-Offline: 12 (1(G), 4(S), 7(B))

-Online: 0

-Approximate amount of time to 100%: 4-5 hours

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1

-Missable trophies: 1 - Modal

-Glitched trophies: None

-Cheats: None

Introduction:

Star Raiders is a remake of the classic Atari 8-bit game of the same name. It was originally released in 1979 and was one of the first space combat simulation games, inspiring many other classics of the genre.

Fast forward to 2011. This new version will probably not be a classic, nor will it inspire any future genre classics. However, it's good simple fun which those who like classic games and gameplay from the early era of gaming will certainly enjoy. And the trophies aren't too hard either. Once you get used to the slew of controls and modes that bombard you in the first few missions, you'll start having some fun.

Roadmap:

Step 1: Get the Hang of the Game

This step is entirely optional. When I first played this game I found the controls utterly confusing. This is because each tutorial forces you into a different transformation mode and the controls are different between each. It's a lot of info to assimilate right away. So I personally would suggest playing through the tutorials and the first couple of missions just to get the hang of the game and controls, not worrying much about trophies. Once you understand what's going on, create a new game and start over. You won't waste more than a half hour in this.

Step 2: Do Everything

Play the game all the way through. You can get all trophies on your first playthrough, as long as you make sure you do the Modal trophy, which is missable because Story Missions are locked after you exit them. There are plenty of salvage credits throughout the game for the upgrades. You will need to particularly focus on Bully and Kingpin, but they are easy. You may have to do a little credit farming, but everything else will come naturally as you play through the game.

Edited by Vyrastas

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/775/01.jpg Pilot (B)

Obtain the rank of Pilot

Story-related, cannot be missed. See Star Raider! for more info.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/775/02.jpg Warrior (B)

Obtain the rank of Warrior

[/url]http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/775/03.jpg Commander (B)

Obtain the rank of Commander

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/775/04.jpg Star Commander (B)

Obtain the rank of Star Commander

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/775/05.jpg Star Raider! (G)

Complete the main storyline

Story-related, cannot be missed. The "main storyline" means the main story missions, i.e. any mission that ends in A. These are the missions that either have a cutscene or Admiral Lin giving some background before the mission. For each sector there are 3 missions (A, B, C) and the next sector will unlock when you complete at least 2 missions from the previous sector. So you don't have to play every mission to get through the game, though I recommend you do at the beginning to get credits and do the other trophies.

The rank trophies are given as you go through the game. You don't have to do anything special to attain each rank, you automatically get them after completing certain missions. Below is a list of each story mission and where you earn each rank trophy.

Story Missions:

1A – Ares Major

2A – Ares Minor = Pilot

3A – Capra Trade Route

4A – Simerian Comet Cloud

5A – Sardius Worm Hole = Warrior

6A – Planet Hermake

7A – Quagmire Nebula = Commander

8A – Eris Corridor

9A – Planet Hermake = Star Commander

10A – Planet Isos = Star Raider!

Most of the levels are very easy. A couple can be a pain, namely 4A, 5A and 10A, as the game doesn't always explain exactly what you need to do. Below are some tips for the problem missions.

Mission 4A

In this one, you have to get a key in order to remove the force fields blocking the entrances to the mining asteroid. Destroy all the stuff on the surface of the asteroid and search by one of the structures - you'll find the key floating underneath one. Grab it and go into the asteroid. It's very easy to get lost in these tunnels, just search around for side passages, as the item you need to get (forget the name, exactly) is not visible in plain view. It took me some 10 minutes to find... just keep searching and you'll eventually find it.

Mission 5A

You have to find Rapture parts, but you must first destroy housings on the space structure to reveal them. In order to do that, you need to use an EMP on a generator so that the housings are targetable. The "generators" are the blue tanks on the ends of the structure. There are four of them. Use :down: on the D-pad to use an EMP. To pick up the Rapture parts when the housings are destroyed, fly over them.

Mission 10A

This one is a pain. The first part is easy - destroy the generators (like those on a Frigate or Cruiser) to open up the tunnel into the core. Then you must wind your way through a sequence of tunnels on the way to the core. Shoot the fans to stop and destroy them so you can pass. Some tunnels will have larger spinning fans that cannot be destroyed and have very narrow openings to pass through - use Attack Mode and speed through them.

Tunnels will open into large caves where there will be some enemies. Be careful not to get killed until you get to the final cave where the large machine is - if you get killed before that you respawn outside the planet and have to go through all the tunnels again. Also be careful not to get confused on which way to go after fighting enemies in a cave. A good way to remember the right direction is that the lava will be flowing towards the core, so follow the lava.

In the last cave, you can safely die and you'll respawn there. Destroy the machine. You have to "bomb" the core at this point but the game doesn't tell you how. It took me forever to figure out that you just have to fly into the core to bomb it. :rolleyes: You'll then have 3 minutes to get the hell out of the place before it explodes. Use Attack Mode because it's the fastest and ignore enemies. There will be explosions obscuring your view, but they won't harm you. Once you get out and the objective is complete, the trophy will pop.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/775/06.jpg Arms Dealer (S)

Buy all of the weapon upgrades and android co-op pilots

You buy weapon upgrades or android co-op pilots on the Solaris, which is your home base. To return to the Solaris during a mission, press :select: and then :triangle: - this will quit the mission and return you to the galactic map, stats and upgrade screens. You also have the option to buy stuff between missions.

To get this trophy you need to buy all 32 upgrades and androids, plus rescue the Brain android at the end of Mission 9A. If you buy everything before Mission 9A, the trophy won't pop until after you rescue Brain.

You buy things with salvage credits, which you get by destroying enemies or little asteroids that float around space during each mission. You will need about 128,000 credits to purchase everything, but don't fret, once you get to Sector 4 and beyond, credits come easier, so it's very easy to get this with just a little farming.

Don't spend time shooting all the little 50 credit asteroids before leaving an area, it's a waste of time. Play through the game and do your farming in Mission 5A. Stay in that sector after completing the main objectives (press :circle: to remain when you get the "mission complete" screen). Three Zylon advanced fighters will continuously spawn and circle the large space station. Stay in Turret Mode and take them out when they circle near you. They give 350 credits each, so with this method you can get 1,050 credits every 10 seconds or so. Quick and easy cash... stay there until you have enough credits to get all the upgrades and androids. Shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes.

Another good area to get a lot of credits is Mission 7A, where the asteroids are blue and are "fuel" you must destroy as part of the mission objectives. These will give you 300 credits per, so destroy all of those if you still need credits by then.

Edited by Tuffinz
editorial sweep

[/url]http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/775/07.jpg Modal (S)

Score a fighter kill in each transformation in every Story Mission

This trophy is missable! Once you complete and leave a Story Mission, it's locked and you cannot return to it. So make sure you do this as you go through the story or you will have to restart from the beginning.

This has to be done on a single save file – you can't switch between saves.

The Story Missions are those that end in an A for each sector. The mission type will just be "Mission X" and there will be a cutscene or Admiral Lin giving some background before the mission. For this trophy you must destroy a Zylon fighter while in each transformation mode in each Story Mission.

The transformation modes are:

- Attack Mode

- Assault Mode

- Turret Mode

You use :l1: to switch between modes.

See Star Raider! for a list of the 10 Story Missions in the game. I would suggest you manually track the three transformation kills for each Story Mission as you play through the game. Do a couple kills in each transformation just in case. And make sure the kills are Zylon fighters! Turrets and things like that don't count.

The trophy will pop as soon as you make your final mode kill towards the trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/775/08.jpg Zylon Collector Master (B)

Shoot down 50 Zylon Fighters

See Zylon Collector Legend for more info.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/775/09.jpg Zylon Collector Legend (S)

Shoot down 100 Zylon Fighters

Zylon Fighters are the basic enemy fighters you come up against, from the tutorial levels onwards. Just keep playing the game and you will eventually kill 100 fighters, it's not hard at all. You'll probably get it by the time you get to the 3rd sector.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/775/10.jpg Turret Expert (B)

Destroy 30 Zylon fighters in Turret mode

Turret Mode is one of the transformation options you have available to you. This is the mode where your ship remains in one place and functions like a turret.

Kill 30 Zylon fighters while in this mode to get the trophy. Move to where a group of fighters are constantly circling and switch to Turret Mode. Target them and generally they will just fly straight towards you. Once within 2km you will automatically target them. Hold down :r2: to take them out quickly with your light weapon.

Since you need to kill fighters in Turret mode regularly for the Modal trophy, and use it to farm credits in Mission 5A, this shouldn't be too hard to get.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/775/11.jpg Bully (B)

Destroy a Zylon Frigate without destroying any of its weapons

See Kingpin for more info.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/775/12.jpg Kingpin (S)

Destroy a Zylon Cruiser without destroying any of its weapons

This is pretty easy. When you start a mission, it will tell you if there's a Zylon Frigate or Cruiser you need to destroy. The majority of missions are untimed, so you can do this on virtually any mission that features a Frigate or Cruiser. It's generally best just to do this the first time you run across one of these ships just to get it out of the way.

For a Frigate or Cruiser, are two different things you can target on it, which I will call turrets and generators. Turrets, obviously, are guns that shoot at you. Generators are large green cylinders that rise up from the surface of the ship for a brief period of time. Here is what one looks like:

NYFcx0J.jpg

Only when the glowing cylinder portion of the generator is exposed (as seen in the pic) can you damage and destroy it. When it retracts, you have to wait about 3-5 seconds for it to rise up again. In order to get this trophy, you need to destroy all the generators on the ship without destroying any of the turrets.

Frigates have 8 generators. Cruisers have 12 generators.

All you need to do is fly close to the ship (within 1-2 km of the targets) and change to Assault Mode. In Assault Mode you'll just hover there and you can easily target the generators and shoot them with your light weapon :l2: when they are exposed. Use :triangle: to cycle through targets and then :square: to ensure that you are locked onto a generator. Just be careful once you destroy a generator that you don't accidentally lock onto a turret and keep firing (you don't want to destroy any of those).

Move around the ship and methodically take out all the generators. You'll move slowly and will be a sitting duck for turrets and fighters, but it's no big deal as you respawn forever. Take your time and the trophy will soon be yours. If you're having trouble, kill some of the other Zylon Turrets and Fighters that are scattered around the level first.

Edited by Terminator
Replaced a missing image.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Hey Vy, old game is old, but I was considering picking it up, and wanted to ask - you mention story missions multiple times in the guide and lay out which these are.

So my question is... are there non-story missions as well? If so, are they mandatory to play for the trophies?

Thanks bud. :)

Yes, non-story, and no you don't need to do all the missions to get all the trophies.

Yes, non-story, and no you don't need to do all the missions to get all the trophies.

Awesome thanks for the info. I was thinking I'll play it pretty soon. I saw its not reviewed very well, but I think I might enjoy it based on what I've seen. And at $5 whats the harm amirite?

I'll be using your guide for sure, so thanks for writing it up forever ago. :)

Awesome thanks for the info. I was thinking I'll play it pretty soon. I saw its not reviewed very well, but I think I might enjoy it based on what I've seen. And at $5 whats the harm amirite?

I'll be using your guide for sure, so thanks for writing it up forever ago. :)

Hey no problem. I thought the game was decent, the learning curve is just sharp at the beginning with three 3 different schemes.