Gamespot gave it a 4.5 while IGN gave it a 4!

LightChild

That's just wrong! The game is really fun. Was it not fun for them? Were they just looking at the technical sides of the game while playing? I mean even technically the game isn't that bad. I don't get them, I really don't! That's why I say play a game if you find it fun and take the reviews from critics with a grain of salt. Just cause they give it a poor score does NOT mean you will not have fun with it. I still don't understand how the game is SO terrible technically to get such a bad score...

I like this game a lot. I have no idea what it was that the reviewers were looking for. It's a brawler and not genre redefining. So what? LittleBigPlanet, RDR, Black Ops - those games are complex and innovative, and deserve their high scores. This game doesn't fail at having the qualities of those games because it is not trying to. But it's still fun and I haven't come across any game-killing issues yet. I'd give it a 7.

ever think about reading a review, just beacuse the game may be fun to you doesnt mean it doesnt have problems

Splatterhouse Review for PlayStation 3 - GameSpot

The Bad Awful platforming. Side-scrolling sections are full of cheap deaths, Jittery camera, Inexcusably long load times, All sorts of botched details, glitches, and other flaws.

Splatterhouse Review - PlayStation 3 Review at IGN

Closing Comments

Let’s be honest: Splatterhouse was always the video game equivalent of an exploitation flick. In an era where games were dominated by perky platformers and colorful beat-em-ups, Splatterhouse was a breath of rotten air, full of gore, secondhand references to horror movie icons, and cheap thrills - sort of like the movies it took inspiration from. But, like so many horror remakes of the last few years, little of the original Splatterhouse’s charm has been left intact, and the half-baked mechanics and graphic content can’t make up the difference. Other games have managed to marry over-the-top violence and sex with sound game design, and Splatterhouse just feels like an imitator.

ever think about reading a review, just beacuse the game may be fun to you doesnt mean it doesnt have problems

Even accepting this as an acceptable criterion for a rating, Splatterhouse does not have the level of problems that the reviewers state.

cheap deaths? why don;t they fucking wait and evaluate the surroundings?... long loads? sure but not as bad as Mod Nation Racers or Bayonetta's...

they just rushed the game, died a lot and blamed the game... jittery camera? yes, but it never got in the way... gamespot and IGN are the WORSE reviewrs... i used to make video game reviews and i know what to really point out and how to make a proper review... they suck at it... theyre biased and tend to give a personal opinion rather than a proffesional review...

Splatterhouse is far from perfect, but its still a lot of fun... but believing everyhting u read is as stupid as believing in what ur told to believe... thats why u should play a game b4 u attack it by using someone else's viewpoint, SPECIALLY when they think that GoW invented the beat em up genre and that only GoW is the good beat em up/hack and slash game...

I did read the reviews, and they are wayyy over exaggerated. The problems of this game are magnified like 10 times by Gamespot and IGN. The game has some slight problems, they are not NEARLY as HUGE as Gamespot and IGN are falsely magnifying it to be....that's my opinion and how I feel about it and I'm sure there are many others who would agree with me and say that this game is in fact pretty awesome and pretty damn fun....and I agree with Drexiel that maybe you should play the game and form your own opinion instead of just listening to what critics are saying....

Edited by LightChild

The "cheap deaths" were on purpose. The 2D sections are supposed to be an homage back to the original days of Splatterhouse. What the reviewer considered a cheap death is pretty much the way games worked back then (no double jump and get hit by anything, you die). Even the music for those parts is a throwback.

And the loading complaint is frivolous. Many of the most recent games I've played, and honestly some of the most awesome (RDR, Enslaved, Mass Effect 2, AC Brotherhood, Fable 3) have significant loading. Such is just the nature of games currently. The loading times are no where near ModNation-level bad, and seemed on par with most games.

Most of the time, the reviews are fair. Really, I think you can only sort games into the good or broken category. Other than that, you need more info to see if it appeals to your taste - Mario Galaxy and Halo got pretty similar ratings, but that doesn't mean that they'll appeal to the same people. The reviews are pretty good at getting you the additional info needed to decide whether to play the game. This time, the reviews were just broken. Taste aside, the numerical score just doesn't correspond with the level of quality of the game, and the critical details were exaggerated at best, and delusions at worst.

This game could seriously benefit from a demo since the reviews are so off the mark.

Edited by jwb04f

The "cheap deaths" were on purpose. The 2D sections are supposed to be an homage back to the original days of Splatterhouse. What the reviewer considered a cheap death is pretty much the way games worked back then (no double jump and get hit by anything, you die). Even the music for those parts is a throwback.

And the loading complaint is frivolous. Many of the most recent games I've played, and honestly some of the most awesome (RDR, Enslaved, Mass Effect 2, AC Brotherhood, Fable 3) have significant loading. Such is just the nature of games currently. The loading times are no where near ModNation-level bad, and seemed on par with most games.

Most of the time, the reviews are fair. Really, I think you can only sort games into the good or broken category. Other than that, you need more info to see if it appeals to your taste - Mario Galaxy and Halo got pretty similar ratings, but that doesn't mean that they'll appeal to the same people. The reviews are pretty good at getting you the additional info needed to decide whether to play the game. This time, the reviews were just broken. Taste aside, the numerical score just doesn't correspond with the level of quality of the game, and the critical details were exaggerated at best, and delusions at worst.

This game could seriously benefit from a demo since the reviews are so off the mark.

I totally agree with you! Well said.

I like this game a lot. I have no idea what it was that the reviewers were looking for. It's a brawler and not genre redefining. So what? LittleBigPlanet, RDR, Black Ops - those games are complex and innovative, and deserve their high scores. This game doesn't fail at having the qualities of those games because it is not trying to. But it's still fun and I haven't come across any game-killing issues yet. I'd give it a 7.

LOL sorry, this is as far as i got! This is why Splatterhouse got bad reviews, the reviewers believe the same thing:eek:

I did read the reviews, and they are wayyy over exaggerated. The problems of this game are magnified like 10 times by Gamespot and IGN. The game has some slight problems, they are not NEARLY as HUGE as Gamespot and IGN are falsely magnifying it to be....that's my opinion and how I feel about it and I'm sure there are many others who would agree with me and say that this game is in fact pretty awesome and pretty damn fun....and I agree with Drexiel that maybe you should play the game and form your own opinion instead of just listening to what critics are saying....

Considering that the current metascore on it is 59, Id say that the reviewers might have at least some clue........

Considering that the current metascore on it is 59, Id say that the reviewers might have at least some clue........

Had the reviewers give the game a 6, which would be in line with the metascore, I'd say that's fair, and arguably right.

Normally i dont buy games by their reviews but i do read mostly all reviews possible before buying a game, i watch alot of game video's about the game I'm about to purchase but...

This has actually kept me from buying this game...

One part of me is gonna totally enjoy the gore, the simplistic hack n slash, platforming element.

But i read alot of crap about it looking like shit n such and... now a days i cant except a crappy looking game anymore.

I love heavy paced action and a fun story....

Anyone could convince me to get it and why?

Normally i dont buy games by their reviews but i do read mostly all reviews possible before buying a game, i watch alot of game video's about the game I'm about to purchase but...

This has actually kept me from buying this game...

But i read alot of crap about it looking like shit n such and... now a days i cant except a crappy looking game anymore.

I love heavy paced action and a fun story....

Anyone could convince me to get it and why?

Graphics wise, the game isn't Uncharted, but I would never say that they are ugly. They are the same run of the mill graphics this gen. They look kind of cell shaded like borderlands.

The most important thing is FUN FACTOR which this game has plenty of. I personally have wasted money over the years for games that never held a candle to the entertainment value that Splatterhouse has given me.

If I had to do it all over again, I would Buy Splatterhouse, day 1, no questions.

Fuck that shit, never listen to reviewers seriously. They get paid to make mayhem like this, i say go on and fucking play your games. The soundtrack is fucking badass, it has fucking terrorizer on it, what more can you want?

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/150/l_7a8b46dfaa4a4bf1af94fd09e8fb16a4.jpg

FUCKING TERRORIZER!

And after reading the part about cheap thrills and referrences to horror movie icons, god, should i banter about how unoriginal and uninspired other games are with their cameo appearances?

How long did you take on the first play thru... while getting most of the trophies done along the way?

Ten to Twelve?

I would of copped it today... but something tells me i m gonna get this from santa... read girlfriend.

Well, it's not a very long game. My quess is first run, less than 11 hours. If you are trying to get fighting and misc trophies out of the way that is.

Your hard run with maxed out Rick goes a lot faster, as long as you don't hit any snags.

This game looks awesome. I'm going to buy it for sure! I watched my friend play it, and HONESTLY what other game can you shove your fist up a four-legged demon creature, have its asshole pucker around your arm a little bit as you thrust it in and out and eventually tear out its innards and then hear the guy say "Oooh, what an asshole!!!" That has to be a moment that sticks with people...it sure did for me!

Screw reviews...I'm getting this game FOR SURE!:D:D:D

I haven't gotten my hands on the game yet so I can't speak for it personally, but I've watched the GameTrailers review and thought they were talking out of their ass. They showed what looked to be some amazingly fun gameplay in the background, and then completely rip on the game. Reviewers today generally rush the reviews and only focus on the little problems and make it appear worse then it should be, thus bashing a game that doesn't deserve it. Hell, even a friend of mine who had played the game twice over thought it deserved at least an 8. I'm sure how much the publisher pays them to review their game adds to the final score in some cases.