Something I noticed

ToxicMegacolon

After slogging through hours and hours of the same glitches, bugs, and crippled trophy unlocks most of the rest of you have experienced, I made what may be a rather significant discovery.

So it took me three full playthroughs to unlock the major problem trophies (we all know which ones they are), but I also noticed that I wasn't unlocking any of the "grind" trophies, such as "do x of this" and "do y of that". The strange thing is, after three full f'n playthroughs, I couldn't understand why I hadn't earned the trophies for shooting cameras and interrogations (I had easily surpassed the numerical requirement for both these). And then I figured something out...

I decided to just play one level (georgian defense) over and over again to farm the trophies, using only ONE save file (as opposed to using all four in rotation, which I did as a backup against mistakes). So I start the level, and go all the way to the driver, shooting 6 cameras along the way, and then interrogate him. Save to File1. Load the mission again. Go through and do the same thing. At the beginning of the fifth playthrough, the first camera I shoot earns me the trophy immediately (camera # 25), and then I also earn the interrogation immediately upon grabbing the driver (fifth time). So why the hell didn't I earn these two trophies already? Clearly the game was oblivious to the fact that over the course of three playthroughs I had shot about 70 cameras and interrogated about 13 people. It clearly didn't count even one of them in my earlier playthroughs.

So I'm wondering, does it have something to do with the four different save file spaces that you're provided? Maybe when you save to File 1, it logs all your stats to that particular File and then, once you progress further and save to File 2, it adds any additional stats accrued since the last save to that separate file. In other words, if I shoot 5 cameras, save to File 1, then go shoot 5 more and the save to File 2, the game records them as "File 1: 5 cameras shot, File 2: 5 cameras shot". And then, once one of those four files hits the magic number required for a trophy, it pops.

What do you all think? This is the only thing that makes sense to me, and it may also account for some of the "no alert", "no kills", and "no deaths" trophy issues people have been having.

Has everyone been rotating through the save files as they play through the game or are you sticking with one? Can anyone comment on this?

I've been having issues with the Cyber Warfare and Field Agent trophies, which require me to collect data sticks from 47 computers and pick the lock on 25 doors. I must have fulfilled the criteria for these trophies three times over by now, but they still haven't popped. I've been using the same save slot every time during my playthroughs and mission replays, and up till now, I've had no issues with trophies. Even the infamous Urban Legend popped first time for me.

I've been mainly replaying the CIA level, and netting myself 8 or 9 data sticks and 5 lockpicked doors per run, and I must have done this level 11 or 12 times by now, which would add up to nearly 100 data sticks and some 60 doors - and that's not even counting the 2 full playthroughs I've done on top of everything else. I've used the same save slot each time and had no problems with the other trophies, but these last two are really getting on my nerves. I love the game, but I just want to get it finished so I can move on to Pandora Tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Stewart,

I found the Georgian defense level to be a one stop shop for all the grind trophies. There are three computers/data sticks and one lockpick within about 45 seconds of starting the level. Download the sticks and pick the lock, save your game, and then load the same level again. Repeat. Took me about 35-40 minutes to earn both trophies.

I tried the CIA level and got frustrated with doing it over and over again. The second level really is a great resource for all the grind trophies.

Thanks - I'll give it a try later today. I've just done 3 more quick runs of the CIA level (on a different save slot this time), and netted myself another 27 data sticks and 15 doors as a result. So I'll load up the Defense Ministry, do what you suggested 10 or 12 times, and hopefully I'll FINALLY unlock these damn trophies. If it doesn't work, I really don't know what else I can do, other than send a very angry email to Ubisoft.... :mad:

EDIT - Got them both now. Had to delete my save and uninstall the game, then reinstall the game and start again. After replaying the opening area of the Defence Ministry level 22 times, I finally had the platinum.

Edited by StewartBros

• 1 year later...

Haven't had any problems with trophies on the disc version in this one, or Pandora, granted I thought there were times that some should've popped, & soon after, they did, but you've given me a possible solution for getting the Immune trophy in Chaos Theory. Sounds like a really great tip. I've tried everything else...

LL

• 3 months later...

To add something to this (even though it's a 2 years old thread) I think I know why there are trophy glitches in some games. The OP is correct, having the same file is extremely important to that. However, I think that you need to do the grind trophies AND the 4 important trophies (medkits, alerts, kills, deaths) in ONE session. Here's what I discovered:

I played my first run on Hard and I was perfect with no deaths, alerts, medkits and only 2 scripted kills. After each level I would go to the main menu and then to the XMB to back-up my save file. If I died or I got an alert sound off, I would delete my save data and copy the one in my USB stick. At the end of the playthrough I didn't get any of the four trophies.

Then at the same day after work I decided to do a speedrun on Normal without even quitting to the main menu. I died once, I got an alert and I reloaded a save, I didn't kill more than two people in every level and I didn't even pick any medkits and guess what.. all trophies unlocked!! Note that I only saved at the Save0 slot and I reloaded that and the Autosave, whereas on Hard I used all 4 save slots.

Now regarding the "grind trophies" I think the same happens. Today I reloaded the last save I had and then I started to get these trophies starting by the Camera one in the Defense Ministry level. During my last two playthroughs I should have around 15-18 cameras destroyed, so one run destroying all 9 cameras would be more than enough for the trophy. However, the trophy did not unlock until after I played the level a total of 3 times (27 cameras, it unlocked normally at the 25th one). I tried to get the 100 captures trophy, which should have already unlocked but to no avail.

So my theory is that some players facing these glitches will have to spend their time in a SINGLE session working their way for certain trophies and using the same save file along with the Autosave as the OP said. BTW I own the disc version with the patch downloaded and installed.

EDIT: Yes I can confirm that whenever you get out of the game, the progress in the grind trophies is lost. I had to grab 100 people in one session to unlock the trophy. So the previous 100+ people I grabbed during my last two runs and one of my grinding sessions did not count at all. It is really bothersome to do it this way but at least you are guaranteed that you will get the trophies.

Edited by ZOLANTON

and here's what i found

after not getting couple of the trophies that i should have at the end of the game and then noticing that i wasn't getting a trophy for data sticks i had to collect all 50 without quitting the game for the trophy to unlock

it puzzled me that none of the guides mentioned this issue and they all advise to make frequent backups so why it doesn't work anymore?

because of the patch

i deleted the game, downloaded it and installed again but this time i didn't install the patch

in kalinatek i disarmed 2 wall mines and saved on save0 and quit the game to xmb, booted up, loaded up the save and disarmed next 13 wall mines, totalling at 15 - trophy unlocked

in abattoir (freezer) i blew up 8 guys with frag grenade and saved on save1, then blew up the single guy before jumping to the sewer and mission checkpoint, after the autosave i knocked out 2 guys in the 'stables' and saved on save 2 then blew them up totalling at 11 - trophy unlocked

without the patch in play there's no fear about quitting the game or using save rotation at least as far cumulative trophies go

i haven't finished my second run yet so i can't confirm if it will solve the issue of 'the big 4 glitch' especially that i've deleted the patched game data only after 4th mission but i'll update my results when i get to the end

EDIT: i can fully confirm that playing WITHOUT the patch is the key

i've just finished second run on normal after deleting the patch only after 4th mission and finished the game with quitting to xmb and saving on different save slots and i got stealth operative, passive agression and immune (didn't get urban legend cos i funked up a few times without backing up cos i didn't expect it would really work :rolleyes:)

EDIT 2: got urban legend as well, again with using different save slots and quitting the game

Edited by AnnMaRou

• 4 years later...
and here's what i found

after not getting couple of the trophies that i should have at the end of the game and then noticing that i wasn't getting a trophy for data sticks i had to collect all 50 without quitting the game for the trophy to unlock

it puzzled me that none of the guides mentioned this issue and they all advise to make frequent backups so why it doesn't work anymore?

because of the patch

i deleted the game, downloaded it and installed again but this time i didn't install the patch

in kalinatek i disarmed 2 wall mines and saved on save0 and quit the game to xmb, booted up, loaded up the save and disarmed next 13 wall mines, totalling at 15 - trophy unlocked

in abattoir (freezer) i blew up 8 guys with frag grenade and saved on save1, then blew up the single guy before jumping to the sewer and mission checkpoint, after the autosave i knocked out 2 guys in the 'stables' and saved on save 2 then blew them up totalling at 11 - trophy unlocked

without the patch in play there's no fear about quitting the game or using save rotation at least as far cumulative trophies go

i haven't finished my second run yet so i can't confirm if it will solve the issue of 'the big 4 glitch' especially that i've deleted the patched game data only after 4th mission but i'll update my results when i get to the end

EDIT: i can fully confirm that playing WITHOUT the patch is the key

i've just finished second run on normal after deleting the patch only after 4th mission and finished the game with quitting to xmb and saving on different save slots and i got stealth operative, passive agression and immune (didn't get urban legend cos i funked up a few times without backing up cos i didn't expect it would really work :rolleyes:)

EDIT 2: got urban legend as well, again with using different save slots and quitting the game

Oddly enough I am at the start of the 4th mission on my 8th playthrough. I am going to try deleting the patch and then completing it again tomorrow, in one sitting though. Haven't decided whether to use multiple saves or stick to one though. I just can't see how deleting the patch would work because I actually tried reloading my end of presidential palace save and completed it without the patch and it didn't work, so I can't see why it would anytime before then, especially halfway through the game. But it worked for you, so my fingers are crossed and I'm trying this tomorrow. 8th time a charm as they (never) say...

9th playthrough without the update, PSN version. Didn't work :(

Edited by PainOfDemise

Dooby, I've seen people try and butt heads with a computer before and it's my opinion that's just never going to work out. It's pretty obvious either you or the game is doing something wrong. Repeat retries on a computer program isn't really something that would ever change the outcome, if you reproduce the same steps a computer program will generally give you the same result every time. When I test the outcome I need to do it only twice, if I get the same result both times I can already conclude "alright, what I did doesn't work".

None of the Splinter Cells had problematic trophies for me, then again I used the disc version. I suggest you try the disc instead for your next playthrough. I'd also delete my save and start fresh, keep a single slot for a single playthrough. Using Quick Save is just fine, but if you have to reload I'd rather quit to Main Menu and properly load. If you've been Quick Loading that messes with the counters. You might want to go to the PS3 Maintenance Menu and Rebuild Database for the odd chance there's something wrong on the OS side.

Just saying think out of the box. If you keep doing the same thing with the same circumstances, you keep getting the same thing out of it. If what you get out of it is not what you want, you need to start doing something else, change the circumstances.

None of the Splinter Cells had problematic trophies for me, then again I used the disc version. I suggest you try the disc instead for your next playthrough. I'd also delete my save and start fresh, keep a single slot for a single playthrough. Using Quick Save is just fine, but if you have to reload I'd rather quit to Main Menu and properly load. If you've been Quick Loading that messes with the counters. You might want to go to the PS3 Maintenance Menu and Rebuild Database for the odd chance there's something wrong on the OS side.

Just saying think out of the box. If you keep doing the same thing with the same circumstances, you keep getting the same thing out of it. If what you get out of it is not what you want, you need to start doing something else, change the circumstances.

I tried all of those things man. Disc, Not quick loading and manual loading. Etc. Anyway I think it's glitched and I tried it on another PS3 so I don't think rebuilding the database would change anything if a different PS3 (therefore a different database) didn't.

Anyways no worries, I've given up on it now I'm not interested in playing it again haha. I love Splinter Cell but I definitely do t have any intentions on playing it again so I'm sticking with 82%. Shame because I really did do everything right. But worse things happen at sea so I'm good.:cool: