Open Beta - October 8 to 12

vava

The multiplayer beta for Star Wars Battlefront will run across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC from October 8 to 12, Electronic Arts announced.

The technical test, which will be open to all players and does not require registration, will feature the following modes and maps:

Walker Assault on Hoth: Fight in epic 40-player battles as a Rebel to destroy the Empire’s onslaught of AT-AT’s by calling in Y-wing bombers. Or, side with the Empire and protect your walkers while utilizing their mighty weaponry to crush the Rebel objective.

Drop Zone on Sullust: Escape pods are crashing down and you and your team must fight to control them. With its frantic 8v8 matches, Drop Zone is sure to put your combat and strategy skills to the test.

Survival Mission on Tatooine: Play alone or with a friend via co-op or split-screen as you battle to hold off waves of Imperial forces including AT-ST’s, TIE fighters, elite stormtroopers and more.

Ran perfectly smooth for me on PS4. Graphics look fine and dandy. Not impressed with the gameplay, the weapons are very bland. Player count seemed very sparse on Hoth. Grenades recharge far too fast for how powerful they are. Heroes seem a tad weak. Spawns need work, but what game doesn't these days.

To DICE's credit, this is the first game they've done in years where I shoot something and it actually gets shot. So +1 there.

This felt like Battlefield 4, but with Star Wars skins. In fact, once I got in the flow of the game, I completely forgot it had anything to do with Star Wars (I only played the first game mode, the one without the big Walkers). Not necessarily a bad thing, but since I have BF4, I'll stick with that since I have a ton of stuff to play in that game.

I'm sure a lot of people will shoot me for saying this, but I was far more impressed with COD Black Ops III beta than this beta.

The game's okay. The two maps and game modes are pretty generic, especially the horrible AT-AT game mode which results in me spawning and dying almost immediately every time. I have a big issue with the hit detection, too, as I know I have a good connection but I just feel like I shoot people way too much and get killed immediately for a game that's supposed to feel arcadey. Who knows. I'll give it a few more matches and decide on whether or not I'm picking it up. If the game feels this lacking come release, though, I'll pass.

Played the beta for 4+ hours yesterday evening. Frankly, I'm not very impressed, and I probably won't be buying the game in the first weeks. Yes, the game is very beautiful, and the sound is awesome, but it's all I can find on the plus side. On the minus side, I experienced some lag and framerate issues, as well as sound issues (it disappeared for a split second from time to time). Overall, I found the game boring. Certainly, the fact that there wasn't a map rotation didn't help, I'm perfectly aware of that. But... Drop Zone was OK, and I played some good matches, but something just bored me, I didn't feel it.... The walker assault mode was horrible, you have zero chance to win as rebels, I've played it over 20 times and rebels lost every time. Spawn areas aren't good, you have to run too much each time to see the action.

I don't know how many different weapons we'll have in the full game, but I would've enjoyed to have more diversity.

Also, seeing how the game looks and sounds, I'm even more pissed off that there is no SP. I would've enjoyed it, definitely. It looks like that walker assault is the bulk of the game, and it worries me.

Well, I will pick it up if there's a reasonable easy and quick platinum, but I doubt about it.

Edited by gabwe

How do you claim a pod? Just hang around it for X amount of time?

hit square to claim it then just wait. you dont have to be near it although you would want to to defend it.

The walker assault mode was horrible, you have zero chance to win as rebels, I've played it over 20 times and rebels lost every time.

100% this. ive never even seen 1 AT-AT get taken down, let alone two. the rebels are up against dudes, walkers and AT-ATs. how the fuck is that fair? its nearly impossible to keep your satellites or whatever uplinked for the y-wings. ive never won as a rebel either. also the x-wings, tie fighters and whatever that other ship is, is pretty pointless. you cant control the speed so youre only ever going to be attacking whatever is flying and no the infantry on the ground.

Played the Beta about 2+ hours yesterday, only claiming PODs, there was nothing special about it. Battlefield with cool star wars guns. I'm going to try the other modes today, but i'm not sold at all - not worth 60$ to me and there is a game called Fallout 4 coming out the week before.

Agreed. I need a MP game to go alongside Fallout 4, but this may not be it for me, doesn't seem to be worth the price tag at all.

not impressed at all and have been playing since Tuesday. both modes are weak not impressed by either map.it feels like bf4 just on super casual mode.Rebels suck since no one play objectives most games. it runs smooth and have had no network connection problems but I'll be getting blops3 and fallout4 day ones instead of this for sure.

I'm torn. I'm inexperienced with shooters, as you can tell from my profile, and if this game involves a trophy for instance get infinity pods on butthurt difficulty with 4vs4 ranked or whatever. I'm out.

However I should really start doing shooters one of these days, and if it's a 7/10 or lower I might give it a go, seeing I have a good few skilled friends that's all over it from day one.

So torn.

9150665.gif

hit square to claim it then just wait. you dont have to be near it although you would want to to defend it.

100% this. ive never even seen 1 AT-AT get taken down, let alone two. the rebels are up against dudes, walkers and AT-ATs. how the fuck is that fair? its nearly impossible to keep your satellites or whatever uplinked for the y-wings. ive never won as a rebel either. also the x-wings, tie fighters and whatever that other ship is, is pretty pointless. you cant control the speed so youre only ever going to be attacking whatever is flying and no the infantry on the ground.

I've seen 1 AT-AT taken down in all of my games. And basically, our team sucked donkey balls, we were all like 7-25 or 1-15 for the worst ones. And we were 12 vs 20. But we still won the game. :rolleyes:

You can control the speed of your x-wing or tie fighter. Left stick up to accelerate, down to decelerate.

I think what gets me is the spawns don't seem to be any better from DICE's older BF days, which is a shame. The spawning real far away and having to run to a battle doesn't bother me, but when spawns are constantly changing and I keep spawning right in front of an enemy, right behind an enemy, or spawn and run 30 or 40 yards just to get shot in my back by an enemy who spawned exactly where I did, I start to have a problem with it. If I'm racking up deaths because you have poor spawns, then I lose interest in your game quick.

Unless, of course, the game ships with some type of BF Rush game mode with set spawns so you can't be flanked. I'd honestly rather be spawn camped (or leave the match because I'm complaining about being spawn camped) than have horrible spawns that change every few seconds.

I've seen 1 AT-AT taken down in all of my games. And basically, our team sucked donkey balls, we were all like 7-25 or 1-15 for the worst ones. And we were 12 vs 20. But we still won the game. :rolleyes:

You can control the speed of your x-wing or tie fighter. Left stick up to accelerate, down to decelerate.

ive played about 10 games of that AT-AT mode and never won as a rebel. hell the one game i went 43-9 fucking people up in one of the stationary guns and my team couldnt even get one AT-AT down.