Star Ocean: The Last Hope International

Sorrow & Relief Thread: How far are you in?

OI think this thread is a good idea. It gives everyone the chance to tell about their current status of Star Ocean, no matter what, Battle Trophies, Sidequests, Bunny Racing, Playthroughs, et cetera and talk about their currently last experiences.

Maybe the forum is not that lively at the moment, however I have seen that still enough people play this game so I am sure there will be others who take a look at this place.

Platinumized after about 5 months and 575 hours on Saturday, January 25th 2014.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Submitters who did it:

• (P) bobthecrazydog
    Platinum gotten: December 13th 2013
  • (P) Cetra
    Platinum gotten: January 25th 2014
  • (P) FirexDark
    Platinum gotten: January 29th 2014
  • (P) ludist210
    Platinum gotten: August 27th 2014
  • (P) NOIR1013
    Platinum gotten: August 29th 2014
  • (P) reflexs1ghts
    Platinum gotten: December 17th 2014
  • (P) nimrod
    Platinum gotten: February 24th 2015
  • (P) Brightblade
    Platinum gotten: March 13th 2016
  • (P) Oblivionens
    Platinum gotten: December 2nd 2016
  • (P) x410xDragon
    Platinum gotten: February 11th 2017
  • (P) Mizztec
    Platinum gotten: April 23th 2017
  • (P) Alindawyl
    Platinum gotten: January 27th, 2018

• (P) JayK
    Platinum gotten: January 7th 2018 - PlayStation 4
  • (P) x410xDragon
    Platinum gotten: February 21th 2021 - PlayStation 4

______________________________________________________________________________________

I'm starting with my post.

Galaxy (80h):

• Normal Playthrough
  • Endings
  • Some Battle Trophies
  • Generally learning and enjoying the game for the first time

Earth (235h):

• Faize's trophies (~90% done first, later the 100%)
  • A good chunk of Battle Trophies in general, I collected to 75%, also Edge's Hunting trophies, as well as finished some type drops
  • Some sidequests were done, a good amount of equipment was saved, and a bit over 20% of the items were smithed
  • Missable treasures were collected and Arumat's save game was used for sidequests, treasure chests, and the other Battle Trophies

2.0 (240h - ~20h as they are from the copied file and not played anew):

• Taking a break from Earth 1.0
  • Collected all Treasure Chests
  • Collected all weapons
  • Smithed all the items
  • Did all Quests
  • Did all Bunny Racings
  • did the type drops, Mattie's huntings and other Battle Trophies including the Coloseum
  • Finished the Ultimate Battler

Universe (12h):

• Shifted between this for story and Earth 2.0. especially for Mattie's hunting trophies
  • Playthrough

Chaos (~26h):

• Fun Story Playthrough, also with a Let's Play

Details:

- Blindside Armaros, attack him then and also with Faize's fast rapier attacks.
    - Get a monster jewel from Faize and give it as Ash Jewel to Edge. Then train on Lemuris to LV 10-12 until you fight the Dragon Newt (on the Ice Lake side there is another Monster Jewel, thanks to Brightblade for pointing out)
    - Get Pickpocketing and the Thief Glove; be sure to buy at least a Torch Bow for Reimi, get the Blessed Sword for Edge and at least two Fire Gems, then forge the Flame Sword and take Faize's second jewel with the glove, give it as Ash Jewel to Reimi
    - In the Celestial Ship give HP Boost to Edge and increase it to + 2500 HP or more, continue with that once possible, you need the HP
    - Defeat Barachiel with Blindsides and core attacks
    - Get the Monster Gem on Arcturus
    - Use Bacchus with his Missiles, give him a Spriggan Jewel - Bacchus is a beast in those runs
    - Sahariel can be dodged by running behind him, then run away - stay in mid-range to still reach him - and attack the core when he charges
    - Alternate Earth is easy with Bacchus
    - On Roak train Edge, Faize, Bacchus and someone else to about Level 40 outside of Tropp with the Treants, Buy Abilities for your team, also get the Monster Gem in Astral
    - Get the Ancient Cannon right before Tamiel
    - Destroy Tamiel with Termination
    - Destroy the Phantoms on Aeos with Bacchus' Missiles and Termination
    - Use Mattie with Faize's Level
    - End Team: Edge, Mattie, Bacchus, Sarrie
    - Use Fresh Sages and maybe Anti-Silence Amulets for Armaros, use Blindsides, Bacchus and Mattie rule the field for you
    - Same for Kokabiel, also buy Abilities for your team
    - And the Final Boss, train in the Palace, Black Hole makes training easier, Level 60 is good
    - recharge the Light Ring for Edge's sword in the Palace, get Bacchus Cannon there, Sarrie's Spear and synth a good weapon fo Arumat and give him the ATK Boost Ability, don't forget Healing Items

http://imageshack.com/a/img542/2844/pzi8.jpg

Battle Trophies: 900

For anybody having trouble with the EQ:

ULTIMATE BATTLER COMPLETE: Wednesday, January 15th 2014

- I am done with 30000 enemies for Edge,

I also didn't focus on that trophy all the time but get some of Edge's kills during Edge's drops (done already), Bacchus drops (done already) and Meracle's (done already)] (not that bad if done for only 1, max. 2 hours, about 3 at the most when done during collecting drops, still boring and long, also started watching Detective Conan during them)

- Arumat's 30000 Huntings (shifting with Universe, watching Detective Conan)

- I have defeated all enemies in time (10 hours for that Queen! no one told me she was such a loser! she can't defeat me, the way to her is the most preposterous thing and the execution of the trophy in the battle itself is also not that great, okay once you know when to use it but I have had to find out by spending, no, wasting 10 hours! seriously, wasting six hours for 2 runs and failures is torture!)

- I have slain 55 Grigori with Faize (I thought that it was a bit of a fun, actually)

- I have gathered all type drops (boring! I watched Detective Conan most of the time)

- Taunted the Queen and Gabe

- Faize's 3000 battles, Myuria 10 hours - both are done pretty easily but at least I don't need to use them all the time now, Faize was in my team for most of the time

- all Coliseum battles

- 999-1000 of all types

- Edgie, Merry and Mattie's 3000 Blindsides

- Edgie and Merry's 200000 Hits

- all defeat 100 in stat x trophies, also Sarah's 100 pumpkin trophy

- Sarah's jumps completely and Lymle rolling forward (Lymle did not need that much time)

- Sarah's revivals

- Reimi's 3 x 99 cures

- the exact damage trophies

- Fury trophies, attack 100x with something, Merry's steal x times, et cetera

wasters.

Tell me your progress, please. Those who are done can talk about their experience as well. Just not exactly like that, of course. After all you're done already.

My PS4 progress:

• Edge's 30000 hunts
  • defeat the ethereal angel and gabriel celeste and ash ketchum in 10 minutes
  • Bacchus, Meracle and Edge's 255 drops
  • some defeat 999 fire, grass, water pokémon type battle trophies
  • Edge's hits and blindsides
  • almost all deal exact damages
  • Sarrie's 999 revives
  • over half of Sarrie's jumps
  • Reimi's spell interrupts as well as her crits
  • several heal status and defeat enemy in status battle trophies
  • a bunch of defeat x enemies with move batle trophies
  • a bunch of coliseums battle trophies
Edited by Cetra

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I am doing difficult parts of BT's.

Last BT for Edge: 30,000 kills ( Close to 30,000 kills )

Aramut: 30,000 kills ( around 8,000 kills )

Faize: 55 Grigori and 3000 battles.

Lymle: Defeat EQ for 10 minutes ( accident killed her with Aramut with dragon roar )

Meracle: 255 rare drop item ( close to 255 rare drop if I remember )

Bacchus, Lymle and Aramut: Deal exactly damage.

I only have done Reimi 100%, other characters are at 90%+ but only Faize at around 70%. Only 68 Battle Trophies left to get (S) Ultimate Battler trophy.

Playthrough lefts: (S) Universe ( for (B) Faize ending too I hope ), (G) chaos and doing all (S) quests again on Galaxy. Total hours of playtime: 380+ hours I think.

Edited by MageOfHealing

Which kind of difficult Battle Trophies are completed already? The others are close, except Mattie's, of course. Or are you done with Faize's Grigori and Battles? Since there is nothing explained like with the others.

I am really glad I have done some of the most time consuming and boring ones already and when I have done Edge's 30000 I am pretty much done since I don't mind mind making Arumat's.

EDIT: You answered the opposite but never mind.

Edited by Cetra

I didn't complete defeat EQ under 10 minutes, Meracle 255 rare item drop, Edge and Aramut 30,000 kills and deal exactly damage for Bacchus, Lymle and Aramut.

I didn't complete Faize Grigori and 3000 battles but i'm at Gabriel Celeste boss in seven star dungeon on Galaxy difficulty.

Aramut takes less time to defeat 30,000 enemies than Edge defeat 30,000 enemies.

I'm putting this game on hold since there's been some recently released games that demand my attention, but once I'm nearing the 100th (P) mark, I'll definitely return to finish this one off.

I'm currently in my Universe playthrough and will do most of the BTs there. I'll probably do an Earth run for Faize's BTs and possibly the kill Ethereal Queen in 10 minutes BT. I missed a few endings as well so I'll make sure I get those right in my Chaos playthrough.

Last time I played I was grinding out some of the coliseum BTs and farming Edge's drops at the Palace of Creation. I already unlocked the Gabriel battle but I haven't fought him yet, will probably do that when I pick the game up again.

As far as BTs go I've already done most of the lower "deal exactly X damage" ones and the movement-based ones like jump 5555 times.

Edited by greenzsaber

For battle trophies I'm down to 102 left. Most of the remaining ones are boring but easy ones, like coliseum battles and ology drops. I've still got 55 Grigori for Faize, and his shadow, but they've got good gear on my Earth playthrough so the hard part is already done. Gabe dies fast and they're nowhere near ultimate gear.

Everything else is on my Galaxy playthrough. Sarah is 100% done and Edge 98%. Just got 1000 blindsides and 200 coliseum battles left for him. The others are 85-90% done. All the exact damage ones are done. Still have Arumat's kills, every one of those trophies, since I didn't use him much for the longest time. But they'll go fast. I have a turbo controller and will use it for Arumat just like I did for Edge.

I haven't killed EQ yet (yes on Xbox but let's not go there), but could any time now. Everyone on my Galaxy playthrough is in ultimate gear with max HP and max DEF, plus max ATK for melee or max INT for casters. But I still don't have her trophy, or the weapon and monster data trophies. The only missing monster data is her, and the only missing weapon data is the weapons crafted using her feathers. Which means I'm still missing Welch's item creation trophy too, but only the items I need to kill EQ to make. Once I kill her five times and get the Tri-Emblem recipe from Santa, there go those trophies.

And I still need to beat the game on Chaos. Universe is done though.

Star Ocean has had to take a back seat to multiplayer games for a while now. I've been trying to knock out the multiplayer trophies on everything I've got with multiplayer trophies that's more than two years old, before the PS4 launches. Getting close now; down to less than half a dozen games.

Doing all that stuff on XBox deserves probably the most respect. All that switching DVDs. Urgh, heh.

I can't take true credit for it as I don't own and don't ever wish to own an Xbox 360. I am just an "advisor". I won't have any problem doing it on the PS3 once I finally get around to fighting EQ, but haven't actually held the controller myself to defeat her.

Back when I started college in 1988 and Ultima V first came out, I "played" it with a roommate who had an IBM PC and the game. He sat in front of the computer and did the actual work of defeating the Shadowlords and Lord Blackthorn, while I observed and "advised".

So let's not go there. And I feel dirty even mentioning Xbox :p

But it did mean I had extensive files on item creation that I used to gear up my party in ultimate gear on my Galaxy playthrough. That was rather helpful.

Edited by Alindawyl

I've been playing the game for something like 3 years now on and off and am finally on the last three battle trophies before platinum. Unfortunately those three are the two 30,000 kills ones and the 10 minute EQ kill for Lymle ;p

I'm actually finding the Edge kills one not too bad but the Arumat one sends me to sleep...gotten through quite a few films trying to push through the boredom.

I've racked up a fair few hours...60 on Galaxy for first playthrough when I didn't bother about trophies, then 320 so far on Universe which I am using for battle trophies run, 120 on Chaos which I used for Faize run and some other bits. Then just need to do a speed Earth run for Lymle-EQ...I guess I may well finish on 600 hours altogether once I'm done. But man I will be seriously chuffed when I get there :)

Each to his own, Bob but I would never do that as the last part.

EDIT (November 2nd, 2013):

Over 10 Bird drops for Meracle, I think and then Freezer came.

This sucks.

Did exactly the same to me with the Meracle drops - I planned to save every 20 drops...got to 19 and then it froze...I think it has a sadistic streak. Much like me and doing this game all wrong...should have done an Earth run from the beginning...oh well.

Lymle-100 seemed like a good way to aim to end the game for me. I know not sensible perhaps time-wise, but thought it would be a great plat to get the instant after killing EQ in record time rather than after spamming kills and barely noticing...I think maybe I have been playing this too long? :D

I also would not want to get the platinum after 30000 defeated enemies. I rather get it after doing the last few easy Battle Trophies (which will happen for Ultimate Battler anyway) or with another Trophy in general, preferably Chaos Conqueror or something. That seems nice to me. A final playthrough which I can enjoy and get the platinum trophy afterwards.

Edited by Cetra

I bought a turbo controller just to get the two 30K kill battle trophies. It turned out to be rather useful for a few other battle trophies as well. I've also used it for trophies in several other games, such as the online trophies for Street Fighter IV and BlazBlue, singing songs in modes I don't care for in Singstar, the Soul Calibur V trophy for moving a total of 87,000 meters while in battle, the Royal Flush trophy for High Stakes on the Vegas Strip Poker, etc.

I don't think of myself as lazy. I think of myself as being very time efficient :whistle:

My last battle trophy will probably be 200 solo coliseum wins for Bacchus. He's my least favorite character to use in battle. I've got six BTs left for him, and five of them are the coliseum trophies. Using him in battle is just atrociously monotonous. I've got the 255 ology drops left to do for him (got tired of farming them in the Cardianon Mothership on my earth playthrough at around 190 and decided to get the rest later in Nox), but for those I can just let the other characters in the party rip apart bots in Nox in one hit.

I also would not want to get the platinum after 30000 defeated enemies. I rather get it after doing the last few easy Battle Trophies (which will happen for Ultimate Battler anyway) or with another Trophy in general, preferably Universe Conqueror or something. That seems nice to me. A final playthrough which I can enjoy and get the platinum trophy afterwards.

I'm with you there, Cetra. My final trophy for the plat will be the one for completing the game on Chaos difficulty. I want to close the book on this chapter of Star Ocean while playing the game for real.

Did a few BTs this past weekend. Edge now only has one trophy left, 1000 blindsides. Sitting at 97 total remaining for 100%, so getting close to 90%. Five of the seven for the 90% will be the coliseum trophies for Reimi, because all she'll have left after that for her 100% are 999 plant kills (very close to getting those) and 255 ology drops (not very close to getting those).

I'm with you there, Cetra. My final trophy for the plat will be the one for completing the game on Chaos difficulty. I want to close the book on this chapter of Star Ocean while playing the game for real.

Did a few BTs this past weekend. Edge now only has one trophy left, 1000 blindsides. Sitting at 97 total remaining for 100%, so getting close to 90%. Five of the seven for the 90% will be the coliseum trophies for Reimi, because all she'll have left after that for her 100% are 999 plant kills (very close to getting those) and 255 ology drops (not very close to getting those).

This is pretty much what it will look like for me and I recommend to do something similiar to everyone who wants to have fun till the end of this game, in fact even then it gets repetetive but those do stuff so often tasks just bring that with them:

1. Galaxy playthrough

- regular playthrough (FUN)

- endings

- all missables collected and a save file before Faize leaves

2. Earth (all missables if the 3rd point of the Galaxy playthrough was not done, save before Faize leaves then)

- Battle Trophies for Faize/Arumat, some regular Battle Trophies and some time wasters (for me 30000 kills for Edge, 1000 Blindsides for him and Merry, 255 drops for him, her and Bacchus, 999 revivals, the defeat bosses trophies and some others)

3. Earth/depending on you being okay with the difficulty and no items missed during the old Galaxy file

- finish the item stuff

- other battle Trophies you could not get at 2. because of Faize/Arumat (for me Arumat's 30000 kills, his 1000 Blindsides and the other 255 drops)

- take a break from that after doing most time wasters (like half of them or half of everything, for example) and do 4.

4. Universe/bunny racing on an earlier file of Earth or Galaxy

- do the bunny races and take breaks between them by doing other Battle Trophies of 3. and vice-versa, end the Battle Trophies and the Bunny racing

5. Chaos

- regular and final playthrough (FUN, enjoy the finale of your own adventure and get the Platinum Trophy by ending this fantastic trip trough the chronologically first Star Ocean story)

Edited by Cetra

I've started this again but will probably put it down tomorrow once Guided Fate Paradox arrives. Started an Earth playthrough for Faize's BTs and am at the Cardianon ship. I got 20 of Bacchus's drops in there but after doing some Metal Scumbag farming to get everyone to 255 in Universe I probably have more drops in that file now than in my Earth one, so I might have to move on with my Earth run and just finish Bacchus's drops on Universe. Also managed to get the kill Gabe in under 10 minutes BT. I'll be finishing up most of the quests for the rest of the time I'll be playing this.

I'll probably cap off my platinum with Lymle-100. I'd like to periodically work on my Chaos run when kill farming gets boring, plus I'd like to get all the missable stuff in that run even though it's not strictly necessary for plat, so I won't be saving Chaos for last.

Thank god I am done with Edge's 30000 enemies! That means I am done. There are still time wasting things and many things to do but the greatest and most boring ones are finally finished so when it comes to that it is over now which means "it's done in general" for me. Nothing so tedious to worry about, the other long things are shorter and can be split up or handled better in general.

Sorry for the quality but I wanted to share my experience:

http://imageshack.us/a/img199/6248/1gsc.JPG

Now a break for a while and then my half-story-playthrough with Arumat, actually even from Roak since that is my closest save. Fun again. Then the other longer tasks afterwards and probably Universe during those.

What a Relief.

Edited by Cetra

I just defeated Ethereal Queen under 10 minutes with Lymle. Very amazing moment.

My team are:

Arumat

Edge

Lymle

Sarah

I only used Arumat against Ethereal Queen. I keep spamming with Dragon Roar and blindside. I put Edge, Lymle and Sarah Do Not Do Anything tactical. I used faint potion on Arumat and let Lymle defeat Ethereal Queen.

I just started this on Sunday, so I'm only a couple of hours in and only have one trophy (Abolished Armaros), but I've printed a bunch of checklists. I'm attempting to get the bulk of the trophies on my first playthrough. The battle trophies are going to give me fits, but so far, I've racked up quite a few with Reimi and Edge.

So...should I be worrying too much about battle trophies at this point? I haven't left Aeos, and I know that I can tinker with stats later in the game, and once my characters are higher level, I can just mop the floor with some enemies. My main concerns right now are treasures and item creation (and private actions, but I haven't encountered one yet).

I've been dreading this game because it looks to be a huge time suck, but I'm enjoying it so far. Maybe I'll actually finish a Star Ocean game now. (made it to disc 2 in both previous entries, but my memory cards corrupted)

Edited by ludist210

Never go higher in the Wandering Dungeon than necessary and split up the Wandering Dungeon Drops with the 999 kills. Use Arumat or Edge in the Dungeon instead so they get their kills and defeat Reimi, Lymle and Myruria's enemies first in an area with weaker enemies.

Edge

Humanoid's Disintegration Stone, Palace of Creation, Screen 1

Reimi

Plant's Geostone, Wandering Dungeon, Floor 1

Drops from Lemuris' mini forest (for 999 Plants)

Lymle

Undead's Geostone, Wandering Dungeon, Floor 6 or 7

Reaper's Lezard's Flask, Nox (use for 999 Undeads), also Ice Corpses in the Astral Cave and Skeleton Soldiers for 999 Undeads

Bacchus

Striker's MP Absorption Unit, Nox

Sarah

Kobold's All-Purpose Ceramic, Roak (SO EASY, ONLY DROP MAKING IT THE AUTOMATIC TOP AND RARE DROP BUT REGULARLY HIGH DROP CHANCE), use with Tornado for 999 Flying Enemies

Myuria

Demon's Geostone, Wandering Dungeon, Floor 2

Dark Matter's Crystal Skull, Lava Golem's Meteorite and Phantom Dragon Newts Red Dragon Scale (for 999 Demons), Nox - Palace in the floating rock area there is a platform with a Golem and two Newts

Mattie

Insect's Geostone, Wandering Dungeon, Floor 1

Edited by Cetra

Finally got through Edge's 30,000 as well now - what a marathon! Just another 10,000 kills or so for Arumat and then on to the fun runthrough for Lymle-100.

Glad I persevered with this, after some encouragement from Blaze and others and thanks to a lot of anime in keeping me sane while grinding, the end is in sight at last...!

• 2 weeks later...

I just made it through the Control Tower and Edge and crew (Reimi, Faize, Bacchus with Lymle on the bench) defeated Sahariel in the Control Tower (and got seven Battle Trophies in that battle alone). I've been using the guide and haven't missed any missable quests, spaceships, private actions, or treasures thus far (still need to knock out a couple of items with Faize that I need his help inventing though), and Faize hasn't killed any of the Grigori yet...ugh.

My goal is to knock out most of the trophies in my Galaxy playthrough, then knock out some of the others (like Faize's, since I don't think I can get Faize-100 in this playthrough) in Universe, then platinum it during my chaos playthrough. Good plan?

• Cetra changed the title to Sorrow & Relief Thread: How far are you in?