on easy, then when you've deleted the final wave and hear "Last tanker is loaded!" you can switch to Mercenary and still get the medal.

Chapter 6 - Train Robbery: Play the whole chapter on easy, then when you have to escape from the self destruct sequence switch to Mercenary before flying to the escape point.

Chapter 7 - The Pit: Right before you escape the dry well up through the final middle hole, switch to Mercenary.

Chapter 8 - Ashes: When you're defending the saloon, after a wave of tanks come in 3 Apex Warriors. Switch to Mercenary before taking out the last one.

Chapter 9 - Sever: Switch to Mercenary before firing the Torpedo into the ship's Rift Core.

Chapter 10 - The Source Once you've defeated the final boss and are about to place a Rig down for the 3rd time, switch to Mercenary.

I can confirm that this works from all the points I've posted, and I have successfully gotten Only the Beginning... (G)

Thank you guys for confirming. It was odd because the trophies didn't pop right away... had to redo the final mission and some missions were done out of order. So it's probably more an issue of having done missions out of order than it is anything.

Cooper if you don't mind I'd like to add all of that to the guide, with credit to you of course.

I'd still recommend doing Merc legitly cuz it's a ton of fun. But if you're struggling or if you just want to burn through this method is available. Now that you guys have confirmed I don't have to go test it on my alt acct :D

It's not working for me. I kill all 3 apex on merc diff twice and didn't get credit. In also playing without the patch. It was only way I could keep it from freezing

What do you mean kill all 3 Apex? Apex Warriors? I don't understand what part of the game you're talking about. Maybe give a bit more info and I can help you out.

It's not working for me. I kill all 3 apex on merc diff twice and didn't get credit. In also playing without the patch. It was only way I could keep it from freezing

What do you mean kill all 3 Apex? Apex Warriors? I don't understand what part of the game you're talking about. Maybe give a bit more info and I can help you out.

I'm guessing he's referring to the end of the chapter where you defend the saloon. Maybe?

Yea chapter 8 when the three apex warriors come. I switched it to merc once with one warrior left and tried again I switched it with three. Typing on the iPhone sucks sorry. Btw I'm downloading the patch right now to test if that makes a difference I just hope it doesn't become unplayable again.

Edited by railroberto
Left out a word

• 2 weeks later...

Went great, only took about 2 hours for the whole thing. Had played it on normal the first time not even thinking about trophies for the harder difficulties then killed it on easy with this technique. Figured it be patched pretty soon so wanted to get those out of the way the easy way while I still could XD

Not saying Merc mode is terribly hard but the story isn't the most exciting one I've ever seen so it doesn't feel like a loss to get it out of the way first lol

this no longer works, after patch 1.02.

So I guess all you have to do is delete the 1.02 patch, finish the game and then update

EDIT: Delete all the data on your PS3 (there is only 1 file). Load up StarHawk and let it update the first file. As soon as it has installed the first patch 1.01, cancel the update and reload the game.

Edited by desmayer

I mercenary campaign the whole way through. I found into be a pain, surprisingly.

I think it really helps out the ground game though for online play.

If you need to cheat it for the trophy, go ahead :rolleyes:, but, I recommend you play back through it on merc difficulty for self improvements.

I did the same thing and I never played warhawk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...