Table Tennis Tips?

mattybell2117

I hear everyone saying this is their favourite sport and i figure these people must be pretty good at it then. Can you help me/give me tips on how to fix my problems?;

-I can rarely hit those dinky lob shots the computer hits to me but I can hit the hard shots

-My serves are weak

-I cant hit a damn backhand shot except the occasional weak spin shot (I'm a righty btw)

Also, I find i can get at least a couple points when I'm not trying but as soon as I start getting some rhythm and start playing properly, I seem to suck :think:

I've accepted that I'm not great at disc golf but I can't fail at 2 sports. I know I'm not getting the platinum but I'd like to at least get all the bronze or maybe silver cups. Could I get some tips from the "pros"?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can play ok for real but don't like this one. Only played a round or two and didn't do great, meanwhile I'm been making very short work of bocce and disc golf. Archery isn't too hard either, haven't bothered with volleyball.

The one thing I noticed is since the Move is round it's tough to know when you're turning the paddle to hit higher/lower. Um, not sure exactly how else to explain it. Imagine you point the Move at the screen and twist. You'll see how the paddle turns. When you swing you want the flat side to hit the ball, don't swing the edge at it. (I don't know that was any clearer...)

I can play ok for real but don't like this one. Only played a round or two and didn't do great, meanwhile I'm been making very short work of bocce and disc golf. Archery isn't too hard either, haven't bothered with volleyball.

The one thing I noticed is since the Move is round it's tough to know when you're turning the paddle to hit higher/lower. Um, not sure exactly how else to explain it. Imagine you point the Move at the screen and twist. You'll see how the paddle turns. When you swing you want the flat side to hit the ball, don't swing the edge at it. (I don't know that was any clearer...)

I know what you mean with the paddle and you really have to try volleyball, its a ton of fun. I can beat silver cup on every event except table tennis and I have a bit of work for my silver in disc golf but its manageable. I just hardcore suck at table tennis, it's fucking impossible for me. Nothing I do works. Screw it, I'm going to play something else:mad:

I know what you mean with the paddle and you really have to try volleyball, its a ton of fun. I can beat silver cup on every event except table tennis and I have a bit of work for my silver in disc golf but its manageable. I just hardcore suck at table tennis, it's fucking impossible for me. Nothing I do works. Screw it, I'm going to play something else:mad:

Disc golf is easy since you can reload holes you do poorly on. I must have done that 20 times on the final gold cup match.

I'm still trying to get through the silver cup in table tennis. I seem to have the same issues

I'm kinda having the same problem, I was really good in the Bronze Cup in table tennis (I got all 33 stars with little difficulty) then I started Silver Cup and I suck. It seems like I'm doing the same things that worked for me in the Bronze Cup but its not working anymore.

What I think it is that there is some auto-aiming help in the bronze cup then they take it away without even mentioning it or giving you training to adjust to not having it. Its kinda like having the rug pulled out from underneath you and you have to relearn to play. It sucks but I think its just gonna take some practice to get it right.

I'm kinda having the same problem, I was really good in the Bronze Cup in table tennis (I got all 33 stars with little difficulty) then I started Silver Cup and I suck. It seems like I'm doing the same things that worked for me in the Bronze Cup but its not working anymore.

What I think it is that there is some auto-aiming help in the bronze cup then they take it away without even mentioning it or giving you training to adjust to not having it. Its kinda like having the rug pulled out from underneath you and you have to relearn to play. It sucks but I think its just gonna take some practice to get it right.

You're right, there is auto aiming help. It's there in volleyball too. The aiming gets more precise with each level. I'm on gold for table tennis now and there's zero margin for error. If I don't hit the shot perfectly, it goes off the table.

In volleyball, my serves started going out of bounds when I hit the gold cup. :)

If you look at the descriptions for the cups before you click on them, it tells you that bronze cup has shot assist, as well as ball trajectory and location assist. Silver removes some of that, and Gold, well you are on your own lol.

Its basically the same for most of the other events as well.

You're right, there is auto aiming help. It's there in volleyball too. The aiming gets more precise with each level. I'm on gold for table tennis now and there's zero margin for error. If I don't hit the shot perfectly, it goes off the table.

In volleyball, my serves started going out of bounds when I hit the gold cup. :)

Im about halfway through Silver Cup and I normally pick up about 5-7 of the 9 points strictly through aces. I aim them myself as well so hopefully Gold Cup will give me a little more freedom and be even better once I get used to it. :)

Don't be afraid to move around. Backhands are easier if they're further away from you, so do a sidestep away from it and then hit it.

The move can detect where in relation to the tv you are standing, so if you move closer to hit short shots, make sure you hit above your waist otherwise you'll hit the table and it will seem as if the ball just went straight through the paddle.

Move left or right to hit awkward shots.

Don't be afraid to move around. Backhands are easier if they're further away from you, so do a sidestep away from it and then hit it.

The move can detect where in relation to the tv you are standing, so if you move closer to hit short shots, make sure you hit above your waist otherwise you'll hit the table and it will seem as if the ball just went straight through the paddle.

I'm certain the distance from the TV is what's killing me. Unfortunately I have a couch behind me and a coffee table in front of me. Guess I'll have to start moving furniture each time I play

Im about halfway through Silver Cup and I normally pick up about 5-7 of the 9 points strictly through aces. I aim them myself as well so hopefully Gold Cup will give me a little more freedom and be even better once I get used to it. :)

Probably. I got much better at serving after playing through Gold cup. Pretty much every serve is on fire for me now, but aces are still more difficult because they get so good at returning serves.

Anyways, I played volleyball for a long time today - almost finished the champions cup, too - but my wrist is sore from serving/spiking. :(

anyone have any tips for the table tennis challenge? I played it twice and my best score is like 9K. I cant seem to get my backhanders to go where I want them consistently and the higher level bots seem to spit them that way.

When I play in real life I actually switch hands with the paddle and play with two forehands as Im ambidextrous. Im wondering if I can do the same thing with the move. :)

EDIT: Check that. Just tried again and slowed down a bit and was able to get 18K and the trophy. Woot.

Edited by Lamplitersniper

he's telling the truth :applause: to play at a higher level, you have to move around!!

for players that do play real table tennis, bear in mind that the bronze cup is heavily assisted. you'd better stand in still and smash it out until you get to the silver for a better simulation to the real sports. i got so used to the settings in the gold cup and now do horribly in the bronze cup cuz i moved around too much :think:

Probably. I got much better at serving after playing through Gold cup. Pretty much every serve is on fire for me now, but aces are still more difficult because they get so good at returning serves.

Anyways, I played volleyball for a long time today - almost finished the champions cup, too - but my wrist is sore from serving/spiking. :(

Any tips on how to do this? I had one serve on fire but it was an accident. I didn't know what I did. I did find that letting the ball drop more than I normally did, allowed me to give a faster serve.

Any tips on how to do this? I had one serve on fire but it was an accident. I didn't know what I did. I did find that letting the ball drop more than I normally did, allowed me to give a faster serve.

My first tip is actually what you said - I let the ball drop a little more than what seems natural, before I hit it.

Play around with your distance from the line. Try moving back a little more.

Finally, I flick my wrist/arm forward when hitting it. I also swing my arm pretty hard. Beware though, this gets tiring after a while. :)

My first tip is actually what you said - I let the ball drop a little more than what seems natural, before I hit it.

Play around with your distance from the line. Try moving back a little more.

Finally, I flick my wrist/arm forward when hitting it. I also swing my arm pretty hard. Beware though, this gets tiring after a while. :)

Gotcha. Thanks for the tips. My arm is already sore from me playing so I'll wait a couple days before I try again.

I have just won the gold cup 3 staring everything and my best tip is to play a lot of backhands and just go for rallies, the AI will mess up eventually. The key to getting 3 stars is having a big points margin. Using this method makes the table tennis very easy.

Even when I win 7 - 0 on the bronze cup I still only get 2 stars. So I think it takes more than just a big point spread.

The way I beat the last few opponents on Gold Cup was to play only backhand (as a righty) and just play what I like to call 'the return game' and simply wait until the make a mistake. If you see something that is easily smashable you have to take your chances. Kenji was hard, but after I started just backhanding everything he hit and putting topspin on everything I beat him fairly quickly. The Boss wasn't to bad after I beat Kenji either. Though that dang serve they do that is bairly over the net is rough. You just have to reach forward and return that and then catch back up with their next return.

If anyone has any good tips on how to beat the Champions cup, I would be glad to see them, as I have only go the the 4th opponent (Tatupa I believe) and can't get any further.

my biceps is killing me after trying to beat the gold cup in tt today! but i can say this, after beating the last guy in tt u dont need to win 2 in a row to get 3 stars, i won one set and lost another, then luckily one the last one..

Damn! i've never been so satisfied of winning a match !!