Star Trek - Commendations Guide

M-Easy

This is a guide supplement for the

Star Trek Trophy Guide & Road Map

Introduction

This guide will help you achieve the two following trophies.

Special Credit to sunnygrg and Lightsp33d1987 for correcting mistakes. Note: For stealth sections you should eliminate all enemies. Leaving one or a few conscience can result in a failure because they may be attacked by a hacked drone/turret. On that note always destroy drones during stealth sections, don't hack them because they will attack an enemy and you will fail the stealth section.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1062/A60.jpg Honorary Commendation (S)

Complete half of all Optional Objectives

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1062/883.jpg Exemplary Commendation (G)

Complete all Optional Objectives

There are 22 optional objectives spread across 18 different sub-chapters. When each one is completed, it will give you a commendation bonus of 300XP. When 11 are completed, you will unlock Honorary Commendation. Finally, when all 22 are completed you will unlock Exemplary Commendation.

Commendations can be shown by pressing :l2: to activate your tricorder and will appear in the top left on the screen and will be preceded by 'COMMENDATION'. You'll know when you have successfully completed a commendation as it will flash up in the middle of the screen, along with an image of the Federation emblem.

There are three main types of optional objectives that you will encounter. 1. Avoid killing infected friendlies. 2. Find alternate routes. 3. Complete stealth sections. There is also a rescue commendation during the Frontier Starship chapter.

Passing the sections where you have to avoid killing infected friendlies is very easy. Simply use the stun setting on your phaser/repeater to disable your enemy and then move in close to knock them out. Finding alternate router are straight forward. Stealth sections are a bit trickier, but with trial and error you can work out a route to pass enemies undetected. Using :r3: to sneak around and :circle: to move from cover to cover is the best way to pass these objectives.

Pro Tip: Use Kirk (or if playing co-op have the Kirk player run point) for stealth sections because they will prove to be much easier using him. Make sure you upgrade Kirk's phaser's stun section with "Knockout Shot." Its basically a completely silent one-shot kill (knockout) weapon. It one-shot KO's ALL non-boss enemies no matter how big they are. Using this weapon you will never have to get close to an enemy and the stun shots are muffled so other enemies won't be alerted when you fire. And the stun shot doesn't kill infected humans so you are safe using it on them as well. One shot puts the gun in overheat so its best used with the Energy upgrade "Cooling System."

Also if you alert an enemy and you fail the commendation, then just restart checkpoint and try again. This is especially useful on the longer sections that have multiple checkpoints like the deactivation mission in Gorn Planet. Lastly its a good idea to upgrade and use the "Software Suite" in the electronics module. Some of the later missions require you to hack pads really fast and this upgrade will hack some of them automatically. Also if playing solo you should have the AI hack most if the bypass hacking because if you mess it up then you may be discovered.

The following is a list of all optional objectives, their locations and corresponding strategies:

New Vulcan > Vulcan Laboratories Part 1:

-Complete your objective without killing any of the Vulcans.

New Vulcan > Vulcan Laboratories Part 2.

-Find an alternative route around the Gorn ambush. If you pry a door open and pass into a room with electrified water on the floor then you've failed this objective.

The alternate route is the ventilation shaft in the roof. You find it by climbing on the large boxes directly in front of you when you enter the starting room. On top of the boxes is co-op boost-up section. Have your partner boost you up or vice versa. Now follow the vents into the next room, go to the far left corner and drop down. The commendation will complete upon falling through the roof down to the ground.

Frontier Starbase > Search for a cure part 1.

-Stealth. Remain undetected before reaching Bones.

This is one of the few 'hard' stealth objectives because there are two auto-detection turrets, and around 6-7 enemies through out the hallways and rooms. Once you take out the two initial enemies is best to destroy the flying drone by stunning it and then shooting it. You don't want to hack the drone because it will follow you and attack the enemies, thus ruing your stealth run.

Once the drone has bee taken care of upon entering the next hallway, take a right immediately and enter the room; you will need to take out the guard in there. In that room is a area where you can boost your partner up into the vents. While in the vents, take the right turn. Drop down and hack the turret. Now from here slowly move around the area taking out enemies as you go. There will be another turret in front of the door to the room you find Bones in so you will need to hack this turret too. The control panel is in the far right room of the turret.

-Destroy the 3 Gorn devices without killing any infected Starfleet Officers.

Frontier Starbase > Search for a cure part 2.

-Stealth. This is a very small room with a turret, a drone and a few enemies. You are also introduced to mines in this section so watch out for them and bypass them. Use Kirk to take out baddies from a distance. Hack or destroy the drone and hack the turret from its right side.

-Reach the Shuttle Bay without directly killing any infected.

Frontier Starbase > Evacuate

-Reach the Shuttle Bay without directly killing any infected. Same as all the other non-lethal objectives.

Frontier Starbase > Power Station.

-Stealth. This section isn't bad if you have Kirk and his upgraded stun shot. Just take out all the enemies from a distance.

Frontier Starbase > Relay Tower.

-Complete your objective without directly killing any of the Infected (Non-Lethal). Same as all the other non-lethal objectives.

Frontier Starbase > To The Rescue.

-Save the trapped Starbase crew. To pass this objective you first have to use your tricorder to activate the fire suppression system directly above you. Then move across to where the two officers are trapped and activate the system above them.

Volatile Cargo Part 2.

-Don't kill any infected Starfleet officers. Unlocks once you enter the turbolift shaft.

Edited by M-Easy
Editorial Sweep

Gorn Planet > Where No Man Has Gone Before.

-Stealth. This is another of the few 'hard' stealth sections, but luckily this section has a whopping 6 checkpoints, so messing up doesn't hurt as bad as other missions.

Basically, use kirk to take out the enemies. In the first room, take a quick left and use the panel on the floor to go underground. Emerge on the other side of the room and hack the turret. Now move on to the next room, checkpoint reached.

In this room you will need to remove three power cells. All power cells are underground. Upon entering, take out the 3 enemies to your right but DO NOT hack the turret. Now use one of the three floor panels to go underground and remove the power cell. Checkpoint reached.

Emerge from underground and take out the newly spawned enemy and drone (destroy the drone - do not hack it). Now use another floor panel, go underground and remove the 2nd power cell. Checkpoint reached.

Emerge from the underground and eliminate the two newly spawned enemies. Find the final floor panel which is in the far right room. The panel will be directly to your left upon entering the room. Go underground and remove the final power cell. Checkpoint reached.

Go back upstairs and eliminate two new enemies then return back underground from the last floor panel you used. Down there take a quick left and go down another level. Hit the switch. Checkpoint reached.

Finally, return top side and eliminate the final two bad guys and now hack the turret. Follow the objective, complete the co-op hack, and finally use the floor panel to drop down. Upon dropping down the commendation will complete.

Note: If you have completed all commendation up to this point you will receive the (S)Honorary Commendation trophy now.

Gorn Planet > The Apple Part 1.

-Find an alternate path leading around the Gorn checkpoint. Instead of crossing the bridge before you come to the turret, stun it and then jump down into the water. There is an underwater tunnel to the left you can swim through to complete this objective.

Gorn Planet > The Apple Part 2.

-Find an alternative path into the Gorn complex. After clearing out the large group of Gorn outside the complex, cross the bridge and head right. There should be an access hatch in the roof that you can boost up to. Head through and into a room with a teleport pad. Head through the door opposite and fight through the Gorn. Instead of heading through the objective marker, go straight on and you'll find another teleport pad. Go through and you find yourself in a room with flaming vents. Deactivate the second one and you will see a hatch a the end of the passage. Go through this hatch to complete this objective.

Gorn Planet > The Apple Part 3.

-Stealth. Very simple section using Kirk.

Enterprise Capture - Taking Back The Ship.

-Stealth. Unlocks once you have unlocked the door at the end of the room. Using Kirk this shouldn't present any problems.

Enterprise Capture > Taking Back The Ship Part 2.

-Stealth. Another simple section. Avoid the big guy in the room you start in. Use the access patch on the right side of the room to exit. Emerge in the next room and hack the camera. Now take out the enemies in the next room from a distance because there is another camera to the far right of the area. Once the enemies are down crouch and stay left, go up the stairs, go left until you find a floor panel to go down. Use the underground tunnel to reach the next area and hack the camera and complete the objective.

-Complete your objectives without directly killing any infected. The objective will be completed once you have entered the turbolift to the medbay.

Enterprise Capture > Spread The Cure.

-Stealth. This would be the final 'hard' stealth section. Once you finally reach the large two story room where the enemies are. Take out the 5 enemies from a distance with Kirk, take out the three enemies downstairs from upstairs using the holes in the floors. Watch out for mines because they are everywhere.

Go downstairs and compete the objective. Unfortunately, there is no checkpoint here so you need to be careful completing the next objectives because more enemies will spawn. Once you complete the objectives you will receive the commendation.

-Complete your objectives without directly killing any infected. This objective will be completed at the end of the chapter.

Enterprise Capture > Spread The Cure Part 2.

-Complete your objectives without directly killing any infected. This objective will be completed once you enter the turbolift to the bridge.

Gorn Mothership > Punch a Hole.

-Stealth. Complete infiltration without provoking any enemy attacks. In the initial room its best to have the 'Software Suite' electronics upgrade installed. You will need to slowly approach a camera and deactivate it. The camera's panel is directly in front of the the camera so you will need to wait for the camera to look left then you will need to quickly move into position and hack the panel as fast as possible before the camera loops back around. Using the software suite will auto-hack the panel. Now continue on, after moving through an empty room a checkpoint will be reached.

From here take out the enemy ahead of you and use the floor panel to go underground and hack the camera's panel. Now eliminate the rest of the enemies and hack the other camera's panel which is in the same room as the terminal you need to hack to continue on your objective. Once you pass through the next door a checkpoint will be reached.

In this area take out the three enemies patrolling and enter the door opposite the door you entered from. Take out the enemy in there and use the vent to move into the next room. From here hack the camera's panel then split up with your partner to complete the co-op hack. Go through the objective door to complete the commendation.

Gorn Mothership > Final Confrontation.

-Stealth. This objective will be completed once you destroy the Helios device. This section is very simple using the ranged method.

Edited by M-Easy
Editorial Sweep

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are stuck one the commendation for Search For A Cure Part 2, we figured out a way to do it (after a few hours of massive frustration). Kill or knock out the living enemies, then hack the drone and have it and Spock follow you up to the stairs on the side of the platform. Climb down and hack the mine and the turret without letting Spock or the drone get out of the cover, then scan the second piece of Bones' research so it saves

• 2 weeks later...

New Vulcan > Vulcan Laboratories Part 2.

-Find an alternative route around the Gorn ambush. If you pry a door open and pass into a room with electrified water on the floor then you've failed this objective.

I was wondering what the proper way to do this is then. The guide only mentions what not to do, not what to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Your missing one in-between these 2 below is the RELAY TOWER which you are not allowed to kill the infected.

-Stealth. This section isn't bad if you have Kirk and his upgraded stun shot. Just take out all the enemies from a distance.

Frontier Starbase > To The Rescue.

-Save the trapped Starbase crew. To pass this objective you first have to use your tricorder to activate the fire suppression system directly above you. Then move across to where the two officers are trapped and activate the system above them.

• 1 month later...

A couple of errors...

-Destroy the 3 Gorn devices without killing any infected Starfleet Officers.

Frontier Starbase > Search for a cure part 2.

-Stealth. This is a very small room with a turret, a drone and a few enemies. You are also introduced to mines in this section so watch out for them and bypass them. Use Kirk to take out baddies from a distance. Hack or destroy the drone and hack the turret from its right side.

Frontier Starbase > Evacuate

-Reach the Shuttle Bay without directly killing any infected.

The red text is missing.

---------------------

You are also missing one extra commendation in the first post.

Frontier Starbase > Relay Tower.

-Complete your objective without directly killing any of the Infected (Non-Lethal).

This goes after Power Station and before To the Rescue.

• 5 weeks later...

You possibly might want to add that on Frontier Starbase > Search for a cure part 1 -Stealth section you DO NOT want to hack the turret next to the door Bones is in until the two Gorn and the Starfleet Officer that patrol right next to it are taken out, otherwise it will kill them and fail the stealth objective. And it might even be prudent to take out the guy next to the first turret you come across because I had that one shoot at him once too after hacking it.

You possibly might want to add that on Frontier Starbase > Search for a cure part 1 -Stealth section you DO NOT want to hack the turret next to the door Bones is in until the two Gorn and the Starfleet Officer that patrol right next to it are taken out, otherwise it will kill them and fail the stealth objective. And it might even be prudent to take out the guy next to the first turret you come across because I had that one shoot at him once too after hacking it.

Hmm I just assumed everyone knew that you had to take out all the enemies in the stealth sections. I'll make a note of it in the introduction. Thanks.

Hmm I just assumed everyone knew that you had to take out all the enemies in the stealth sections. I'll make a note of it in the introduction. Thanks.

I guess the issue is more that I, and I'm sure others, weren't aware that hacking a turret necssarily made it friendly. When I hacked the two turrets before that one it seemed that it just shut them off, so when that one went nuts and messed up the stealth objective it didn't seem to make much sense. I think more of a general warning about hacking turrets, rather then just that one in particular is what's needed, unless I missed something in your walkthrough.

Edited by snake2410

You also might want to clarify that you have to hack the drone and not the turret during the Where No Man Has Gone before - Stealth section when you're removing the power cells. You have it saying that you should hack the turret at the point after you take out the second power cell when it should be you hack the drone that spawns with the guy you take out at that checkpoint. The turret screws you over, which just happened to me and screwed me over. I just hope it doesn't glitch the trophy for half of the commendations since I'm going to have to restart the level.

You also might want to clarify that you have to hack the drone and not the turret during the Where No Man Has Gone before - Stealth section when you're removing the power cells. You have it saying that you should hack the turret at the point after you take out the second power cell when it should be you hack the drone that spawns with the guy you take out at that checkpoint. The turret screws you over, which just happened to me and screwed me over. I just hope it doesn't glitch the trophy for half of the commendations since I'm going to have to restart the level.

No way dude. I remember that part like it was yesterday. You need to destroy that drone, it will 100% screw you over if you hack it. I see where I messed up though now, I said take out the new enemy and turret but I meant enemy and drone. Tomato-tomato I know but I see where you got confused, but regardless all drones should be destroyed for stealth sections, never hacked.

And I never said to hack the turret after the 2nd power cell, it says to hack the turret after you've finished all the power cells, eliminated all enemies, and hit the switch.

Edited by M-Easy

No way dude. I remember that part like it was yesterday. You need to destroy that drone, it will 100% screw you over if you hack it. I see where I messed up though now, I said take out the new enemy and turret but I meant enemy and drone. Tomato-tomato I know but I see where you got confused, but regardless all drones should be destroyed for stealth sections, never hacked.

And I never said to hack the turret after the 2nd power cell, it says to hack the turret after you've finished all the power cells, eliminated all enemies, and hit the switch.

I hacked it and had no issues. It was a defense drone and it didn't alert any enemies. I did lock it in the room with the last underground entrance while I was underground the last two times though, but for the last two sets of dudes it didn't alert them and I got through the rest and got the commendation no problem after replaying. Trophy popped for half the commendations and everything. Drone didn't screw me at all. And I've found ways around the other stealths that had drones without destroying them and instead hacking them.

And it did say to kill the guy after the second power cell and then hack the turret (which I know now you meant drone). It was an error and you meant drone but it did say turret (which had me second guessing but was too late for me to reload since I had already grabbed the third cell).

EDIT: Just wanted to say that the guide was excellent. Besides the two parts that had me questioning things the rest where quite easy. Got the commendations trophies all on hard single player. Wasn't too bad really, even had the Vulcan phaser trophy pop before I bought the last three upgrades for it lol.

Something else I've noticed, for those going for stealth commendations on hard mode solo, you cannot destroy drones. Even one single shotgun blast immediately after stunning one automatically failed every stealth commendation I tried it on so far. I've had to hack them all to get through without failing the objective every time.

Some area's you have to be clever and have your AI companion hack a turret and immediately after the turret is hacked you have to stun the drone (before it gets in the line of sight of the turret) and hack it. I tried one shotting every drone immediately after stunning it and even if it killed it I still failed the stealth objective.

On lower difficulties maybe its different.

Edited by snake2410

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Emerge from underground and take out the newly spawned enemy and drone (destroy the drone - do not hack it). Now use another floor panel, go underground and remove the 2nd power cell. Checkpoint reached.

This section is wrong. The drone doesn't spawn until you removed the 2nd battery cell.

• 5 months later...

Is there a way to check which optional objectives I already did so I don't have to replay all of them but can do the missing ones via chapter select instead?

Also, can I switch characters now that I beat the game on hard and won't lose my progress? The stealth sections would be easier with Kirk as the guide explains, but I played as Spock before and don't want to lose what I unlocked.

• 4 months later...

I found a much easier way to complete: Frontier Starbase > Search for a cure part 1.

This method does only require taking down 3 guards and 1 drone. No need to worry about the turrets at all.

Take out the two initial guards and the destroy the drone.

Wait until the 2 guards in the next room starts to move away, one down the hallway and the other further inside the room to the right. Then move inside the room to the right and go around the guard on the right side. Wait until he moves away and then boost up.

In the vent take the left path. Drop down into the room and move out until you see a guard standing outside a small room. Take him out, move into the room, open the hatch above and boost up.

Go through another vent, drop down and wait for the guard in there to move away. Go to the jammed door and pry it open and you're done.

• 1 year later...