Star Ocean: The Last Hope International

Tri-Ace working on Star Ocean 5 with enhanced graphics ?

great news if it's confirmed ...

tri-Ace working on unannounced game using ASKA Engine

In an article analyzing tri-Ace’s ASKA Engine, which is seen Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, and Resonance of Fate, the developer mentions an unannounced game is using the engine. ASKA stands for tri-Ace Superlative Knowledge-based Architecture.

The game began development in 2009, but tri-Ace have not revealed the title. The game is using a second generation version of the ASKA Engine – which means it should perform better than the already released tri-Ace games.

In late February, tri-Ace director Yakayushi Suguro mentioned that “new Star Ocean” may be in development. This could possibly be the game that tri-Ace is talking about here.

Though the main guy behind Star Ocean said, specifically, that SO4 would be the final Star Ocean title, so I don't know.

If there will be a SO5, then hopefully this time they will not implement battle trophies, and they will actually hire people that write their script/dialog/story. Not some goat from the local petting zoo. If not, I don't think I'll be getting it.

i read one of the forums saying that a magazine talking about the industry of video-game interview of Takayushi Suguro aka Tri-Ace director. Asked about SEGA publishing Resonnance of Fate and not Square-Enix. And he said ' But it's not like if Square Enix had lost Tri-Ace for ever they'll have the new Star Ocean after Resonance of Fate is out. '

I don't know why they are trying for another SO game, after last hope sold so badly.

Don't get me wrong, I love the SO series (even 4) but it's about time they bust out a next gen Valkyrie profile. That game has so much potential. Instead of re-hashing the same SO game with different crappy story, they should work on VP2.

My opinion. Hrist needs her time to shine dammit!:mad:

I don't know why they are trying for another SO game, after last hope sold so badly.

The Last Hope is still the best selling game in Japan for the 360. (Source: Microsoft Xbox 360 japanese ranking )

It didn't sell quite so well HERE, but it still wasn't BAD. They miscalculated making it for the 360 only at first, though. It would have sold even better in Japan if it were made for the PS3 first.

And yes, I'd love another Valkyrie Profile game.

Edited by vexacion

The Last Hope is still the best selling game in Japan for the 360. (Source: Microsoft Xbox 360 japanese ranking )

It didn't sell quite so well HERE, but it still wasn't BAD. They miscalculated making it for the 360 only at first, though. It would have sold even better in Japan if it were made for the PS3 first.

And yes, I'd love another Valkyrie Profile game.

Lol, you are correct. Best selling in japan on 360. So, that means 8 out of all 10 japanese 360 owners bought it lol. Just kidding

I tried looking around for more info on a new SO game coming, and all I saw was SO4 being the last in the series......

Either way, can it be VP3 tiem nao?

They miscalculated making it for the 360 only at first, though. It would have sold even better in Japan if it were made for the PS3 first.

@vexacion : they didn't miscalculate ... Microsoft gave them a lot of money to make it a 1 year exclusive :D

@Blood_Runs_Cold : New "Star Ocean" in development - Xbox360Achievements.org ;)

Though the main guy behind Star Ocean said, specifically, that SO4 would be the final Star Ocean title, so I don't know.

If there will be a SO5, then hopefully this time they will not implement battle trophies, and they will actually hire people that write their script/dialog/story. Not some goat from the local petting zoo. If not, I don't think I'll be getting it.

The battle trophies are great. What is flawed is the ridiculous system that doesn't allow progress for trophies to carry over to other games. While killing 30000 enemies twice would have still been a pain, it would have made far more sense if it was to happen over the course of 5 playthroughs, instead of 1. This is definitely true for the stupid "Win 200 solo Colosseum battles."

The dialogue could use some (major) improvement, but the plot points themselves are fine. Travel through space, explore planets, kill things: I can take that. Seeing a whimpering supposed captain throughout multiple cutscenes, on the other hand...

I think the battle trophy would be equally effective if it was 10,000 kills. Especially if it's just one out of 900. I just don't find grinding enjoyable, so naturally I vote against those, lol.

If something takes long; fine. If something takes long because I have to repeat the exact same macro about 40,000 times? No. Then it becomes mind-numbing and without any form of intelligence. Getting 255 -ology drops, fighting 200 Colosseum battles or killing 30,000 enemies in one playthrough feels like a factory job for me - devoid of all enjoyment.

I think the battle trophy would be equally effective if it was 10,000 kills. Especially if it's just one out of 900. I just don't find grinding enjoyable, so naturally I vote against those, lol.

If something takes long; fine. If something takes long because I have to repeat the exact same macro about 40,000 times? No. Then it becomes mind-numbing and without any form of intelligence. Getting 255 -ology drops, fighting 200 Colosseum battles or killing 30,000 enemies in one playthrough feels like a factory job for me - devoid of all enjoyment.

That. The 30,000 kills is insane and there is no reason its should be that high considering you won' reach anywhere near that amount though normal play. The -ology drops are the same especially as 3 of the characters you have to suffer a painfully low drop rate for no reason. It isn't so bad for the ones that can farm geostones as they surve a purpose. Why its 200 solo colosseum is stupid as well, it would of made sence for it to be reach number 1 but just winning them is meant to be a grind.

I hope they do put BTs in the game if it is a new SO and even if they do put stupid requirements for them at least give me the option to veiw the progress of each BT. Its so annoying not knowing how many times ive done x thing x amount of times.

Why its 200 solo colosseum is stupid as well, it would of made sence for it to be reach number 1 but just winning them is meant to be a grind.

I've just finished the "Win 200 Colosseum battles" with all characters (except Faize). It took OVER 3 HOURS per character (!) The real challenge was to not fall asleep because of repeating the same actions again and again during 3 hours, and pressing :cross: :cross: :cross: to pass the lengthy and useless dialogs of the presentator/receptionnist :facepalm: First time I fell asleep twice (no joke), next times I put the alarm clock :D Now I'm very happy that I'm done with these battles :) I'm not looking back :)

• 1 year later...

Star Ocean 4 is one of the best parts of all Star Oceans, the second one and the 4th one are the best ever. I love battle trophys and i hope that they'll contenue to work on them and my biggest hope and wish is that they make the 5th part for Xbox 360 if not then i won't be able to buy this game.

Oh I hope it gets confirmed, well I hope it gets made xD I played the 3rd, LOVED it - then 4, it was good then finally 1 and 2 and really enjoyed them - I'm just a fan of the series in general ^-^ Though.. a PS3 update of the first would be epic - who doesn't wanna see Mavelle in 3 dimensions?

I'll plat this game by the time number 5 comes out lol Hopefully it will be lax on the BT this time around or at least make them ALL GOLD trophies to equal the difficultly of it :p

I'd like to see a return to battle trophies like Star Ocean 3. They weren't as numerous but more skill/stat dependent then a lot of the nonsense in this game and they still took a while to get.